Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
  • A conversation with the King Of Heart

Ok, here is my second interview in a series of conversations with guitar-players from Germany ( if you do not count in "Shred Talk!", which is a bit older by now... stay tuned, surprise coming up soon ! ). I hope you did enjoy the conversation with Thomas Blug.
    This time, I have the honor to present you an interview with Abi von Reininghaus.

Attention!!
    This interview was done in early 2006. Unfortunately, due to changes at ibreathe, a lot of time passed before it was eventually published. I thought it would still be a very interesting read, hence I published it, and for current information on Abi, you can visit his website, his blog or his portal (leading to his websites)
    I hope you'll enjoy this interview...

All throughout the 90s, while I was growing up and developing my playing, I read his "In Vivo Guitar" columns in a german guitar mag, every single month. Those columns were not only extremely entertaining, but also extremely educational. At first, there was a focus on technical stuff, but later on, it moved to other topics interesting to every musician...philosophy, gear and the vintage-market, and, "TONE"

When I heard his "King Of Heart" album in 1997, I was very much impressed by it. Not only did it have some very well-written songs ( and no "showcases for the sake of showing off" ), it did have a chock full of great guitar-sounds and tone ( if you´re unsure about why I am separating those two terms, check my "The Quest For Tone" article ).

I eventually started writing to him, and we soon developed a friendship. Nowadays, we are good friends, and I do consider him a mentor and an influence. A lot of the things I teach ( and employ in my own music ) I did learn from him. So it was an extra pleasure to do this interview with him.

I hope you will enjoy it...

Biography:

Abi was born in 1959. After playing the acoustic guitar for a few years, he picked up the electric guitar at age 18. In his early 20s ( around 1982 or 1983 ) he attended the Guitar Institute Of Technology in North Hollywood / USA.

After his return to Germany, he started working as an instructor, and also was conducting workshops, presenting gear for several different companies. On top of that, he was working as a session-musician.

In 1991, he started to write a monthly column ( "In Vivo Guitar" ) for a german guitar magazine. He continued to do so until 2001. In the mid-90s, a book with the same title was released, and continues to sell quite well.

In 1997, he released his first solo-album, an all-instrumental release called "King Of Heart".

Nowadays, Abi is playing live as a solo-artist, is a member of the german formation "Jazzmachine" (they released their most recent album, "Moongroove" , in 2007) and has his own music school, the A Team Music Academy, in Munich. Just recently, he started writing columns again for the german magazine "GUITAR"

External links:
    His official website - Go here for more info on Abi, clips from the "King Of Heart" album and much more
    A Team Music Academy - The website of his school
    Jazzmachine
    GUITAR magazine Germany

• Recent Articles