Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Guitar Grimoire and other questions: Chords, music theory etc

Guitar Grimoire and other questions: Chords, music theory etc

I recently purchased the Guitar Grimoire Volume 1, Scales and Modes. I am new to music theory and this book really helped me understand the intervals so far. I am getting very frustrated figuring out how chords are formed. I would appreciate if someone could go over some examples from the book as to how they are formed. The book does show one example, but I'm still not 100% clear on this.

Is the guitar grimoire a good starting point for learning music theory?

My problem is that I know a few scales but I just can't quite connect everything. I don't know what chords are in a key and I don't know which scales go to which chords. I am desperately trying to learn.

I had previously purchased a guitar book by bruce arnold for theory but I found his explanations of the intervals hard to understand. It seems to be a lot more clear in the guitar grimoire.

Thanks in advance for any help!

as far as I'm concerned, the grimoire isn't all its cracked up to be. its best use is as a reference book, if there is a certain scale you need to get under your fingers.

however, i would learn the theory and how to use and apply those scales, chords, etc elsewhere.
    - Dave

quote by cardello
    as far as I'm concerned, the grimoire isn't all its cracked up to be. its best use is as a reference book, if there is a certain scale you need to get under your fingers.
    I agree with cardello about the grimoire series, the whole series is designed to be a reference series.

quote by james82
    I am desperately trying to learn
    for whatever reason i have had to say this quite a bit lately

you may not realize what you have discovered but if you want to learn, IBreatheMusic.com is the most thorough informational site available, and its free.

you have discovered the "pot at the end of the rainbow"

welcome, and enjoy the lifetime journey!
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cardello

however, i would learn the theory and how to use and apply those scales, chords, etc elsewhere.
    I disagree. The Grimoire is a great scale and modes book. It lays out all the information and it is up to the idividual to use and understand it.

I taught myself almost exclusively from that book. I went to G.I.T. at the Musician's Institute and was ahead of my whole class and found myself bored in the 2nd level theory class. (2nd level is the highest placement for new students.)

Teach yourself the Scales in every key. If you stick with it you'll put the pieces together, and most likely laugh about how complex you thought scales and modes and all that "complicated" music theory was.

However, as far as your problem with the chords, I believe there is another Grimoire based on Chords. You might want to check it out.

Don't get frustrated. The way Modern Music Theory is taught is based off of one idea. It's ok to understand it a different way than everyone else. Use your ears and don't become dependant on scale shapes and patterns.

It's not really all the complicated, after all there are only 12 notes in western music.
    ________
    iolite vaporizer review
    Last edited by 7h3 J35u5; 01-20-2011 at 03:37 AM.