Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Eric V: Do you play any jazz?

Jazz'nRock'nBlues'nFolk.. paularve's Avatar

Eric V: Do you play any jazz?

Hey Eric,
    I was just wondering if you have any experience playing jazz... (Yeah, I ask since you've got long hair and all that! ) And what kind of jazz do you like to listen to?

Hi there,

Jazz, huh ? Hmmm, well, regarding my experiences with Jazz...
    A few years after I started playing, I listened to a lot of Jazz. Pretty much everything I could get my hands on. ( And believe me, some of that stuff was not really my Cup of tea", but I didnīt wanna admit that cuz I thought I simply didnīt understand it )

Listening to that stuff sure changed my way of using a fakebook, which I used to practice sight-reading back then. My phrasing and improvising became a bit more appropiate

Anyway, at the GIT, I was introduced to more jazz-music and sure played some, too.
    I still sometimes enjoy to play some, like when jamming with others, and sometimes I occasionally play jobs where I play jazz, like big band stuff or fusion. ( and I like those jobs too )
    But I guess I would not be considered a "real" jazz-player. Maybe someday in the future... =)

Currently, I especially enjoy bebop and cool jazz, such as old Miles Davis-records. In February, I listened to nothing else but "Kind Of Blue" for almost a whole week. This is IMHO a good starting-point anyway to get into jazz...
    Eric