Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Easiest way to learn

Easiest way to learn

ok i understand everything that i know which is an infintesimal spec of the whole kit-n-kabootle

but what would be my best approach to learning/understanding all my scales/chords/music theory and how the scales/chords are constructed so i can create them on my own without memorizing them

as well as understanding how and why these scales/chords are constructed

i'd like to hear any dos and don'ts that you guys may have to say

(a quick what i do know) ....A,B,C,D,E,F,G = natural tones lol i know more but you know

thanks to any who post
    Last edited by JoliKoV; 01-22-2006 at 06:31 AM.

DO:

Search through all our articles, you'll find everything you need to know about all those topics.

Post question you hav relating to those articles.

Search the forums for realted topics that may have been discussed before.

DONT:

Do anything until you have dont the DO's above

That should give you plenty to go on!

Exactly what he said. Mostly everything is covered in one way or another here.

One thing i might add, Since you allready seem to know the workings of CMaj/A relative minor scale. Make sure you pretty well know the positions of each note in the key of C. Then try playing the scale in 3rds, C E G B up and down the fret board then D F A C and so on with every note in the scale. This will quicky familiarise you with 1; The Cmajor scale (the basis of all scales). 2; All the Arpeggios of that scale and 3; when you start reading music notation everything will come to you faster.

Some might disagree, but in my opinion, learning to read music notation rather than just tab's( although both are just as good as one another ) will make everything alot easier to understand. I say this because,if and when you get onto building complex chords or trying to understand the way certain harmonies work ect... you will have the fundamentals allready engraved into your musical retina.

Have fun.
    Its not the techniques you use, but the music you make.

Yes the articles on this site and the search button plus Google will give you all you need. I'm going to give you one site that has 50 lessons. Each lesson just scratches the surface, but sometime we need the first two to three inches to make since of the articles. And there is an order to the way they are listed, i.e. start with # 1, if you already know this skip it and go to # 2, etc.

Click here

The articles on this site are great, however, are not numbered in any certain order that I've found. Some of the other guys/gals that use this site can give you a listing of the articles and the order they recommend you follow.
    Last edited by Malcolm; 01-22-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pass Jr
    learning to read music notation rather than just tab's( although both are just as good as one another ) will make everything alot easier to understand.
    There are a myriad of differences between tab and standard musical notation. One of the most important thing it is missing is note duration. Tabs are great for hobbyists and people who just want to start playing stuff now, but being able to read/sightread standard notation is a skill that requires lots of practice hours to do well. The ability to read/sightread well will carry you MUCH farther than tab ever will. Here is a great article that makes a lot of sense.

Tablature vs. Standard Notation

and why bother reading (or learning notes and rhythms) anyway?

Many excellent musicians don't read a note of music. Why should you bother?

In my view, those excellent musicians succeed regardless of reading skills: they hear the important relationships between notes. They also have the talent and intuition to deal with thier chosen musical situations. Great players such as Eddie Van Halen, Bill Monroe, Steve Howe, Wes Montgomery are just a few non-reading greats.

I am not one of those musicians! Although I feel blessed with a certain amount of talent and aptitude, I must admit that my knowledge of music and ability to play are greatly enhanced by being able to read music.I figure I should take advantage of every avenue available to me to broaden whatever natural abilities I have. We all have to learn to hear the relationships, just as they above mentioned players did–I found it very helpful to augment the ear training with theory and note reading skills.

Tablature is a wonderfully easy to read style of notation. It shows exactly where to put your finger, and upon which string.It saves the player the trouble of recognizing a pitch, or rhythm, and gets them directly onto the fingerboard. It takes 5 minutes to learn how tab works, and it takes hours and hours to understand how traditional notation works.

So, why bother learning standard notation, if all you want to do is play the piece?

BECAUSE IT IS JUST A ROAD MAP OF ONE POSSIBLE ROUTE.

If all you really want to do is play the piece, and aren't concerned with a deeper understanding of the music, sure, tab reading will get you where you want to go. Standard notation may be unnecessary if you are content to rely upon the recordings to decipher rhythms, and feel your understanding of musical materials to be adequate for what you want to play.

