Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lucas Burge's Perfect and Relative Pitch courses

Elcon I just wanted to thank you for bringing the ToneQuiz software to my attention. I have been struggling with the solo exercises because they just don't seem to work for me as a learning style. And since I am still in the preparatory stages I've decided to go back and start from scratch with my "partner" which I have found much more oriented to my learning style. I seem to be making much better progress. I just wanted to personally thank you for bringing that software to my attention.

Tone Quiz

No problem guys... ladies in tha house?

Yeah, I really enjoy working with TQ.
    It functions great as a partner as I my brothers would just not want nor have the patience to sit behind the synth and do some random chords for me.

Man, I hope you'll get through the course succesfully Jazzkid. I do not have any tips for you but to just continue the course and never to forgot to always use your relative pitch freely when you need to or when it naturally comes in to play. Never let try to block it.

I HAD to use relative pitch when I got stuck on MC22. I did not tell you about that one huh? I'll tell ya...

When I first did the course (and I did it three times) the first and second time I could not do MC22. It was impossible!!! I could not even do a single chord.

Somehow the tones sounded extremely different and even though I tried as hard as I could to use RP, I could not get it.

Yes, I know now, don't force just listen.

I wanted to tell you what I did, but maybe I should not.
    Just go through the MC's and maybe, I hope not, when you too are unable to do MC22, I will tell you what I did.

Forgive me for not going any further, but it may not be good. I don't know, I just figured you should hear for yourself and work your ear your own way.

Take care,

Elcon

It's so nice to see how this forum turned into a "support group".

Thanks for the tip, Elcon. A good sense of relative pitch is something I have prior to when I first started the perfect pitch course and I never block it in anyway as I found it really is helpful in gaining perfect pitch. When I noticed that I can identify all white tones on the keyboard with speed (just by listening, of course), I got so excited and so I thought this could be perfect pitch because I can hear the pitch distinctly. But when I got to MC 12 I learned that what really happened there is I got what Mr. Burge calls "absolute relative pitch". Then I get it, how whenever I hear a pitch I would immediately hear C. He also said that that's when perfect pitch mixes up with relative pitch. The exercises here on Phase 2 are really cool because they somehow break that feeling of relating every tone to C, especially doing those chord followed by any black tone, there's no more relating. And my memory of the pitches are doing great now. Like when I just woke up this morning, I heard a C augmented chord in my head. I tried to unlock it in my head to see if the tones are C, E and G#, then I checked on the keyboard, it's correct!

Elcon, has it happened to you that you kinda hear a tone in your head and you're definitely sure that that tone is that tone? I mean, whenever I hear C, Ab, G, B and E in my head I immediately know them. Like this Ab, it lingers in my head even when I've never done any drill that day.

Is ToneQuiz a free soft? I use Functional Ear Trainer whenever I feel like checking myself. It's a nice soft too, you can set all the notes, it plays chords, etc.

It had happened several times when I heard a tone in my and knew what it was yes.

Tone Quiz is shareware, you can only use it for 20 times. I'll check out the Functional Ear Trainer aswell.

Looks like you are doing good Jazz.
    You might even get there before I do!

Take care,

Elcon

Functional Ear Trainer is a freeware. I always have negative feeling towards sharewares, though. Because as we all know, you can only use them for a short time then comes the expiration. I used a freeware version of Ear Master before. That helped me with my relative pitch. I only use FET when I feel like checking myself with random notes. It's like having a partner testing you. Nice soft, though.

Are you doing the solo keyboard drills, Elcon? By the way, what instrument/s do you play? And what's your genre?

Drill type

I worked on the "solo keyboard drills".

I am more of a vocalist then an instrument player. I own a syntheziser keyboard and years ago I used to play some songs that I would figure out by ear.
    I have not done that in a while.

I like all kinds of genres, but I do favor R&B and Hip Hop aswell as Classical, Soul and Jazz.

Take care,

Elcon

That's cool! I'm eclectic too when it comes to music. I love all sorts -- World, Jazz, Pop, Gospel, Blues, R&B, Classical, Avant-Garde, etc. That's probably because I grew up in a home where diverse musical styles are always being played.

I would play music by ear too, and most of the times I transcribe them. Part of the reason why I would like to have this p. pitch ability is because I wanted to be more accurate with my transcriptions and I wanted to do it faster (without the aid of an instrument beside me). I used to transcribe music using mostly relative pitch, but now I wanted to have p. pitch so I can listen more. In short, I wanted to have a really excellent ear, and that could only be attained through practice, we all know that.

Relative Pitch

Hi all,

Just joined - first post etc.

I am very into improving my ear. At the moment I am practicing 4th & 5th intervals as well as Major / Minor Triads. Progress is OK and I am used to hearing those intervals now. ie I can sing a 5th above the root when only the root is played.

