Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Metronome Help

Metronome Help

I have a pretty basic question. I have no idea how to accurately use a metronome. (Yes I know thats sad). Say you set your metronome to 80 bpm. If I am playing chromatically 4 notes starting on the 5th freth, 6th string and working from low E to high E how would I play those notes? I am guessing 4 notes per beat. 1 note per beat would be way too slow. Can anyone explain how to accurately use a metronome when practicing? Thanks.

Licensed Moose
    There are many ways, but to get started, set your metronome at a nice slow speed, say 40-60bpm. Like you say, aim to play four notes per beat. If you play chromatics and you're playing four notes per string, you could start with playing the first note on the string on the beat, then move up and down the strings. You could play so that the second note on the four-note-per-string sequence falls on the beat. You could play triplets too, or other odd groupins of notes for a tough rhythmic work-out. Keep at it until you feel comfortable, and gradually up the speed.

This will work on your timing and sense of rhythm, as well as your technique (speed and accuracy). It may take a while, but keep at it.
    Hope I've helped some,

Nick
    I'll disagree with you for the sake of being contraversial.

Thanks for the response. It's wierd because I have been playing the guitar for 12 years but never too theory or articulation this seriously. Since I never did I basically had to learn how to pick all over again and I improving but it takes awhile and a lot of patience.

Licensed Moose
    It does take a lot of patience and effort but the rewards are fantastic.

Just thought I'd add as well - try playing some three-notes-per-string scales at quarter notes in 4/4 timing. The reasoning behind this, is that when quite a few people learn a three-note-per-string scale, their natural instinct when playing it ascending/descending is to play it in triplets. By playing quarter notes (four notes per click) but three notes per string, it helps you broaden your 'rhythmic vocabulary' if you will, when playing scales. It might be a little weird at first, and take a few times going up sections of the scale to work out where notes land on the beat, but it's a good excercise once you get used to it.

Nick

Yes you should practice 3 notes per string scales or something doing 4 notes per beat. THat was pretty difficult for me at first but what i did was just start the metronome, play chromatics first, get a feel of the legnth of each note then switch to the 3NPS run with the same rhythm. Once you get used to that you wont need to do the chromatic thing. Its also good to emphasize every 4th note so as you play faster you can use it as a way of keeping track where you are.
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/

Licensed Moose
    Good tips, Delicious.

The way I learnt how to play 3nps scales at four notes per click was to play the first five notes of the scale at a slow tempo. Why the first five, you ask? Well, your first note starts on the beat, you have three more in between, and then your fifth note will land on the beat. Then you move up towards the next five notes, starting from the note that is on the beat each time. Though there are perhaps easier ways of learning to play 3nps in quarter notes, 4/4, this way really helped me get used to it. It seems like you only have to do it once, because once you get used to it, other timings come a lot easier and of course, your newly learnt rhythm skills can be transferred to scales, arpeggios, chords, etc. etc.

Nick

I hear where you guys are coming from but that is one very small part of what you can get from your gnome.

Regardless of what pattern your playing 2,3,or 4 nps, all one string, two strings, scales, arpeggio, chromatic warm up patterns you should use the gnome to practice playing crotchets, quavers, semi quavers, minims, triplets.

For me you seem to be focusing on how the gnome can assist you in perfecting one pattern out of almost infinite combinations rather than, for me, where the real benefit lies:

Timing regardless of what you are playing

I can take a pattern of say: minor pentatonic scale go 123452345634567etc. if I like and play that in 1/4 notes, 1/8th notes, triplets and so on.

Similar with your 3nps patterns you are discussing how may different ways can you play them?

The fact that there happen to be 3 notes on each string is irrelevant because I can play them 122334455667 etc. or 123456etc or 14253647 or any variation thereof.

The obsession with triplets and 3nps reinforces a connection that must be broken in the players mind between the 3 notes on each string and the triplet rhythm. Exactly as you point out Lowthorpe, try it with quarter notes, or 8th notes or 16th notes if the bpm will allow.

But what remains constant and where the gnome actually assists in this process is playing the pattern, whatever pattern you choose to practice and you should find many many different ones, as timed triplets or quarters or 8ths or 16th notes.