Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Zappa

Mod

Frank Zappa

Just got one of his cds "Strictly Commercial" best of Frank Zappa any recommedations or comments on the man seems pretty cool so far

Oooooh Zappa!

Albums - ALL OF THEM!!!

Apostrophy/Overnite Sensation
    Joes Garage
    Shiek Yerbouti
    Them or Us
    You are What You Is
    Man From Utopia
    Zoot Allures
    Shut Up and Play Your Guitar
    Lumpy Gravy

The list goes on and on.

Check out all of the top notch musicians that played with Frank. That list is virtually endless as well.

Go to Zappa.com and you can listen to Zappa Radio 24/7.

Tabs

Yo, just trying to learn the powertab software. Here's a small excerpt from 'Peachen En Regalia' from the Hot Rats album, release 1970. Fun to play, and a good intermediate level(?) alternate picking excercise. Comment on the .ptb!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I love Zappa! Anybody seen his "Yellow Shark" opera? Weird stuff!
    BTW Dwezzil is an amazing guitar player. He should be definitly on that "not so well known but great" guitar players list.(As well as his dad)
    I once saw him live with his brother Amet and the band"Z". He ruled! Great playing and funny as hell!!!
    Not so long ago Eric and me checked out his Peavey signature "Wiggy" amp at some music store. Sounded great! The equalizer just read "less" and "more".

TK
    Last edited by Thorsten; 08-29-2003 at 09:09 PM.

Yo, Thorsten!

I didn't see the Yellow Shark opera, have the record though.I saw something on tv from the Frankfurt concerts, i have it on vhs somewhere. He was in sweden in '88, i was thinking of going to the show, but figured that since he was around so often, i might as well wait until the next time he was around, by then i'd probably have more money to spend in tickets...utterly stupid of me. That band was not only the last, but also one of the best bands he had ever toured with...as heard on (among others) 'The Best Band You Have Never Heard In Your Life'. Great record.

I was thinking of going to Frankfurt (that's where it was, right?) to see the yellow shark, but again - no money. My total lack of fincancial sense has made severe damage to my cultural life

Yeah, i agree - Dweezil is one heck of a guitar player!

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    When I was a lad and listened to the Zapster I just couldn't believe how the guitar seemed to go where I wanted to go. Not sure who was even playing it at the time.

But the lyrics were what made it wonderful. Who can forget such classics as:

1. "Who don't know **** about cooking and is arrogant looking"
    2. "A grinder, a bumper...with a pre-moistened dumper".

Or, such lyrical masterpieces as:

3. "Let's get is greazy, so it goes in easy..."

I don't care what anyone says, jerks like Andy Warhol should rot in agony while an artist such as Frank should be elevated to our society's highest status. I believe he truly said it all.
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 08-30-2003 at 05:09 PM.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

Originally posted by B A Stone
    Go to Zappa.com and you can listen to Zappa Radio 24/7.
    When you wrote 24/7 I thought you were talking about a time signature of one of his songs :P Freaky stuff he did there.

-Dan

Originally posted by Bongo Boy
    I don't care what anyone says, jerks like Andy Warhol should rot in agony while an artist such as Frank should be elevated to our society's highest status. I believe he truly said it all.
    You said it best, Bongo!

Ya know, the swedish television have several concerts recorded, among others the '74 tour (Roxy/Elsewhere, YCDTOSA vol 2). Never seen them! Will not broadcast. When Zappa died, he really died.

Yeah, Zappa was amazing, and itīs kinda sad that a lot of people forgot about him, and thatmany people wonīt hear any Zappa tunes other than "Donīt Eat The Yellow Snow" or "Bobby Brown"...

BTW; I think I mentioned it at the forums too, but I recommend the "Real Frank Zappa Book", itīs some autobiography... a ghostwriter talked to Zappa for many hours and then turned that into a book. Itīs like Frank wrote it himself.
    Itīs extremely funny, lotsa interesting stuff in there ( not TOO much talk about the technical side of music ), and itīs a good way to get an idea of what kind of person he was... a unique, very intelligent guy IMO.

There also used to be a website called the "Iron Sausage", which had BUNCHES of Zappa interviews from the 60s to the early 90s... the site seems to disappear and reappear a lot, changing providers etc.
    I used to spend hours there, reading those interviews... if you ever find the site, check out the "Mother Of All Interviews, Pt.I and II"... a really long, really deep interview, great stuff...

Eric

Afro-Cuban Grunge-Pop Bongo Boy's Avatar
    Do a web search on 'mother of all interviews' and LOTS of those nifty things come back atcha.
    Pulsing the System with Confirmed Nonsense.

I haven't heard alot of Zappa, but I've heard that some of his stuff his really complex. I'd like to hear these "complex" songs, so if you guys could suggest some for me, that'd be great. Thanks.

I've got one DVD with a concert from 1984. It's called "Does humor belong in music?". Concert was played at The Pier, NYC USA, 26th August 1984. I've watched it once, and I don't remember much about each song, but I do remember that most songs were good. Some had interesting guitar work.

The song list is as follows:

Zoot Allures
    Tinsel Town Rebellion
    Trouble Every Day
    Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel
    The Dangerous Kitchen
    He's So Gay
    Bobby Brown
    Keep It Greasy
    Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
    Dinah-Moe Humm
    Cosmik Debris
    Be In My Video
    Dancin' Fool
    Whippin' Post

That's it. Some nice song titles in there too.

Striking chords all over! Strukkanurv's Avatar
    Zappa!
    Ahead of his time is an understatement.
    Anybody seen the video to 'City Of Tiny Lights'?
    Only Zappa could come up with that idea.

'The Imaginary Guitar Solo' kicks butt, too.

In fact, besides Camel & Zeppelin, Zappa is the only other artist of whom I have most of his catalogue.

Worth a listen to anyone not already familiar with his work. Joe's Garage is an ideal starting place.

Currently Dweezel has put to together a new tour called "Zappa Plays Zappa" in which he plays his father's music. Steve Vai also partakes as a show member for the last half hour.

Zappa rocks.

Steve Vai used to do transcriptions for FZ and there's a section on his site with some examples. it's absolutely un-f*cking-believable, by far the most bizarre and complex notation I've ever seen. the man was a freak (in a very very good way).