Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Mystery of the Dorian mode

Mystery of the Dorian mode

After exploring the Dorian mode quite thoroughly (for several years actually), I still have a feeling that there are certain things I am not aware of. I am afraid I tend to repeat myself when using it.

I know quite a bit about creating the underlying harmony. The i - V (ie. Dm - G) works very well. It's the phrasing which makes me repeat myself! I can play several licks which sound nothing else but Dorian, but it doesn't neccessarily sound very melodic.

I watched an improvisation video of a player named Theodore Ziras, and he played a few licks I have never played and never thought of. It was very Dorian and VERY melodic. Is there anyone who's got recordings of them selves playing the Dorian mode, or knows particular artist to check out in order to learn even more? I know about Santana. I've got a DVD which I haven't watched yet. I've seen clips on the television, but I am going to dive into the DVD concert soon.

Any recommandations in addition to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Apple-Joe
    After exploring the Dorian mode quite thoroughly (for several years actually), I still have a feeling that there are certain things I am not aware of. I am afraid I tend to repeat myself when using it.

I know quite a bit about creating the underlying harmony. The i - V (ie. Dm - G) works very well. It's the phrasing which makes me repeat myself! I can play several licks which sound nothing else but Dorian, but it doesn't neccessarily sound very melodic.

I watched an improvisation video of a player named Theodore Ziras, and he played a few licks I have never played and never thought of. It was very Dorian and VERY melodic. Is there anyone who's got recordings of them selves playing the Dorian mode, or knows particular artist to check out in order to learn even more? I know about Santana. I've got a DVD which I haven't watched yet. I've seen clips on the television, but I am going to dive into the DVD concert soon.

Any recommandations in addition to this?
    Ziras is one SICK alternate picker. What video were you checking out?

Dorian Improvisation
    Fusion Improvisation
    Lick of the monrth; January

The Dorian mode should also be felt in harmony, not only in melody. I kind of advise against using only the Harmonic Minor's V - i progression if you want diversity, because it doesn't contain the major sixth while having a major seventh. Try something like V9 - i7 (chromatic progression) or v9 - i7 to change things just a bit.

OK - thank you.