Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I know this is stupid, BUT PLEASE! age over bpms

I just remembered I forgot to post my age. I'm 21 years old and I'm an Eletrical/Computer/Audio Engineering Major at a local University where I also work and help do research with things like VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration), VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Descriptor Language and VHSIC means Very High Speed Integrated Circuit). So if I have enough time to practice my chops most people my age should as well. People with a wife, kids, and a regular job though are in a totally different game than I am in *points at UKRuss* .

I agree with EricV. There's more to playing fast than speed and timing. There's control and tone. I've been working more on tone these days. Mainly with picking. For example how much of the pick to use to get a nice fluid clear sound and how much of the pick to use to get a nice bright punchy sound from my strings (it helps to have a coil-splitting humbucker for this).

Also, I figure I'll bring attention to this because one of my students has this misconception in mind. In order to sweep pick and play fast you DON'T need lots of gain. In fact it actually clears up your playing if you use less gain and distorsion. I myself cut back on the gain alot and just use compression and EQ to help bring out those certain areas of the guitar that I want to hear.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Quote Originally Posted by Rizla
    Well, he is only little, so he is either a midget, or a young kid, about 13 at the most imo, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, it shows that you don't need to be playing 20 years to attain the speed and dexterity of paul gilbert
    Are you sure he was playing "Frenzy" ? And was he playing it really accurately and in control, or just able to hit the notes somehow ?
    And thats the danger of "Internet myths" like that ( I have seen vids where people go "OMG, a 10 year old playing like Vai", while in reality, the guy was really 17 )
    It makes people think you can play amazingly within a year if you just force yourself to work hard, and focus on only that, and they usually miss out on other, even more integral things. Gilbert was amazing at 17 already, but I highly doubt he picked up his guitar at 11, put on the metronome and played 3NPS picking sequences 17 hours a day and nothing else.
    You donīt need 20 years, but you need more than a year or two, and just hitting the notes somehow isnīt mastering that piece.
    Just my opinion though
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    Are you sure he was playing "Frenzy" ? And was he playing it really accurately and in control, or just able to hit the notes somehow ?
    And thats the danger of "Internet myths" like that ( I have seen vids where people go "OMG, a 10 year old playing like Vai", while in reality, the guy was really 17 )
    It makes people think you can play amazingly within a year if you just force yourself to work hard, and focus on only that, and they usually miss out on other, even more integral things. Gilbert was amazing at 17 already, but I highly doubt he picked up his guitar at 11, put on the metronome and played 3NPS picking sequences 17 hours a day and nothing else.
    You donīt need 20 years, but you need more than a year or two, and just hitting the notes somehow isnīt mastering that piece.
    Just my opinion though
    Eric
    Sure man, but after seeing it, it was indeed some really good playing, and guys like you can anylise it and say well, he was going a bit out of time in this part, and his bend was out of tune on that part, and his playing was sloppy in this part, because you can tell alot better than guys like me, but for me, I wouldn't look at a young kid like that, and expect any kind of perfection, so to be at that level of ability at that age(which many guitarists would give their left testicle for) is quite something, and I'm sure the track was frenzy, with the crazy string skipping, deffinetely, and the guy was tiny, really a little kid, it must have been.

Oh I definitely get your point, and itīs impressive if someone can play it no matter at what age. I just think that the message sent out by that video to a lot of people is misleading, as explained above.
    But again, I said Iīll cut back on any sermons, I have stated my opinion, I definitely understand yours, so allīs well =)
    Eric

It's a funny topic.

I think it's just my age really, well that and Orgs totally correct point that I simply don't have the time to invest properly, that I don't improve greatly with speed in isolation.

It's also totally correct I think about the certain licks thing. there are certain things I can play fast enough and plenty that I can't.

It's funny but back in the day i was never obsessed with it either, I would listent o Vai Gilbert et al. and simply assume that I wouldnt be able to do that so I never had any expectations of acheiving that.

therefore, I spoent a lot of time playing things that I liked to play and things that I could play to practice.

It's only now when I look back I see that I've improved and perhaps as a natural progression become a little faster along the way.

I'm afraid to say any fast stuff that I do tends to revolve around scales without much ingenuity in the sequences, but hey, plenmty have made a living out of that and I enjoy it.

But, I would have to say other than the one time when i got tempted in the strictly AP thread ( which was fun as we kind of turned it into a mini competition even though it wasn't sposed top be but it felt good to be a little naughty for once LOL) I have never, and I mean never, tried to find out in strict BPM how fast i can play anything.

