Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Is there any way to hide the tab in a ptb?

Is there any way to hide the tab in a ptb?

Hey, I really find it more rewarding and better practise if I sightread pieces, and I find it intensely hard to concentrate on notes when theres that goddamn easy-way-out tab below it - I know theres a way to hide the music in ptbs, but is there a way to only print out just the music?

Thanks
    Joshua

I don't know anything about the program, but you could always print out both and just scribble over the tab so you can't read it...

you could export the staves as BMPS and then cut only the music and paste it staff by staff into a new sheet.

Or, export the midi and open it with cakewalk, finale notebook, band in a box or some free notation program.
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I suppose I could do that... but its a lot of work
    I wish the developers would just include a hide tab option

There are a lot of things you would have a very difficult time learning if the actual person who played it didn't provide you with TAB. TAB is another more succinct way of comminicating the actual execution of Guitar/Banjo etc..
    The marriiage of TAB and standard notation is a very good thing. Unfortunately POWERTAB is in its final* version and will not be upgraded, maybe some other TAB program will provide this option.
    * This is an assumption on my part by the date and infromation I have read from the official POWERTAB site.

On a related note: For you uses of LINUX, POWERTAB can be installed under WINE.
    I don't know if MAC OS has WINE or somthing like it, but if it does it should install there as well.
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

I had EXACTLY that problem, triyng to practice, qhen my eyes just went subcnciously to the tab, and yes, I did, that bmp trick and it takes a lot of time.
    BUT i found another way. It doesn't eliminates the tab but it makes you not looking at it:

The magic trick i going to guitar settings and changing the tuing of the guitar so the tab is showing a tablature that does not work with yor tuning. Then, transpose the tab with the tools rovided. (Be careful with some changes you may not notice).
    Unless you are very good transposing your eyes will understand that the tab provides no valuabe information.

And now I think.. maybe could be posibe to export midi an then import it with another tab settings to do the same trick without using transposing tools?

Erm well...I have this if you wanna shred some

Actually nevermind. It had tab udnerneath too. It was a Michael Angelo Shred with 16th in sextuplets
    Last edited by The Trooper; 01-03-2007 at 04:54 PM.
    We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground, and the Russians fire another round...

well if you have Guitar Pro as well you could import the powertab then in GP remove the tab leaving just the standard notation, and vice versa. good for saving printing ink.