I see on the David Burge ear training course that 3rds are next.

I am thinking about purchasing the David Burge Relative Pitch Course.

Is it recommended ?? I am interested to see what 'keys' he uses.

I only play the intervals ( notes seperately and then sing them back ). I plan to do this for every interval and only then will I start practicing harmonic intervals.

Should I buy the Relative Pitch course ?

Working on...

Everywhere you come on a forum about perfect pitch talks, you have people to say:

"Well, it is much better to just develop relative pitch then perfect pitch, relative pitch is much more important and a need for working on music"

Something in that flavor right?

I too believe that if you are just trying to become better at music you should first start with relative pitch for that is what music is all about.
    If your RP is "good" enough, then all you would need to know is the very first tone.

Perhaps if you believe you have developed your musical eartraining to its fullest for what RP concerns, you may think that PP will be the key for further improvement.

If so, I will agree.

This is not the case for me.
    Although I am also a musician, it was not the intention to develop PP in order to make me a better one. If that was the case I too would first start to focus on my RP development which is an unlimited path to completeness.

I want PP just for fun, no serieus intentions at all. Oh sure yeah, I did get just a tiny little bitty obsessed by it, but... Just for fun?!

Next coming up: Sound perception

Take care,

Elcon

Sound perception

When trying to identify the tones within a chord seems not a simplistic task when the sound comes out of more then one box.

There is a smaller one to the upper left of me, next to my computer screen, to the upper right the bigger one (having the on/off and bass boost buttons) and just a little further to the right the other smaller one.

I had noticed how each tone of a chord has its own direction into space. So, I may sit this way only hearing C and A, but sitting that way I may hear C, A and Bb. Yet, sitting another way I may hear C, A, Bb and F# (which is one of the overtones)

Each position I take gives me a clearer of different perception of the tones within that chord. This is a challenging way of practice, but also a tricky one.

I need to change position until I atleast hear three tones, for that is my setting to the exercise, but if I hear four or more tones I need to decipher which to dismiss.

You may think that is all? No.

Still I can also get a question where one tone is dubble like: C#, B, B.

Usually I can tell that one of the tones is dubble, but I am somehow unable to tell wich one. It is funny to know that I am usually wrong on this guess so I would answer: C#, C#, B.

But, would I sit in a other position hearing a overtone which would make me believe there is none dubble...

Yesterdaynight I came home and wanting to do one more session before going to bed. Since I did not wanted to disturb the familymembers, I put on my headphones. This got me a much better perception of the tones.

I now still prefer without the headphones though.
    Makes it more challenging which I like.

Take care,

Elcon
    Last edited by Elcon; 08-30-2006 at 12:43 PM.

I would like PP.....no doubts about it.

However I first want an excellent RP ability.

Therefore I am starting from scratch - 4th & 5th intervals & Octaves.

I really have the 5th nalied, working on the 4ths now with Major 3rds next.

As mentioned previously I am thinking of getting David Burges RP lessons.

I'd like to buy Lesson 1 individually but I think that you can only buy the whole set. Bit more expensive so a bit more thinking involved.

I would recommend Mr. Burge's Relative Pitch Course. I sampled some of the tracks before and planned to purchase it, but as you know it's so expensive and right now I can't buy something with that price tag. I too dreamed of having the set of CDs. There are actually installment plans if ever you can't afford that $300. If you haven't checked the website I think you should go there.

Mr. Burge has a way of telling and making you understand things, he's really good at it and so far with my experience with his Perfect Pitch course, I can say I learned a lot from the guy. Other than Mr. Burge there are actually some softwares that can help you have a good relative pitch, like Ear Master, Ear Test, Functional Ear Trainer, etc. and of course some books. But of course it's different when you have someone telling how to go about on things like with Mr. Burge's audio CD course.

Elcon, that's a nice topic you brought up. I too notice the same things, like when you shift positions you hear differently. So how are you doing with MC 22 now? I'm near accomplishing MC 17. Some of the drills are not easy now, they can be tricky.

Jazz & Elcon,

What level of RP do you guys have ?

If I were to play an Maj7 or Dom7th chord would you be able to tell me what kind of chord it is ( without me saying this is either Maj7 or Dom7th ) ?

What about if I were to play a Lydian scale ?

Just wondering.

I've also spend a lot of time transcribing of records but I'd like to hear things better without a guitar in my hand.

Actually I got both programs brand new through eBay for about $240.00 (P.P $69.50, R.P $169.00) Both arrived brand new and in the box. They were completely identical to the items I would have gotten had I purchased them through Burge's web site. if your interested the eBay page details how they offer such good prices.

Ebay Pages:
    Perfect Pitch
    Relative Pitch

Thanks C - I've just ordered my RP package.