Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I know this is stupid, BUT PLEASE! age over bpms

Punk Rocker
    lookmy fellow amateur guitaristwould you rather play fast and sound like one of those wanna be solo guitarists only capable of playing guitar solos or do you want to actually play guitar both at high speeds and with mad skill.... well if you want too play guitar like kirk hammet off of metallica or daron off of S.O.A.D go ahead but if you want to be able to play like guitar gods like clapton paige billie joe or like some of these older experienced musicians we have on this board i suggest you practice at a slower pace like between 80 95 and perfect your skill best you can then speed up a bit repeat until you can rock hard at 150 bpms as easily as you could at 95 or whatever.....

you dont seem to know what you're talking about. ciao

directed at "TonyG"

Punk Rocker
    i know i just felt like saying something can you sue a guy for wanting to say something

Calm down guys. Anyways, I'm what we call "bpm retarded," so here it goes. When measuring bpms, do you measure one beat for three notes? (three notes inbetween each beat)

Pecker, it depends on what youīre playing. For example, saying "I can play at 150 bpm" is an incomplete information.
    Some licks, runs, melodies, exercises require you to play, say, eigth notes ( 2 notes per beat ), 8th note triplets ( 3 per beat ), Sixteenth notes ( 4 per beat ), Sixtuplets ( 6 per beat ) etc.
    Eric

Thanks for the reply Eric. That really helps me out alot.

Glad I was able to help.
    Check out some articles here at ibreathe... and check out the notes as well, not only the TAB, as from the notes, you can see what kind of note velocity is asked for, like 16ths, 8ths, triplets etc.
    For example, check out this: http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/86/2

The first few exercises have 8th note triplets ( 3 notes per beat ). Then, there are two with sixtuplets ( 6 notes per beat, so itīs rather fast in comparison, maybe a good idea to slow down the metronome ), then itīs exercises with all 16th notes till the bottom of the page
    Eric

Thanks for the wonderful advice Eric. Anyways, Im sorry because I know I've asked this before, and I searched for it but there was a ton of stuff to look through. I was wondering how to copy and paste a part of a Powertab onto one of my posts. Thanks.

I think people who are naturally talented are lazy, they realise they have somthing and just stick to it, like eddie van halen. Although many people copied him, they were younger usually teenagers, they practiced and learnt way more then eddie knew in a couple of years and became more accomplished players in a short space of time, guys like paul gilbert and jason becker. Eddies technique has barley evolved from Van halen 1. Thats what natural talent does to most people. I guess it has a better effect on untalented people, who see the natural talent in others and aspire to it, and after alot of time in the end they surpass it.

Amateur gynecologist smallbusrider's Avatar
    I actually think Eddie has lost his hunger and desire of those early days and his playing,though still great, shows it. It's missing fire. I remember hearing a bootleg of a backyard party when he was with Mammoth and not only did he smoke, but his tone was unbelievable!!!! As I side note: I've seen tapes of when I was 18-20 and there were just some things I did I cannot do now. I was such a gut feeling player and just went for it without a care of who was listening and what they thought of it. Nowadays im a much better player overall, but there was just some spark that I had in those days that I feel im missing....SIGH....
    Last edited by smallbusrider; 04-01-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    "Life's too short to dance with Psycho Chicks."

Speed, Speed,Speed ?............ Yawn! Yawn ! Yawn !

Quote Originally Posted by smallbusrider
    1)She's very ,very, drunk and thinks we are either the singer or the drummer.
    2)She's very, very, drunk, realizes that the singer and drummer are taken for the night and confuses us with the bass player.
    3)The girl also plays guitar (though this usually ends up in a discussion about guitar playing, then she looks for the singer,drummer or bass player.)
    4) Hit her over the head with your guitar and drag her by her hair "caveman style" into the dressing room.
    5) She thinks we're a roadie.
    6) If you happen to look like any of the male "American Idols"
    7) If you look like good competition for beating up their boyfriend..
    LMAO!
    "He's got all it takes to become a musician - the abscence of money and sence of responsibility..."