Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: 24 Bar Blues

24 Bar Blues

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dick and my friends all call me Tes. That is short for my last name of Tesnow. I have been playing guitar for about 12 years, but this is the first time I have ever been interested in playing live. I have played and recorded some tunes at my house with some guys that are all into the blues and blues/rock. What I do not know how to do is solo over a 24 bar blues. I know that may seem stupid with me knowing how to solo over a 12 bar blues, but I want to make a great first impression on this new band and our first practice is next Thursday. I have a particular song that is bothering me as to how to solo over. It is "Shame, Shame, Shame" by Indigenous. It is a 24 bar blues in A with a SRV feel to it. The other guitar player in the band plays a Strat and uses a Wah Wah pedal on this song. I have a Strat, Les Paul, and an ES335 to play. I am looking for help and ideas for this song mainly.

I play through a Marshall TSL 601 and have an Ibanez Tube Screamer and just about an hour ago bought a Line 6 Roto Machine to simulate a Leslie Speaker.

For those of you in the know, would you solo over this song using the Min. Pent., Blues Scale, Major Pent. or what? This song just has me befuddled. Nothing I played last night sounded good at all. The licks that the band Indigenous does sounds a great deal like SRV, but even though I can play stuff like Pride and Joy, I sucked at this song. Please offer any suggestions. Any and all ideas are more than appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you and I hope I can be of help here someday as well.

Tes

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Hi Tes, welcome to iBreathe!!

Personally I don't see any difference between a 12 bar or a 24 bar Blues, I just take it that the 24 is twice the bar lengths of a 12, but usually at a slightly higher tempo. The bars still follow the same kind of progression.

Listening to 'Shame Shame Shame' I noticed the following things which may well be why nothing you played sounded right:-

First..it's in Eb not A as you suggest!! (Detune a half-step and play in your normal E position.)

Second.. It's a straight 12 bar, so nothing to worry about on that score!!

So, basically you can use any of your normal scale choices that you mentioned!!
    If you want to stick to the same key as the band then detune by a half step, having listened to a couple of their other tracks they definately are!!
    Hope this helps shed some light on it!!

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if the song was in a different key than A. Maybe the band just decided to use the Key of A for some reason. That makes sense. I am no expert, but after listening quite a few times, are you positive that it is a straight 12 bar blues? It does not add up that way to me. Maybe, I am in left field on this one. Who knows?

I truly appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Tes

Is there anyone else in the band that can pull off a solo? Reason I ask that question ---- no reason for you to be the lead solo all the time. Listen to some B. B. King -- he does not sing and play at the same time....... his voice takes the lead for a verse, perhaps only 1/2 a verse, then he passes the lead to his guitar and his guitar then has the lead. The lead moves back and forth between his voice and his guitar.

You do 12 bars then pass it to the bass, who gives it back to you......... the more you get involved the more fun everyone has.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 03-23-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Yep, it definately scans as a straight 12 bar, just each bar is like this:-

Code:
    Db-2---2-----4---4-----5---5-----4-5-4-2-- |
    Ab-2---2-----2---2-----2---2-----2---2---- |  X4
    Eb-0---0-----0---0-----0---0-----0---0---- |
    Then up to the Ab X2, back to the Eb X2, Bb X1, Ab X1, Eb X1, Turnaround and then repeat, that's it!!

Also, the intro may be putting your timing out a bit, it's a half bar + a turnaround, so it's basically a run down in chords Bb, Ab, Gb, F#/Gb, Eb, then a full bar turnaround!
    Last edited by mattblack850; 03-23-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Yes, there are others in the band that could solo. Keep in mind that I am the new guy here. They already have one guitar player as well as a harmonica player that can solo. The harmonica player also doubles as the keyboard player too. I have been asked to come over as another guitar slinger. The song is done is Eb by the band Indigenous, but this band does it in the Key of A. I think the reason is the singer is a female. She is very bluesy in her voice. She sounds like Janis Joplin or Susan Tedeschi. Having said that, I think that is the reason they don't do the tune in Eb. The CD they gave me to practice with however, was the original from Indigenous. That is what kept throwing me off. I played it this afternoon using your different ideas and it sounded pretty cool. I can't wait to join them next Thursday night for my first time.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. You all don't know how much it means to me.

Tes

No worries Tes, good luck!!!
    Let us know how it all goes!!!

This is especially to Mattblack850. I am embarrassed after I listened to the tune again in my car. It is so obvious that it is a straight 12 bar blues. I have no idea why I thought it was a 24. I have played enough guitar to know the difference and I was so frustrated by not playing anything that sounded good that somehow I convinced myself that it was a 24 bar blues. I was definitely in left field on that one. I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks for straightening me out. Now I can get down to business of just playing good blues and not worrying about trying to impress the band members with something flashy. I plan on just doing something tasteful and have at it.

Tes

Although you seem to have sorted this issue out. Last week i was given a chart and told, its just 12bar blues in G, so i didnt even bother to glance at it. But it was actually, well technically, the 24 bar blues... Simply it was a 12bar with each chord doubled in duration i think, lasting 24bars before repeating. ' St Louis Blues ' So anyway, I didnt accompany during the head and then took a solo to be bedazzled at the time it took to change chords.... what a mess!
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Tes21
    I was wondering if the song was in a different key than A. Maybe the band just decided to use the Key of A for some reason.
    The singer often gets the final vote on the key of a song. Like If it fits hers/his vocal range better to sing the song in A rather than Eb.

So learn all your songs in all possible keys.... however I would never play anything in any key except G.
    G

There are a lot of people that jam acoustic around the town square in Mountain View, Ark. that never play anything but G. Song called out to be in A they capo and stay in G. It is amazing the number that do this.

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    however I would never play anything in any key except G.
    G
    There was an 'IN' joke in one band I used to be in because every song was in D.
    Not technically true as a couple of them were in F, but started on a Dm chord!!!
    I wrote one in C and really confused everyone