Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strictly ii V I

Licensed Moose
    I'll give it a listen when I get home. Any pinches in there were not intentional. I must be sloppier than I thought..

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

sounds like you are correct, they might just be bends that squeeze out a little at the end making them sound a little like a pinch. 0.40,41ish theres a couple.

Apols.

Something simple yet more interesting

Dont forget that by harmonisisng the major scale of E you will have other basic shapes to work of which contain all the extensions of the E major scale. For example the 3rd which is G# minor can be played aswell as the Eb major pentatonic. Or the 6th which is the relative minor, it contains the same notes so it will work but they are in a different order so sound different. Try just playing the arrpeggio of G# and then add in other modes of the harmonised scale to see what fits and works for you. The extensions are what cause slight or massive tension and this in jazz is the art of good guitar soloing. Pulling the ear away and bringing it back. Write out the Emajor scale and see for yourself how these modes add the 9th 11th 13th as they go up its quite inteseting.

P.s sorry if this is not part of whats trying to be discussed must go to theory class bye.

Cool, not at all, thats exactly what I'm after cheers!

Will take me a while to assimilate the information

Going Back to the earlier ramble on the ii-V cycles, where the V, instead of leading to the I, becomes a secondary dominat to a new ii. And we get that stepwise movement and we can all the way round the clock back to the start.

I was wondering, without reading the article I posted properly, what happens if you tritone sub the V. Are you supposed to pretend that the original V acts as the dominant to the ii or the subbed one?

So, we had: Am7 - D7 -> Gm7 - C7

Sub the D7 and treat that as the new V;

Am7 - Ab7 -> Dbm7

From Dbm7 you can go to Gb7 or you can do the sub again in which case C7 and you back on the track you started on or you skipped ahead.

Do it again. Back to where you would be:

Am7 - Ab7 -> Dbm7 - C7

OR, more interesting.

Am7 - Ab7 -> Dbm7 - Gb7

Notice how doing it just the once catapults you all that way forward though the original.

Am7 - D7 -> Gm7 - C7 -> Fm7 - Bb7 -> Ebm7 -Ab7 -> Dbm7 - Gb7 -> Bm7 - E7 -> Am7 - D7 - Gmaj7

Can you do that again to make an even shorter loop (the octave divides into two tritones)? I need to figure if I made mistakes so far or not....

EDIT (not the first!): Well anyway it's already less intimidating, isnt it?

Am7 - Ab7 -> Dbm7 - Gb7 -> Bm7 - E7 -> (the start) Am7 - D7 - Gmaj7 (the I)
    Last edited by ashc; 03-23-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Cool thinking!

Insane probably Anyway, where are all the jazz cats when the squares start making fools of themselves? Are we not worthy?

I think they are simply smirking at our inability and beginner level understanding of the whole thing...

Ah yes, I guess thats it . I've been travelling the last few days so I havent heard my "level 2" progression yet - but if, when I try it, it sounds OK I might knock up a backing track and see if anyone can handle that (I doubt very much that I can).

Good idea. Go for it!

Here's my take, and first participation to a "Strictly" thread (yay !). I just recorded a rythm guitar as a backing track over Russ' chord progression, I hope that's ok and "by the rules" ^^.

Since I'm not a good jazz player at all you can hear me searching for the next note, so my timing is way off at some points in the take. I tried to use arpeggios as well as scales.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Good idea. Go for it!

Here it is then a "level 2" backing in a bossa style (as close as I can get anyway) with some slightly nervous comping!

|: Am7 Ab7 Dbm7 Gb7 Bm7 E7 :| Am7 D7 Gmaj7

Oh yes, 2 bars (measures if you prefer) a chord !!
    Last edited by ashc; 03-25-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Ashc ! I'll give it a try this week !! =)

I liked improvising over the progression so I thought I'd record something. My theory knowledge hardly goes beyond "E maj eh? I know that pattern!", so.. don't expect anything fancy. (And oh, my sorry about the extreamly bad quality, bad recordning equipment :/)

@Shredmaniac: your take on the original progression sounded pretty good and authentic to me! Looking forward to yours, and any others who'll dare, having a go with this slightly harder prog.

@Russ : What do you reckon, am I taking this in the direction you intended at the start?