Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Chord Melody

Strictly Chord Melody

Yay! My own strictly thread !!

The aim of the game here is to write a head/chorus/what ever for the given backing, using chord melodys.What are these?

Chord melody is when you incorporate chords into the melody

See Peter Simms articles on Chord Melody Construction for more info
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/179

There are many ways of going about playing a chord melody. One can strike a chord and tap out the lead with their picking hand. Maybe play the whole phrase in chord form, using your leading notes to spell out the melody. Or just play the chord then a few notes then a chord and a few more.

Knowing the chord's in several positions and their substitutes will be handy. Knowing arpeggios up and down the fretboard is helpfull aswell.

Have a listen to my example and you will see what its all about.
    We are playing in 3/4. and the progression goes.

FM7 | Dm7 | Gm7 | A+7 |
    Dm7 | BbM7 | EbM7 | A+7 |

i will attach a tab of my chord melodized section aswell.

Ps, Something that helped me whilst writing this little tune was to just play a simple one line melody over the backing. Then try find appropriate voicings of each chord so i could play them together.

Have Fun
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe Pass Jr; 03-26-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Exclamation

Tabs done ect.. no Powertab sorry, i suck at it.
    Last edited by Joe Pass Jr; 03-26-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Nice one Joe! Good examples too, nice playin'.

Here's my take ! Thank you Joe, it was really fun to give it a shot !! =)

Played like a pro!!! Great Work Shredmaniac, those harmonies added a nice flavour. It sounded very modal to me too. Im still not that theoretically minded but it sounded asif you took advantage of the b7ths abit. Myxolydian?!?

I just used the Dm blues scale at one point to spice things up a bit, but I mainly considered your chord progression to be (roughly) in F Major / D harmonic minor on the A7+5 and used that chord's 3rd extensively when it came along. .That's the only thing rock / metal guys like me can do convincingly, comes from all those Neo-classical chord progressions (Am/E7) ^^

"Yay an E7 chord !!"

/bends the G to G#

"Wow I really nailed this tricky chord progression. Too bad I had to stop that bitchin' harmonic minor run at the 17th fret to do it."
    Last edited by Shredmaniac; 03-27-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredmaniac
    Here's my take ! Thank you Joe, it was really fun to give it a shot !! =)
    Great playing - and what is your setup? Really nice tone.

EDIT: JoePassJr, another great interpretation. The sound itself was maybe a little aggressive, maybe it's just me. Anyway, the playing was absolutely up there with Shredmaniac. Inspiring listening, as it's a little different than the regular rock that I have listened to the most. The sequence with a playing-break towards the end worked very well.
    Last edited by Apple-Joe; 03-31-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Much appreciated. And yes, my solo part was a bit full on for the feel i started off with. Thats just my lack of compositional skill, same goes with the 6 bar structure. Thinking about having a stab at it yourself?!?! Surely there are a billion other ways to approach this idea.

@Apple-Joe : thank you =). My setup was quite simple actually : since my amp is broken right now (it needs new tubes :/), I simply plugged my schecter strat into my soundcard (a Tascam US-428), and recorded it with Logic 6. I used the Amplitube plugin. There is a Tuck Andress patch in there that I tweaked a little bit. I do not like direct recording guitar plugins, but it's better than nothing, especially on clean sounds.

Looking forward to listening to your take !

Well, it depends on whether I dare post a recording. We'll see. Maybe I'll use another Strictly as warm-up, I don't know. The two recordings of this Strictly = quality, so I've got to push myself.

Licensed Moose
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredmaniac
    I just used the Dm blues scale at one point to spice things up a bit, but I mainly considered your chord progression to be (roughly) in F Major / D harmonic minor on the A7+5 and used that chord's 3rd extensively when it came along. .That's the only thing rock / metal guys like me can do convincingly, comes from all those Neo-classical chord progressions (Am/E7) ^^

"Yay an E7 chord !!"

/bends the G to G#

"Wow I really nailed this tricky chord progression. Too bad I had to stop that bitchin' harmonic minor run at the 17th fret to do it."
    A real pleasure to listen to, that was. Gonna play it again.

I might have a shot at this, but it's going to be taxing because my jazz-theory knowledge is rather poor. However, practical experiments always taught me more in school then theoretical, and I'm sure that's still true.

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

Hey joe,I finally got down to it,got to admit it was a tough one.The melody i play starting on 9th bar is what i heard very strongly and i know its a standard dont know which one though. i need to work on being able to play chord melodies on the fly,i suck at it .Thanks for the reminder
    Regards - hermit

The melody you start playing I think is from "Bluesette" by harp player Toots Thielemans.

Awesome take hermit ! Beautiful tone, I love it =) And your phrases near the ending are great, I am definitely going to shamelessly steal them, one of them almost has an "holdsworth" vibe, complete with subtle finger vibrato...

Congratulations !! If I sucked at playing chord melodies on the fly like you do I would be quite happy... I just love the sounds one can get out of the guitar when playing that way...

Pierre

Bluesette,thats what it was.Wow!glad you like it ,thanks bro!I heard your take too,loved the melody you played in the beginning and the end and those bluesy double stops in the middle. i wish my take was on the fly,had to play through it a few times and plan some kinda form in my head before going for a take.The lines in the end is me running out of chordal information and resorting to the linear. Feel free to to take it its a Bb melodic minor shape between the 6th and 10th frets very symetrical. thanks again for the feedback ,that was very encouraging.
    Regards--hermit
    P.s:I said this before on an earlier post,hanging out with all you guys at Ibm has given my playing a much needed boost.Thanks guys

Top stuff hermit, glad to see you took an interest. I liked your choice of melody in the begining. And the improv was nice an smooth sounding aswell. Great tone btw

Constructively, maybey you could have put a bit more swing into it. I know im not the best at finding that swing. But everyone else should be =