Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Falling fifths exercise

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Falling fifths exercise

Another good key changing exercise is done with the use of only major scales to start... I start playing around in C major and then at some point it is kind of like musical chairs in that I think to myself "Stop", wherever I happen to land I modulete to the key of F in my mind and try to find a note in the F scale from where ever I am.

Maybe I even land on a note in the next scale when I stop. Then while in F, I will just stop at some point and look for notes in the Bb Major scale. Much of jazz moves in falling fifths, like Blues for Alice as a good example..

Point is that it trains the mind to think through the key changes and then adjust to the new key. It is a practice technique I have adapted from piano. It's alot easier on piano, if you ask me but great for guitarists..

YOu can do this with any mode, like play phrygian and then modulete up a perfect 4th (falling 5th) and so on....

letmeknowwhatyouthinkman

This is a good exercise and you should realize that you are just flatting the 7th each time. Starting from C major flat each one of these in order (keeping the previous flats) Bb,Eb,Eb,Db,Gb,Cb,Fb. If you can just keep in mind you are loweing the 7th degree each time it is easier. If you want to go the other direction raise the 4th. I posted a cycles chart a couple of years ago
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ghlight=cycles
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Tetra chords

Sounds kind of like tetra chords with the cycle of fifths.. Where the the last 4 notes of a scale are the first 4 of the next. Hence, C Major is C D E F G A B C and "G A B C" are the first 4 notes of the G scale.

It just continues on, D E F# G is the last 4 of the G Maj scale and the first of the D Major.

A B C# D are the last 4 of D Major and the first 4 of A Major.

You just keep building from there.