Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Modal interchange!

Modal interchange!

i was studing my theory book,and this chapter to me was very interesting.
    many people dont know about this modal interchange,neither i do, and i have seen those kinds f progressions and my way to learn is ;to apply and some new piece of music written based in what i learn from the book.
    So with the progression Cmaj,Bb maj,Eb maj,which is gotten from a common progression user modal interchange as techinique to write,what scale can i use to solo over,?i just want to know about pentatonics available to use,and if Cmin scale works better than the Cmaj.
    thanks

Since the chords are borrowed from two different keys (C major and C minor), then you will need those two scales to fit the chord progression.

The first chord, C major, is taken from the key of C major, so the C major scale is what will go with that.

The second two chords, Bb major and Eb major, are borrowed from the C natural minor scale (they're the bVII and bIII chords, respectively). When the progression reaches those two chords, you'll want to swtich to the C minor scale during them.

For pentatonics, you can simply scale down the C major and C natural minor scales into C major pentatonic and C minor pentatonic. There are other pentatonics found within the C major and C natural minor scales, but I would highly recommend getting comfortable with these two first and the idea of changing scales to match the chords before venturing into more complicated scale changing.