Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: how do you motivate yourself to play guitar?

mdecks. LMCYM

Practice routine...

Hi guys,

I've just published a workbook which I've called:
    "52 weeks of Practice". (an entire year of practice)

I have been using it with my students for more than 3 years and I find it very usefull for keeping a consistent and productive practice routine. Organizing and reviewing your practice routine makes all the difference in the world when it comes to learning/performing music.

here's a link to the workbook:

mDecks

I just play guitar because I love music in general, I don't really need any motivation. Sorry that this doesn't really help you.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chim_Chim
    Be different.

Do it for the OATMEAL.

for me?just be your self...do things that you know can really help you motive you self..or simply just think of the thoughts why you love to play a guitar..who are your inspirations in doing that thing...somehow it would help...

how do you motivate yourself to play guitar?

you have to just want to be good...

music videos! haha

how do you motivate yourself to play guitar?

my goal in life is to be a rockstar!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motown01
    you have to just want to be good...
    Quote Originally Posted by motown01
    my goal in life is to be a rockstar!!!!
    I think those two ideas are almost totally incompatible with one-another.

If you're looking for fame and fortune, then you certainly won't be intending to put in the work that's required to be a good musician. You'll be looking for a huge short-cut.

Of course there are exceptions. But that's hardly worth mentioning.

But I think your first answer is the right one - if people ask what the motivation is, then in the end it all boils down to quote "just want to be good" ... there may be various reasons why different people want to be that good ... but I think that probably is the bottom line.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by All_¥our_Bass
    I just play guitar because I love music in general, I don't really need any motivation. Sorry that this doesn't really help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossroads

I think those two ideas are almost totally incompatible with one-another.

If you're looking for fame and fortune, then you certainly won't be intending to put in the work that's required to be a good musician. You'll be looking for a huge short-cut.

Of course there are exceptions. But that's hardly worth mentioning.

But I think your first answer is the right one - if people ask what the motivation is, then in the end it all boils down to quote "just want to be good" ... there may be various reasons why different people want to be that good ... but I think that probably is the bottom line.

Ian.

I think those are the right answers.

/
    Some days I seem to do OK. Other days I feel like just shoving an M-80 right up my guitar's butt.

I feel the most important thing you need to assess is that whether you really want to play Guitar or you just do it for the sake of doing it... I motivate myself by looking at the great legends and i do it for myself, my happiness. So one should understand whats driving him to do a particular thing. thanks

Inhumanly Fast Shred God
    Good music is the best inspiration to me. And the idea that I want to be a professional level musician. Especially here in Finland, musicians are a small community and you really have to be one tough cat if you want to get yourself in the business. Lately I've been inspired by metal bands such as Fear Factory, Atheist, Gnostic and such. I actually saw the latter live two weeks ago and they just blew my mind. Unfortunately, I got my hand smashed in a mosh pit and haven't been able to play... Also I've started to gravitate towards listening to other musicians than guitarists. To me, most guitarists are really boring with their playing. Some people who have lit me up lately are Thomas Lang, Derek Roddy, Tim Yeung (all drummers), Jens Johansson and Jordan Rudess (keyboardists), Diamanda Galas, Jon Oliva, Kate Bush (ah, what a woman!) and such. I don't really think that great music is limited by instruments or genres. I just have chosen guitar as a channel to perform music through.

i know exactly how it feels to lose motivation to play, as Ive had it for the past two years but its getting better by simply realising why I aint the guitar player I want to be. Sometimes by realising the problem and finding a solution will bring out the motivation you've been after, as opposed to not knowing and feeling helpless and unmotivated. For some time until recently i felt unmotivated to play because I was blind to realise that I dont actually have specific goals that im working towards and thats why I aint got any better....sounds obvious right? but when its not infront of you it aint and its very fustrating.

Know your goals and abide by them! Nothing is impossible.

best quote ever: 'Failure isnt not being able to achieve what you wanted, Failure is not trying to achieve what you wanted at all'