Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Strumming chords with fingers/hands

Licensed Moose

Strumming chords with fingers/hands

Anybody have any pointers or advice for strumming chords with fingers or hands at all? I have recently been playing a ton on my acoustic, and practicing my fingerstyle, and I'm looking to incorporate chords and acoustic percussion into this.

Thanks,

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

Try a combination of finger nails on the down strum and index or ring meaty part on the up strum. There are many ways of doing it. Find one you like and watch others to see if they have something you can try.

I use the nail of my index goin down, and nail of thumb coming up for th emost part. If I want a little more sound, Ill use all 4 fingers (besides thumb) for the downstroke.

The key when doing this is not to move your arm very much. Rather, you are just rotating your wrist like you are turning a key in a door knob, which minimizes the movements.

hope that helps.

Licensed Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by Roobs
    I use the nail of my index goin down, and nail of thumb coming up for th emost part. If I want a little more sound, Ill use all 4 fingers (besides thumb) for the downstroke.

The key when doing this is not to move your arm very much. Rather, you are just rotating your wrist like you are turning a key in a door knob, which minimizes the movements.

hope that helps.
    That's the way I've been doing it because it's the way that feels most comfortable for me, and it sounds a lot better to me than when I use the fleshy part of my fingers. The problem is, that I'm catching the skin near the back of the nails on the strings as I strum, and it's ripping it off.

I played a similar way before at a party, when I'd had a little too much to drink, and ended up cutting my fingers open to the point where they were bleeding (hey I was drunk), and getting blood in the inside of my friends John Lennon tribute acoustic.

I'll play about with it a bit more and work on it a bit.

Thanks,
    Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.