Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Chord Melody

Thanks Joe,that intro melody as shredmaniac reminded me was 'Bluesette',and about the swing,man i was struggling to just get the chordal thing down for me to find the swing.These strictly threads are kicking my butt,making me pay attention to areas ignored in the past,like the other day i took a shot at ukruss's strictly pentatonic and found out its tough when you just have 5 notes to deal with on the other hand gersdal's strictly outside probably gives you 5 options per chord.Price you pay for wanting to be versatile....
    Regards--hermit

Nice thread. I did a quick "what-I'd-do-if-someone-asked-me-to-do-a-16-bar-intro" over this progression. Need to do some serious thinking to make an interesting chord-melody thingy anyway, but I'll do that as well at a later time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's great ! I'll definitely try to pick up one voicing or two soon =)

Wordgirl: Jaded Musician jade_bodhi's Avatar

lovely interpretations

Wonderful playing guys. I love the style. Interesting how the chord structure and tempo dictate similar styles in the melodies you come up with. I wish I could add something here because this is a style I'm interested in learning how to play. Not sure how to work the technology.

I do have a question, though. What is this chord? | A+7 |. I should know but sometimes people, and even published music books, use the + to mean different things. Thank you.

Jade
    Nobody ever shared
    what we have known...

I would write it as A7#5, I'm not a huge fan of + and - anyway.

Yeah, maybe it is something about the chord structure and tempo? Or maybe it has something to do with us using the most familiar chord shapes? Or maybe it is because we don't go "outside the box" in any degree...

realizing dreams
    Sounds great!
    Can someone recommend me an album in this style? I recently listened to joe pass and I love it!
    Currently I'm starting by learning all my drop 2 voicings again until my ordered jazz books arrive.
    Last edited by Padawan; 01-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Hasn't Martin Taylor done some solo guitar albums? Not sure, though.

Did I say that out loud ? joeyd929's Avatar

Is that a secondary dominant?

Could you consider the A+7 in this progression a secondary dominant? I ask because in the key of F Major the A would normally be minor but in this case it is implied as dominant 7.

Well, no, it's just a regular dominant. The dominant chord is altered from the harmonic minor to have a dominant function. This is of course in D-minor, as you can say this progression is a D-minor progression more than an F-major.

Registered Crutmauler
    Quote Originally Posted by kjellen
    Nice thread. I did a quick "what-I'd-do-if-someone-asked-me-to-do-a-16-bar-intro" over this progression. Need to do some serious thinking to make an interesting chord-melody thingy anyway, but I'll do that as well at a later time.
    I like that one. It gives a feeling of dreamily floating around in the afternoon.

refresher needed

I wanted to post a short instrumental jam for people to expirement soloing over.. It's been a while, can we still post files here for members to try soloing over? I recorded a short instrumental jam, only about 700 kilobytes. Would like to post it... can I post here? or as a new thread in the "strictly" category.

Thanx in advance.

Joe

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Probably better to post it here Joey rather than trying to get a new Thread started at the moment!!!
    I think the Site File Limit was 1.4Mb so at .700 you should be fine with that!!!!
    I look forward to hearing it!!!

Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    Probably better to post it here Joey rather than trying to get a new Thread started at the moment!!!
    I think the Site File Limit was 1.4Mb so at .700 you should be fine with that!!!!
    I look forward to hearing it!!!
    Cool man, I will post it here. I did the instrumental for others to improv over and also posted my little solo contribution. Actually, my "solo" so to speak, is more of an arranged horn part I did with my keyboard.

I will be putting a guitar solo arrangement over it as soon as I figure out how to get a wav file on to my multitrack.

What you hear is excellent for playing a bluesy/jazzy/maybe even latin guitar solo over in it's instrumental format but for now I just did mine as a horn part..

I look forward to hearing other members approach to soloing over this piecee. Here is the instrumental. The first one is the instrumental, the second one is with horn part played on a keyboard.

It starts rather abruptly, sorry about that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

chord melody

Yes, I believe one could even do a little short chord melody thing over this.

chord melody

i have heard a lot about this game and even i played this very ingteresting this is playing with the chords it gave me passion
    ==========================
    harison
    http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com