Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you motivate yourself to play guitar?

well what goals do you recommend I set for this week? I really want to write at least one metal song, but I find that I don't have the speed or skills to write what I want, that is thrash and progressive metal. I mean I can do some cool fast riffs, but I have a hard time recording two tracks in stereo for rhythm, and making them sound in "sync." I feel like I might have to spend ages just practicing that riff and recording it until it is recorded perfectly for the dubbed rhythm, and that in turn kills my motivation to play.

What do guys think?

I hope you're using a metronome.

Quote Originally Posted by snufeldin
    I hope you're using a metronome.
    I am, but I still suck

Do you have a click track when you're recording?

Quote Originally Posted by snufeldin
    Do you have a click track when you're recording?
    absolutely, I still suck...

here's a sample of my suckiness:

http://streamer.soundclick.com/jarry...heavyintro.mp3

and

http://streamer.soundclick.com/jarry...rhythmtest.mp3

Hey, those have potential!

One thing I do when I don't really feel like serious practice so much, is to do some reading related to what it is I'm trying to learn. Watching an instructional video with a guitar in your lap can help too, before you know it you are raring to go.

Whenever I've neglected my instrument,due to sheer laziness and distraction it gets all the more difficult to get back to where i left,then starts the whole cycle of kicking my own butt to get back to practising and forging that bond with my guitar again,its like having a girlfriend who needs constant attention and fussing over[read playing/practice],you do that and then slowly she starts offering her secrets up to you thats my motivation guys

Motivation... It depends on what you want out of guitar. If you just want to be an ok player who can do intermidiate blues/rock/metal, then I don't know, because I can't comprehend ever being satisfied with just being capable, I know that I want to be excellent at the instrument, and better than the people I am listening to. I don't need motivating, I just know that excellence comes with hard work and sacrifice, and I accept that, and do it. If you aren't at the level you want to be at, then you need to practice, and you need to do it for 5-6 hours day in my opinion, you need to literally breathemusic, and not ask any questions in your head. The guitar is completely unfun for me at this time, the only fun is acomplishment, which is slow, and I can understand fully why many people would say to hell with it, but I have desire, will, disapline, and time, and if you have all that too, get off your lazy ***, and don't think along the lines of "I suck ;(", think "I can only get better", that is a much more positive way to think. If you think negatively all the time, you aren't going to get anywhere, so if you do nothing else, but atleast change the way you are thinking towards it, that is a major step in the right direction.

Just wanted to offer my thoughts for whatever they're worth . . . what was important to me was to find a style of practice that suited me because if you start getting frustrated then it becomes a slippery slope and one thats very difficult to turn around. As far as time management goes I'm really lucky in that I work part time to pay my rent and the rest of the time I'm playing my guitar , but I think if you can find different exercises or things to play that take up diferent amounts of time then even if you have five minutes and don't just want to play randomly you can draw on something that can help, or alternatively enough things to work on to fill a four or five hour practice. I know there are a few etudes and things on here and it might be good to learn a few of those. Also, keep recording yourself. Not only is it good practice because it does take a while to get used to playing once the record button's been pressed, but you can then focus on what has improved since a past recording. It's difficult to perceive slow and steady improvements but when you listen to old recordings of yourself you can easily tell how much you've improved. Above all I think you've just got to try and find ways of looking at what you're doing in a positive light. Whilst you need to know which areas you need to improve it's also important to focus on what you have achieved already. I don't know if this will be helpful but it's what works for me.

I think one problem that I've been battling my entire guitar life is sticking with a routine or exercise until I improve. I notice myself ALWAYS jumping from exercise to exercise or cover song to cover song, and so have not felt accomplished.

What do you guys make of this? Do you ever jump from one technique exercise to another to find yourself looping in a cycle of bearly any improvement?

I have definitely been recording myself over the years, even my exercise practices!

Here is a sample of my stuff:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=286711

compare the 1st and last song on the page, they are the exact same exercises at the same tempo. What do you guys think? Have I improved?
    Last edited by bball_1523; 04-15-2006 at 01:26 AM.

I motivate myself by setting a series of goals, say set aside some time and seperate the time sensibly for what you want to learn. For example 30mins of sweep picking, 30mins of speed picking excercises, that kinda thing. I found it useful and it took the daunting feeling away. My learning didn't seem to over power me anymore and after a few days (depending on your skill level) you can begin to see results.
    I also found it helpful to seek out other players, Satch, Vai, Gilbert etc and read things they've said and check out excercises they've got on the net or what ever and see how you cope with them. It's more of a confidence builder to be able to do things these awesome players can do because you realise once you have the hang of some of the things they do that it isn't that hard.

I get motivated by watching some of my favorite guitarists play. It doesn't take much to motivate me...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

When I started, I needed no motivation, I would just play. It made me a part of somthing bigger than the real world. BUT when I started I was young and i didnt understand the outside world. If I had started at the age I am now, four years from now(that how long I've been playing), I would be 21 and not half of the guitar player I am today. BECAUSE in the beggining I didn't have anything to worry about. You see now, I have a few personal problems, because I've ventured further into the world (alcohol, substances, things like that), I also have a life to live, and it seems like my guitar and I are closer together in some aspects, and farther away in some aspects. I've stopped trying to be a technique master and tried to start writing my own songs and becoming my own guitar player. But I lost somthing while I was out drinking and partying, and that was a love for the instrument. The point is, we all get sidetracked, but if you love it, you'll always comeback to it. Atleast that's the way it is for me.

Later,
    Ryan

Absolutely. I was propperly down in the dumps for varous reasons and really lost touch with my playing and where I wanted to go. When that happens try thinking why you started playing in the first place - the things that made you want to pick up a guitar at all.

For me it was a combination of relearning all the old stuff I started with and taking inspiration from the kids I teach, then thinking about where I wanted to go and who I wanted to be as a guitar player and what I could do to get there. My practice routing at the moment isn't perfect but it's getting there but there is a definite noticable difference in my attitude towards music and my goals have become more clear to me. Most importantly, picking up my instrument is no longer hard work. My advice to anyone is to find enjoyment in what you do, even if its just strumming some chords on an old acoustic. If it helps you to re-discover where you want to go then it can't be bad.
    Having a forum where people can discuss ideas and get help from like minded people is the best idea though. Reading what other people had to say on this certainly gave me the kick I needed to get going.