Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Strictly ii V I

Great job Kjellen! Only the second person to have a go at that after Pierre (shredmaniac). The overall sounds quite authentic - nice comping for you

I'm far too limited "following the changes" on guitar to do any credit to this myself at this point (or maybe ever), but I might break out a "vibes" patch on the synth at the weekend and have a go.

Here it is. A ptb of the original 251-strictly i did. The extended bossa-thingy was done with some of these ideas here and there. If anything is unclear, or if more explaining surrounding the ideas are wanted, by all means - ask!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks ashc! Was fun, want to do some more. Maybe we should add more "extended changes-strictlies" as well.

And Russ, I'll do some checking on the Dorian one as well, and maybe tab out some of the good licks, there shouldn't be too many...

And Shredmaniac's take was wonderful, really nice phrasing and tone. Makes me suspect I'm too hung up on going "outside", since with a progression with so many key changes makes it melodically interesting even without going outside it.
    Last edited by kjellen; 01-09-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Wow kjellen... This is the kind of take that makes me want to practice a LOT more and improve ! Great phrases ! Your take revealed a lot of my weaknesses : I have a lot of trouble playing outside with taste, I don't have a lot of lines I can call during a solo (and we all know how useful patterns or lines are useful in jazz improvisation). I actually tried to convince myself it was all for the better, but in reality I was just being lazy, or practicing other stuff while complaining about my jazz skills

I was actually working on outlining altered tones on the V chord more when you put your take up. Needless to say it was inspiring. Maybe I'll try it again during the week !

Pierre

P.S. To all iBreathers who participated in this thread : come have a go at the Strickly Chord Melody Joe Pass Jr. put up a few months ago ! There have been really few replies, and it would be great to exchange thoughts on this difficult topic.

Thanks, mate! And I'll do a try at the Chord Melody one soon, I like that stuff. Maybe even put up some standard-strictlies with common progressions. This site and these striclies are really a great way to hone jazz-skills.

Here's the concepts in pdf-format. Hope you're happy now, Russ... :P

LOL! Yes perfect! I shall add that to the long list of be-bop style licks that i can't play and don't understand

Seriously, thanks. I'll get working on those.

@Shredmaniac: Unfortunately I think it was as simple as you say. For most of us the strictly chord melody was simply too hard!

I may try and have a go one day...

Hi guys,

Eventually have got round to contributuing to this thread, thought as i should as im doing jazz for my degree!

Anyhows, theory-wise my track is largely diatonic, with emphasis on resolving a lines chord tones. I do use B half-whole scale over the B7 chord, yielding some chromatics and altered extensions that rub a little. I also use some subsitiute arppegios briefly over the ii and the I. Also you will hear me play an arpeggio and then move it down a half-step, a common idea in jazz, which doesnt rub too much as we are used to the rythm/phrasing in motif before. And there is a sneaky bend in there, which isnt common, but just came out!

I apologise for the roughness, this was a 3rd take, and entirely improvised.

Anyhows thanks,

Ben
    Last edited by Kinoble; 01-30-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Very nice, Ben. A lot of tasty lines there. I (surprisingly enough :P) liked the "outside" lines the best - really well delivered.

Hey kjellen,

Thanks for the feedback. Gald you liked the 'outside' lines, even though i didnt include very many. Your take was great btw, some real control weaving the outside lines in and out of the chords, nice one!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoble
    Hey kjellen,

Thanks for the feedback. Gald you liked the 'outside' lines, even though i didnt include very many. Your take was great btw, some real control weaving the outside lines in and out of the chords, nice one!

Ben

Well, I stopped the playback between each 4-bar-period to plan what I'd do. :P I thought I'd just do a "theory lesson" rather than an improvisation, so you should know I'm not THAT good at doing the same thing live.

EDIT: That is if you meant the original 251. The Bossa-thingy was improvised (although I played around with the progression before I threw myself at it, of course)
    Last edited by kjellen; 01-30-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Strictly improv

I had some time this week to finally record a little. Played around with the strictly II V I thing. I posted it here. There are a few glitches but I just left them in..

Cycle of falling fifths

Quote Originally Posted by ashc

Notice how doing it just the once catapults you all that way forward though the original.

Am7 - D7 -> Gm7 - C7 -> Fm7 - Bb7 -> Ebm7 -Ab7 -> Dbm7 - Gb7 -> Bm7 - E7 -> Am7 - D7 - Gmaj7

Can you do that again to make an even shorter loop (the octave divides into two tritones)? I need to figure if I made mistakes so far or not....

EDIT (not the first!): Well anyway it's already less intimidating, isnt it?

Am7 - Ab7 -> Dbm7 - Gb7 -> Bm7 - E7 -> (the start) Am7 - D7 - Gmaj7 (the I)
    I just noticed that this progression moves forward in falling fifths, (fourths)
    Cool.

@Joey :

I think your take was over Joe Pass Jr.'s backing track for his "strickly chord melody", not UkRuss' or Ashc's

Right

Yeah, I didn't realize that until after I recorded it. Have a bunch of jam files here, lost track of which was which. Anyway, it is what it is...So, I will call it solo over strictly chord melody joe pass jr. thing. Sorry..