Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's running through your mind when you improvise?

I realised recently that I have nil ability to improvise freely. It's all chops licks and patterns.

So generally I'm thinking:

A doo de doo doo doo dooo
    dee dupee do o dooo doo. Where did i leave that key?
    Hmm, a boo bup dee dup doo bap. work tomorrow ho hum
    scoop ded daddle...oh! Time to stop soloing now and go back to a verse. sorry lads.

I'm working on it.

yep...same here !

Its all about getting your shapes, licks and tricks to try and fit they key / mood of whatever your playing over.

Makes you feel kind of inadequate in a way.....suppose this is why all the great jazz improvisers are old wrinklys !

Daz

Where the **** are they now in the progression... ooops, not there, maybe already at the 8th bar... ooops, ok 12th bar then..., hmm sounds like the piano guy has started his solo so maybe I should stop

lol...

"Hm...the audience is drunk.. so am i.. what song are we playing? Runaway - yeah Sambora rocks.. alright let's do something in Am then.. hey look at that cute one with the curly hair... if she would like to ...where is my beer? Oops solo is coming up..where is my channelswitch pedal *puts down beer and jumps onto the pedal* Wahoo.. just right in time.. yeah now that double stop.. time for the bending-guitarface... ah dammit..dropped the pick...where is it..ohwell let's do some tapping then.. hey.. there was that cool lick i saw at iBreathe - gonna try it.. oops arghh.. should have practiced more.. time to drop on my knees and do the "praying to the guitar god pose".... *sliding on my knees to the footpedal bending and shaking b-string 18fret up a wholestep and switch to rhythm sound with the other hand*... oh good.. there's more beer over there.. where is the curly one.. and why is the singer screaming "we are playing runaway train by soul asylum you dumba**" to me?

Yeah.. Bon Jovi rocks..
    Last edited by phantom; 07-18-2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: bending the 18 fret a wholestep up.. not the 17th - would sound like cr*p

LMAO !!!!!

Ain't that the truth !!!!!!

Daz

Phantom you made me spit my coffee out when I read that!

yeah...Sambora...huh...huhhuh...yeah...Jovi...kewl .

Nothing, if I'm doing it right.

"play what you feel/hear"

but when the chord progression is too hard or i am not familiar with the tune i use scales and patterns....

i always aim for a melody though

i'm playing the musical translation of my thoughts
    - Dave

Deep.

What's wierd though...I am playing the musical translation of your thoughts too!

I usually figure out what scale and key I'm in also roughly how fast the tempo is. If it's a new progression I try to figure out how I'm gonna connect the chords. I don't conciously think too much during the actual improvising just let rip.

Thinking too much gives me a migrane anyway......

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Playing live

When I play live I am usually thinking about the little cutie sitting in the club staring at me....

I'm not as good as many of the players on here but I do keep aware of the key/chords(or intervals at least) I use most of the time. Something I learned from Satriani in an old Guitar Techniques magazine was that "wreckless abandon is the way go, turn your brain off" I try to do a little of this each day because it will take a long time to get anywhere near satch's level to do this freely.

What is the next chord? Can I use that new thing I just practiced over it? Can I use a cool substitution over it? Can I keep my vibratto from getting fast and squirrelly (like Kirk Hammet) and RELAX? How fast can I really play this part with out it becoming slop? (maybe like 2/3rds as fast as I can in my easy chair) I HEAR really cool stuff in my head that I wanna play, but I can only imitate it a little, so what parts of the cool thing I hear in my head do I need to try and do and what parts do I need to remember for later so I can work on them (a lot!) before I try them in the highly adrenilized state? Oops that was off, I hope no one noticed! Gee this guitar sounds good! Can I slow things down a little and just play with feel? (think Reverend Billy G). That girl has a pretty dress! Why did I put the par can right there and blind myself from my pedal. Which patch was that anyway? I need somthing to drink, OH SH&T I don't remember what the next vocal line is...
    "Listen to the Spaces Between the sounds."
    Hidden Content