Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
  • 11 Mistakes Guitar Players Make and How To Avoid Them

Do you know how some guitar players practice most days of the week, work hard, and are passionate about their playing, but they always struggle to be able to play the way they want? They are frustrated because they don’t improve fast enough, begin doubting their potential, or even feel discouraged or angry with themselves when thinking about how long it is taking them to become a better guitar player.

Can you relate to that? I sure can, I just described myself 15 years ago.

There are specific reasons why guitar players go through such frustration and disappointment. Here are 11 key mistakes players make and repeat over and over again that you should definitely avoid.

1. Teaching Yourself. Many people attempt to teach themselves. Yes, it’s true that some well known players were ‘somewhat’ self taught, but I do not suggest following that strategy even if your favorite player was self taught. If you are 100% sure that you can build powerfully effective learning and training systems on your own, that's great. However, if you are like most of us, doing it alone is the hardest, most time-consuming, stressful, and frustrating way to learn anything. This is a mistake that you should avoid. Some guitar players think it will impress others if they say, "I am a self taught player". That statement might impress a few inexperienced people, but being self taught is not a 'badge of honor'. Would you rather impress others with your playing or with an unimportant statement about your playing? I'm not criticizing self taught guitar players, I'm only saying that there is no advantage to being self taught… and no, it is not true that being 'self taught' makes us more 'original'. In fact, the opposite is usually true.

2. Taking Lessons From Ineffective Guitar Teachers. Unfortunately, most electric guitar teachers receive ZERO training on how to teach guitar. What is worse is that the vast majority of teachers do little or nothing to improve their guitar teaching skills. Want some proof? Use Google’s keyword tool. Type in this keyword phrase: ‘improve guitar teaching skills’, ‘guitar teaching skills’, or ‘guitar teaching training’ and you will find that less than 10 searches per month are done for these topics at google! Of course there are some highly effective teachers around, but there are a whole lot more ineffective teachers. Here is a free resource on how to tell the difference between the good teachers and the mediocre ones, sweep picking video guitar lesson.

6. Too Much Focus On Things That Are Not Core To Your Goals. In addition to not focusing on specific things, many guitar players focus on the ‘wrong things’. Some enthusiastic guitar players become temporarily obsessed with things which are distractions from other things that could be helping their playing much more. Here is an example: I used to get so frustrated and angry when I could not play something perfectly, I’d lock myself in my practice room and say, “I’m not coming out of this room until I master this damn lick if it takes me the next 19 hours! No breaks! No food! No human contact! I’m gonna nail this!” And I did master it. On the surface, it might seem like I was on the right track and practicing in a good way…. But in reality, I was spending my time only to stop being angry and frustrated. I was not investing my practice time wisely by focusing on the things that mattered most to making a better guitar player. In other words, my perseverance was commendable, but my strategy to master important long-term goals was weak. I allowed myself to be distracted. I don’t make this same mistake anymore, and I urge you to also avoid it! Focus on the things that really matter for your guitar playing right now. If you are not sure how to do this, seek out a proven guitar teacher today.

Comments 1 Comment
      Hema947 -
      Great Post.
      Thank you for sharing.
  • Recent Articles

• Recent Posts

motherlode

'Fresh Air' -Lightsey

http://freejazzinstitute.com/showpos...404_motherlode

motherlode Today, 04:09 PM Go to last post
    meritonemusic

Using the NOKIA RINGTONE as a warm-up exercise...

great! Have fun

meritonemusic 09-14-2019, 06:06 PM Go to last post
    shonaasingh

Using the NOKIA RINGTONE as a warm-up exercise...

actually i am recently practicing guitar and its helpful thanks for sharing

shonaasingh 09-14-2019, 03:46 PM Go to last post
    motherlode

'Falling Grace' -Steve Swallow

Original View: Ed Byrne
    http://freejazzinstitute.com/showpos...080245_EdByrne

Alternative view:

motherlode 09-14-2019, 12:20 PM Go to last post
    meritonemusic

Killer jazz piano licks on GUITAR (exercise + tab)

Oscar Peterson's jazz piano licks made into a guitar warm-up exercise

Free tab → http://bit.ly/2m84FEM

HAPPY

meritonemusic 09-11-2019, 08:57 PM Go to last post