Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: "I got rythm" Analysis?

"I got rythm" Analysis?

Somebody posted this link in another thread a few days ago:

http://people.uncw.edu/russellr/rhythm.html

It tells the chord changes for the tune "I got rythm" and then delivers some even more jazzed chord variations. Anyway ═┤m trying to analyze the first 8 bars, and so far not everyhing is clear on WHY this works:

Here┤s the basic progression and my reasons why I think that it works:

Bb Gm | Cm F7 |Bb Gm | Cm F7 |
    Bb Bb7 | Eb Ebm | Bb F7 | Bb |

Everything is diatonic in here ecxept the Bb7 which functions as a secondary dominant ( is this the right expression?? its when you make the chord leading to another one a dom 7 chord, therefore it tricks the listener into thinking that there┤s a new tonal center. In this case Bb7 leads to Eb...)

Here┤s the jazzed up progression:

Bb Bb7/D | Eb Edim | Bb/F Dbdim | Cm F7 |
    Bb Bb7/D \ | Eb Ebm | Bb/F F7 | Bb ||

Compared to the basic version this features a B7/D, which is again a secondary dominant leading to Eb (Eb is a substituion for Cm here). Since I┤m no jazzer I dont really know what to make of the the Eb- Edim measure. Playing a major chord and its diminished version on half step higher occurs a few time in this prog, also its only one single note that changes between these 2, yet I dont know WHY it is like that (EDIT: Now that I think about it; it seems that THAT IS indeed the reason why it works as there┤s just a single note alteration between these two chords). Also I cant explain whats going on in measure 3 and 6 in the jazzed up version. Any suggestions?

thanks for your help!

ALEx:-)
    Last edited by leppard81; 06-05-2006 at 10:15 AM.
    We get the dreams that we deserve.... - Marillion

Hidden Content

Both diminished chords in the second version are used to lead into the chords that follow them. In each case, the bass note of the next chord is a half step away. The Edim7 moves to a chord with F in the bass (up a half step) and the Dbdim7 moves down to Cm7 (down a half step). Half step resolutions are very strong, especially with dim7 chords.

This example of the A section is very uncommon today. In fact, I've never played a tune that used it. The website showed this is an example of the evolution of the A section, and all the examples that follow this are very common today.

Thanks for your reply, Poparad!

One more question though about your first paragraph: Are there any more short rules on how to apply half step resolutions with dim7-chords. Or is this about it? No need to dive too deep into theory, allthough it would be interesting, but so far adding a fitting diminished chord to a progression seems to be a great songwriting tool. e.g. I-IV-bVdim-IV sounds pretty cool.......

Hidden Content

Usually it's placed a half step below the next chord, in which it's really acting as a V-I. If you take the root out of the V7b9 chord, you get a dim7 chord. For example, A7b9 to Dm7 becomes C#dim7 to Dm7.

The other common use is to simply put it a half step above the next chord, like in the last A section of All the Things You Are (Dbmaj7, Dbm7, Cm7, Bdim7, Bbm7).

Cool! So what I (theoretically) could do to get a progression would be using a secondary dominant progression and substitute a V with VII and get something like this for example:

A7-D-Ebdim-E

Though I still dont get how the use of a "Eb Edim" bar in the key of Bb can be justified. Maybe because E-dim is on a bV-degree, therefore connected to the blue note in. or can it just be taken as a passing chord? Or am I stretching this one too far now?

ALEX :-)

Hidden Content

As I read through a few other posts on here, i think your answer in this thread
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11044

kinda makes it clear a bit more...

thanx

Hidden Content

It's not in the key. It's simply connecting the chords together chromatically.

Ok, I see. So its actually easier than I made it up my previous post. thanx again, seems to be a neat approach, not only for jazz........

Hidden Content

One more thing please, as i thought a bit more about my thread:

Beside the view that you link the chords chromatically via diminished chords, I could also assume that a Bb-Bdim-Cm-C#dim-Dm progression is actually a diatonic progression using secondary dominants, but subtsituting the V7 with a vii-dim . I know I actually did this in a post abovem but I just wanna make sure I┤m really right about this. Am I?

thanks again

Hidden Content

Right. That progression can also be seen as Bb-G7b9-Cm-A7b9-Dm

Great! Thanks again for your help....!

Hidden Content