Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sweeping licks,modes,scales,arpeggios

Brent. Questions like "How can I learn to play guitar and learn all music theory... in 2 seconds?" are impossible. Most guitarists have used years and years to digest all this stuff, or just played their guitar without bothering about it. I guess these are your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by ashc
    I really am beginning to believe this a Turing test...
    Ash... What is a Turing test I think I remember something about a fellow called Turing from the Computer Science class from many years ago, and comming from you I guess he may have something to do with this . But what is the test, and how does it apply in this situation?

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Ash... What is a Turing test I think I remember something about a fellow called Turing from the Computer Science class from many years ago, and comming from you I guess he may have something to do with this . But what is the test, and how does it apply in this situation?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

...the shroud of turing...

Like a cloak of misunderstanding over the musical theory of life.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    ...the shroud of turing...

Like a cloak of misunderstanding over the musical theory of life.

hahahahaha!! With the image of a guitar, stained in the sweat of a multitude of players!!!

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    *Sighs*

Actually, he's expecting us to teach him each and every arpeggio shape there is to know...i mean, every fingering, every playing technique, every EVERYTHING!!! :S

Sorry, Mr. Brent...but we really can't play the guitar for yourself...or learn for yourself...or practice for yoursrelf...guitar playing is about hard work and discipline...stop complaining/asking nonsense and start playing more...

Sorry.

David

Hey what if he IS a bot... written by some frustrated guitarist... He must be deactivated! If he is a person though, he just needs to stop being on the computer so much and practice a bit. I would but there's a little anoying thing called work keeping me here...
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Brent,

Arpeggios are just chords but each note is played one at a time and are not supposed to ring over each other. i.e.
    e|--12--||------------12------------|
    B|--12--||----------12--12----------|
    G|--12--||--------12------12--------|
    D|--14--||------14----------14------|
    A|--14--||----14--------------14----|
    E|--12--||--12------------------12--|
    _|--Em--||--Em arpeggio-------------|

As you can see they are the same shape but are played differently. Yngwie sweeps ALOT of chord shapes. Check out the beginning to Blitzkrieg. He sweeps a chord shape in that as well. Jeff Loomis from Nevermore sweeps alot of chord shapes. Hell you can even sweep triad shapes. There's alot more you can do with sweeping where you sweep really odd chord and do string skipping, tapping, legato. Begin by sweeping your major and minor chord shapes. Just keep practicing them until you can sweep at 16th notes at 240 bpm or something. Then move on to a different shape and get that up to speed. Then mve to a different shape, or add a small tapping sequence at the peak of the arpeggio. This right here you should practice for a VERY VERY long time. Each sweep has ot be perfectly clean. So start so and work your way up from there. To help us better assess where your at in terms of technique and clarity it would be a good idea to post some clips up and let everyone critique them. It's a great way to get a different perspective and get hints and tips from people on how to better your technique.

Arpeggio sequencing is something you should definitely tackle after you worked through a decent amount of arpeggios.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    Thanks, mate. I think the test failed... I always end out by asking what "something" means ... like a pre-programmed machine .. but then, I'm the human

The idea is to make statements like "necessity is the mother of invention". If the answer is like "do you have any brothers and sisters?" you've caught the machine

Sorry, Brent I'm only pulling your leg. . . Start with E A and D based shapes and work your way up from there, this is years of work to know this stuff inside out.

No Arpeggios are not just chords because when u do "Block arpeggios" from just chord shapes it sounds very water down because arpeggios spreads the notes out not just blocked note after note next to each other that sounds very boring and its not much different then strumming a chord.

I need alot of TABS on arpeggios major,minor,modes that show u licks and phrases using major,minor,modes of arpeggios

I need the 2 octave arpeggios of major,minor,modes where can i find them please?

Or i need alot of Articles more and more because i need more examples the
    Articles just have a couple of examples i need way more to get around my
    guitar neck.

What is Arpeggio sequencing? modulating the chord shape sweep?

