Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lucas Burge's Perfect and Relative Pitch courses

Glad I could help!

Getting better

Slowly I am getting better at doing MC 22 drills.
    I am very satisfied with its results so far.

My level of RP?

Slim to none I guess.
    I would not be able to name any interval or chord at all. Yeah, I guess if I would know what the tones are I could tell the basic stuff like the major and minor chords like C/E/G or C/Eb/G or intervals like a major 2nd and so on. But I could not recognize it by ear alone, not at all.

I can't hardly wait for you to get to MC 22 Jazzy. Don't rush though, I'll just have to wait

Take care,

Elcon

One of the most easiest of the chords that I would recognize right away is the Maj7 chord. Dom7 is way easy, as it tends to go to the "tonic". I just love the way Maj7 sounds. Pretty much all the chords, I can tell by ear alone. Even the "difficult" chords like #9#5, min+Maj7, b9, #11, etc. But if you're going to ask me what notes are in the chord, that I cannot tell, that's what I'm developing right now -- perfect pitch. I would just know the quality of the chord not the exact pitches. All of the scales too -- major, minor (harmonic, melodic, natural), modal scales I can tell by ear but not the exact name (key) of the scale. In time I've already developed a very good relative pitch, because that's what mainly is developed in music colleges. Solfege can be a good exercise for developing it as well as music dictation. So through exercise and drills you too can have a good relative pitch. By the way, just a tip, it's good to start learning all the perfect intervals at first.

Hey Elcon, it's good to hear you're doing good at MC 22 now. I'm not rushing or something, I'm just taking my time. At first, I remember, I was so excited to go to the next drills when everything seems a bit easy to me, but now I'm allowing my ear to grow how ever long or quick it would take. Right now, I'm happy with what I can hear but of course I can't stop there. I just finished MC 17 and I'll start working the drills on MC 18 tomorrow.

By the way, I added you to my Yahoo list the other day, have you checked your YM? Same with Chris Nosal, I just added him. How are you doing with the course now, Chris? We haven't heard anything from you lately, though. We hope to hear news from you, man, as well as those working on their perfect pitch or relative pitch courses. I think this forum is a support group as well. Take care y'all.

Cool !

Just did my daily ear training and I've had a breakthrough.

You know that feeling when you realise that you are hearing something for real, that you are really hearing it. Well I just had that feeling !!

I was practicing my 4th and all of a sudden it clicked and I could sing 4ths from any root. I started with Do - Fa from the Solfege that I was reading yesterday and it clicked. Previously I had been singing 1 - 4 or just humming.

I know that I have the 4th now because I had the same feeling when I recognised the 5th.

This is cool !!

I will continue to practice the 4th till Sunday to really solidify it in my ear then I'll start on the Maj 3rd.

How long should a person practice intervals for ? I think Burge says something like 20 minutes of ear training per day max. I am taking heed, I'll do a bit but will leave enough to make sure that I will do my exercises the next day.

Strange that Burge says that though cause guys like Vai spend whole days transcribing stuff.

Any thoughts ?

Chat stuff

When I tried to add my MSN handle here on iBreatheMusic, it said it was wrong or something.

I have MSN, Yahoo and AIM (CompuServe Instant Messenger)

For MSN I use my own name Elcon and the e-mail adress is elmegoo@hotmail.com
    For Yahoo I have elmegoo and elconceive
    And for AIM I use elconcrete

You are almost there Jazz. I am very happy for your progression on the course.

Eartraining sessions

I am not too sure what you mean Gstring, but if it is about how long one should spend eartraining for I say it depends.

Many months ago I used to do 1 hour of eartraining each session, then I cut it down to 45 minutes and now, since a few months, I take 30 minutes maximum per session.

It definately makes a difference.
    For me it all has to do with concentration and the mind processing I think.

I try to sense my wellbeing with care when I eartrain, since my eagerness to continue may overcome.

And that is funny, because often I really feel like going for these 30 minutes as I really want to progress fast, but then suddenly after 15-20 minutes I sense that I loose "energy" or something. That's when I know I should stop and so I do.

Next: Degree of development

Take care,

Elcon

Degree of development

I believe that for some things, the better you get at it, the longer you can spend time on it.

Perhaps when you first start to learn how to read, you may want to do not more then 15 at a time. When you get better, you can have 30 minutes a time.
    And when you are able to read fluently, you can read all day.

Sure, concentration and your focus may decline, but you will still be able to read right? Whether you have conceived and understood the lines is something else.

Maybe with Eartraining it is the same thing.
    Whenever you get to the point of getting it without much or any thought, you can listen and/or transcribe music all day, just like reading or naming colors.

Take care,

Elcon

I guess I'm just running a little slow lol...the solo practice just didn't really seem to go for me so I went back and decided to start with the partner exercieses using Tonequiz which I decided to register because it seemed like a good program. I'm only on MC 8 but it's progress. My ear I found is one of those really stubborn ones Burge speaks of in his course...but I'm gonna keep plugging until I get their. The payment of perfect pitch is too great an offer to pass up...It's gonna be a push for me but I'm gonna make it!

PS - I'm going to be around most of the day so if anyone can go on Instant Messenger I'd be very eager to talk to you in directly.
    Last edited by c_n12; 08-31-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Elcon - what part of the Netherlands are you from ? I was born in Hoorn and lived there for 10 years before we moved to Australia ( although I live in Ireland now ).

You answered my question perfectly BTW.

I am actually practicing my intervals in little bursts. Maybe a few minutes every hour.
    I'd like to have my intervals down before the end of the year, hopefully it will be possible.

Thanks again, Elcon. So you're from Holland, eh? That's I lovely place I'm told. I hope we can have a l'il chit chat on Yahoo, and you too Chris. You're ear is growing, Chris, you may not notice it, just keep on doing it and do it with concentration and easiness.

Well, congratulations, Gstring! You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. You guys have lots of money to spend. I wish I'm earning a lot to buy things I wanted.

Netherlands

I live in Rotterdam.

Practicing in little bursts, may be good.

Just had a great chat on Yahoo with Chris Nosal.

Take care,

Elcon

Quote Originally Posted by Elcon

Maybe with Eartraining it is the same thing.
    Whenever you get to the point of getting it without much or any thought, you can listen and/or transcribe music all day, just like reading or naming colors.

Elcon

We must all remember also, we are all learning a skill that, ideally, is best learned in early development, because at that time acquiring perfect pitch is likely a much more unconscious experience.
    Last edited by c_n12; 09-01-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Hi Chris - how are you finding the RP course ?

Can't wait till my RP course arrives. How long did your course take to arrive Chris ?

Was your ear as good as you thought when you did the RP course exams ?

Dillegently practised my 5ths & 4ths today - will start my Maj 3rds on Monday.

Oh - appearently guitarist Eric Johnsons ears are so good that he can tell the difference between the brand of battieries in his equipment ?!?!?!

Yngwie also supposedly has perfect pitch but I have not heard of his 'feats' yet ( apart from his playing of course ).

BTW I am currently playing a lot of fingerstyle acoustic guitar.

Well I ordered next day air so I got it at about 10:30 the morning after I purchased it. And I haven't actually started it yetm I got it more recently and am still on Perfect Pitch. And that Eric Johnson thing sounds like crap. it dosen't make sense that the power source would affect the sound of the equipment. And fingerpicking is wonderful! It can be complex but it can create extraordinary beauty.