However, I have found that many tab-only players are disillusioned with their abilities. They faithfully acquire tab and commit it to memory, often playing along with recorded versions of the tunes, yet feel they are not growing as players and feel at a loss to understand how to improvise or expand their own musical personalities.

Music theory can be a very intimidating and confusing pursuit, although it contains the many keys to unlocking many mysterious musical padlocks. The language of music theory is standard notation, so without the skills of note reading, players are left to their own devices.

The benefits of learning to read standard notation are:

1.A deeper understanding of chord/melody relationships. In a nutshell, understanding how notes relate to chords is a major route to understanding jazz improvisation, composition, and general msuical structure. Tablature does not give you notes as such, only a fret/string position. If you don't know what notes you are playing, and how they relate to the chord of the moment, you'll have difficulty improvising with consistency.

2. A deeper understanding of rhythm. Rhythmic notation reading skill is almost always absent in tab-only readers. The ability to understand and play with the right feel depends on how good your sense of time is, and understanding the notation of rhythm can help your playing. (A metronome or drum machine can be a player's best friend!)

3. The ability to learn your instrument in-depth: you can make your own choices where the play the notes, rather than having to stick with the tab positions. By understanding the fingerboard, you gain the kind of freedom of expression great instrumentalists need. You don't need to know the note names to understand the fingerboard, if you can do it intuitively and hear all the relationships. I find it much easier to "think music" on different instruments (as I play guitar, mandolin, octave mandolin, dobro and pedal and non-pedal steel guitar) by knowing what the chords are and what melody notes "work" (all 12 of them do, but how they relate to the chord is what makes them sound like they do).

There actually IS AN ORDER TO THE MUSICAL UNIVERSE, and things can actually make great sense once you understand the relationships. You don't have to be come a scientist to learn this craft, and it won't destroy your soul. I promise.

4. The language of music theory is standard notation. To understand how the basics of music work (harmony, melody, keys, etc.) is to become conversant with the universal language of music, regardless of style. This gives you a big head start in learning- when you hear a passage and can identify the notes and chords before playing, it saves you a lot of hunt-and-peck time. Hunting and pecking helps you, too, of course!

5. You don't have to be a fast sight reader to gain from knowing the notes used in building chords and melodies. It won't make you a musician, but it can make you a better musician.

6. All of this means nothing if you can't hear the relationships. Reading actually helps you develop your ear as you begin to recognize the sound of various intervals. The practice of sight singing, away from an instrument, is invaluable in helping develop your inner ear. It doesn't work with tab!

From the pen of mighty bassist Jeff Berlin, interview with Dan Glenn (used with Jeff's permission):

DG: ...It amazes me that almost everywhere I read posts that Tab is worthless, and players should just learn to read music, yet virtually every bass website still has a Tablature forum. Can you imagine showing up at a film date and finding five music stands full of Tab, set up for each player? (Laughter) Man, Points…Tab spelled backwards is “Bat,” and that’s just what I’d like to take to it. Do you ever think it’ll burn itself out and younger players will come to their senses… or are they doomed?

JB: They are doomed if they keep using tab because tab doesn’t exist outside of being used by some music magazines and websites. A hundred thousand kids are doing nothing for their playing by reading tab and they don’t even know it. How about that? Besides! There’s no reason for tab because the music that it represents doesn’t need written representation. Tablature practically always represents rock guitarists and bass players lines and solos. You don’t learn those lines by reading tablabture. You learn them through listening to the players then imitating what you heard. Without exception, this is the way that every single player in every style of music learned how to play. Imitating is not only the sincerest form of flattery, but outside the classroom, it is the sincerest form of musical growth. Tab doesn’t exist anywhere in music except in rock education (which is an oxymoron since rock education is useless to everyone, and I can prove it). Readers, you are being conned with tab and you don’t even know it.

being able to read notation is a necessity. if you are in any professional position and you dont know how to read notation you are in trouble. plus it helps you understand what is actually going on. there have been people who dont read notation, but they are geniuses. plus if you want to write something and have other people read it you have to use notation. so dont get safe with tabs, they are great but in the long run it will hurt ya. notation reading is hard work but it pays off. think of it as an investment .