This is also bourne from the fact that I only bought a metronome in the last 18months, but even then I use it now (when i do get 5 minutes to play) at a slow speed to practice new things and work on timing and synchronisation which IMO, are way more important than speed in isolation.

Being a well rounded player is about so much more than BPM, but understodd that for certain genres it is a necessary feature of the player and how he is then judged against his peers.

I suppose that is a goal in itself, but for me you can be the fastest player on the planet and still suck big time if the timing, synch and creativity are missing.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    Are you sure he was playing "Frenzy" ?
    I'm sure he was, it was posted up on the boards a while ago. It's the kid who wipes his nose on his sleeve after he finishes playing!!!!
    Pure Class!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    but for me you can be the fastest player on the planet and still suck big time if the timing, synch and creativity are missing.
    Amen to that buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizla
    Well, he is only little, so he is either a midget, or a young kid, about 13 at the most imo, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, it shows that you don't need to be playing 20 years to attain the speed and dexterity of paul gilbert
    Of course you don't; you just need to devote your life to practice.

However, it DOES take many years to attain a hgh level of musicianship and that is by far the more important thing. IMO, it's impossible to make a million notes sound good if you can't make one note sound good (ie. vibrato, control, articulation, dynamics, touch, good souind generation, etc.).

NM

Amateur gynecologist smallbusrider's Avatar
    here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3Ej...enzy%20gilbert

No matter what anyone says, look at the size of the guitar compared to his body!!!!
    "Life's too short to dance with Psycho Chicks."

Thats why I think its a good idea to sit back and take sometime and play some blues and jazz. Some slow stuff wil definitely help your tone and control. I love improving over jazz chord progressions and blues progressions. A bandmate of mine is a HUGE fan of progressive music like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, etc etc. He comes up with WAY better chord progressions than I do and I can just sit and improvise to them all day long. And believe it or not most if not all the improv is slow and melodic and the first thing I listen for is tone, timing, and flow.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Speed is cool and everything, it might impress lot of other guitarists, but does it impress the girls (not that the kid should care at this age)???

I don't think so, they go more for some slower, sexier bluesy stuff.

No, they go for who's got the best hair...

NM

It was proven on a website somewhere that he is infact a 35 year old hobbitt......like those 2 of Lord of the Rings.....

Now stop worrying everyone !

Daz

Also, the kid is an exception, and I do think that even though he might have the speed down, something must have been left out in his development.
    You see, I am not trying to belittle ( no pun intended ) him, itīs cool that heīs that fast already, but I think youīll agree that you donīt see this kind of technique on such a young kid very often.
    And I think that some people might become demotivated or frustrated by seeing this video, thinking "Heck, I will never be that good" or "Heīs that good at such a young age, and Iīm 15 and my playing sucks in comparison". Itīs the comeptition and comparison way of thinking that really turns into a dead end street.
    And once again, I do think that the players we admire have gone through a quite natural progression, starting with songs, slow playing, tone, and speed came a bit later, and most likely not because of pure competition, but because it was fun to see the chops develop
    Just my opinion though, and I donīt wanna sound as if I am not respecting what the kid has regarding speed
    Eric

Nice one Eric....agree 100%

Remember this also....its always worth videoing yourself playing once in a while.....you will be suprised how fast you play. It always looks more impressive watching someone else play.

I posted a few weeks ago about how the internet will be saturated with guitar players with frightening techniques......to me the 'contest' was over years ago. Just get yourself to a speed level where your happy.......not because it makes you faster than 'player x'

It means nothing to a 'non-guitar hero' audience either.....think of the 'ooos' and 'ahhhhhs' some players get with a boss digital delay pedal and some feedback !

This 80's shredder return thing is starting to annoy me now ! But its alot less credible than what it was 20 years ago......I could never remember asking what Steve Vai has for dinner or what BPM I should be able to play at the age of 17 or what conditioner Malmsteen uses to keep his Arpeggios soft and bouncy !!!!! I know I'm teasing now.....but some of you guys must know what I mean

Grumpy Ol' Man....Daz (38 on the 8/4/68)
    Last edited by eastwood; 03-29-2006 at 02:17 PM.

I get what you are saying Eric, and I feel the same way. No doubt the kid put in a lot of time to learn that, but it is a mechanical thing. Some people might see it and think that his level of overall musicianship is on par with his ability to pick those patterns at that speed.

I have met many young players that have tremendous technique and don't know how to build a chord. This means that they worked on just one aspect of their playing and that is all they can do.