Arpeggios are just notes of a chord played individually. Learn the formulas for your major minor chords, find those notes on the fretboard on adjacent strings, then you have the pattern for your sweeping arpeggios, you can do that all over the fretboard, across 2 octaves whatever you want. Better than looking for 50 billion tabs.
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/

Yea but when i do the Block chord arpeggios it doesn't sounds like
    what Yngwie sweeps its not just Block chords it would just sound like im strumming a chords it i just did the same pattern or shape i need to
    make them different u know how Yngwie and others do it , i don't think
    because when i see the DVD video of Yngwie playing live its doesn't look like he is sweeping block chords at all its more spread out the notes and the voicings are different sweep just a block chords u have to add more notes with the block chords or something

Brent, let me tell you something man. Yngwie learned to do amazing sweeping arpeggios by PRACTICING for YEARS! I still do not see how you can expect to absorb all the information you've asked. You are literally asking to have the last 600 years summerized into a neat answer that will "make" you a great player. Even if you actually understand all this information, if you never try to apply it to an instrument...than it is useless in the practical sense.
    And please...please quit demanding answers. "I need" this and "I want" that from everyone here is becoming tiring to read, and it is rude. Try reponding to someone who has taken time to write a response, rather than demand further clarification...or simply jump to another complex area of theory. I think we would all appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by brent
    No Arpeggios are not just chords because when u do "Block arpeggios" from just chord shapes it sounds very water down because arpeggios spreads the notes out not just blocked note after note next to each other that sounds very boring and its not much different then strumming a chord.
    Actually, if you wanna be technically, strumming is actually an arpeggio, because even though the notes follow each other really quickly, youīre still not playing them at the exact same time. But I guess thatīs nit-picking.
    Youīre asking for a lot of info, and itīs nice to see you being motivated. I will not get into anything like a warning about collecting way too much material, ending up at a point where you donīt even start to really focus on anything because you have piles of paper in front of you.
    However, a word of advice ( and I completely agree to the other replies here regarding a certain politeness, and about actually working on one thing at a time ):
    Learning the guitar most of the time means learning and working on several different things at a time. When you learn scale patterns, you improve your fretboard knowledge, and by practicing them, you usually improve your technique. Also, seeing the patterns and the reoccuring blocks in there often helps to understand scales.
    Even if you donīt wanna learn all the fancy scale-names etc., you might be able to see and recognize arp shapes and patterns at some point.
    However, just asking for loads and loads of diagrams is usually a dead-end street. Cuz youīre missing out on understanding stuff.
    How do you think the guys mentioned regarding arps, like Malmsteen or Becker or whomever, did develop their skills and their knowledge of the fretboard ?
    There was no internet back then, and I donīt think Yngwie was able to buy a load of instructional books about "Awesome solo licks for the progressive speed-player" or something.
    The goal is to take a concept, like i.e. arps. Understand it ( Iīd even start earlier on, with basic chords ). Then donīt only MEMORIZE stuff... apply it. Try to figure out your own arp shapes.
    Instead of even more links, try this:
    - Take a simple triad, say, A Major
    - Now play the notes of that triad all over the neck, on each string combination, along one string, on 2, 3, 4 etc. Play them one note per string ( like with sweeping ), but invert them. throw in an extra note on each string. Change that around.
    Not only will this help you to memorize the stuff a bit more easily ( cuz YOU are figuring it out ) but also, you will understand how those players "find" them and apply them. And I am pretty sure they did the same thing.
    Just memorizing a gazillion shapes will not help you much. If you i.e. memorize all shapes of a maj7-shape, and then someone sends you a 25 page pdf with all shapes of the dom7-shape, you might find yourself memorizing them all over, while actually, if you had used your mind and your ears, you might have figured that the only change necessary is to move that 7 down a halfstep.
    Believe me, I have seen BUNCHES of players spending days on the web, printing gazillions of pages, making folders, collecting articles, diagrams and TABs.
    After that, they a) didnīt know where to even start or b) spent about 1 minute on each sheet of paper, and later declared they had it down cold. Which wasnīt true, as you can spend hours, days, weeks, on only one type of chord, learning to apply it in all possible variations.
    Based on your reactions in this and other threads, I am not even sure youīre gonna take the time to read all this... nothing I can do about that, I guess. But believe me, the more you ask for a load of diagrams, the more people will give you advice like that, and they might just have a point
    Hope this helps
    Eric