Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
  • White Christmas

Guitar chord solos are technically challenging. They're a great way to practice chords and involve a lot of arranging techniques. This version of White Christmas will hopefully give you an insight, and perhaps a song to strum this christmas.

Well it's Christmas time again and we're being bombarded with Christmas songs and carols. Yes, I gotta say that I can't help but feeling a little jealous if I think how much money Georgy makes just on the performance rights of 'Last Christmas' (but this is a different story).

Anyway, Christmas is also the time when families meet in a (hopefully) relaxed and friendly way. I dunno about you but it's happened to me so many times that I'm asked to play something ... 'Oh please, play something for us ... etc ... a Christmas song ...'. When I started out I thought 'Aaaah, I'm learning guitar to improvise for the greater benefit of my artistic soul - you don't understand!'... So I ended up saying 'Sorry, can't do ...'.

Later on I realised that I was wrong and that it is quite important to have some kind of solo repertoire, be it an improvised Blues, a chord melody solo, or just a simple song (where I really do know the lyrics!!!).

General thoughts about Chord Solos

My first real introduction to chord solos was when I began my studies at Berklee. I was really intrigued by the possibilities of this technique and all the different aspects involved in the style ...

- Chord solos are technically challenging. It's a great way to practice chords and different voicings in a practical and musical way. Furthermore, it helps improve synchronisation of left and right hands.

- Chord solos involve a lot of arranging techniques. As I got further into my studies at Berklee, the more I got interested in arranging. Although the studies were mainly intended for Big Bands and the like, writing chord solos for guitar follow the same rules. Needless to say, writing stuff down on paper is a lot of fun ...

- You don't need anybody else. This is probably what got me hooked the most. It's all in your hands. I don't need to deal with any other musician, which can sometimes be a challenge on it's own.

- and last but not least: Repertoire.

• Recent Articles

• Recent Posts

PRJ Sokolich

PRJ Sokolich On Cyclical Tuning

...from Music and Tunings of the Ancient Sumerians, then the Ancient Babylonians, to Pythagoras and other of THE Ancient Greek Philosophers, to Prince

PRJ Sokolich 09-21-2019, 11:41 PM Go to last post
    barryallen1337

What's wrong with my Muscle Memory?

By far the most common problem that beginners face when learning guitar, is the inability to perform smooth and seamless chord changes.

Without

barryallen1337 09-20-2019, 08:06 PM Go to last post
    barryallen1337

building dexterity and hand strength

Grab a soft ball and hold it in your palm, squeezing it as hard as you can without causing your hands pain. Hold this position for three to five seconds,

barryallen1337 09-20-2019, 08:04 PM Go to last post
    barryallen1337

Beginners Blues rhythm guitar - ideal first guitar lesson

2 strumming hacks that will make your guitar chords come alive.
    The no1 secret to staying in time.
    Guitar chords for beginner, intermediate

barryallen1337 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM Go to last post
    barryallen1337

Which one to begin: electric or bass guitar?

Keep in mind these are 2 very different instruments. They both have strings and that's about where the similarity ends. Bass music is written in the

barryallen1337 09-20-2019, 08:03 PM Go to last post
    barryallen1337

Buying a new guitar

You have 3 basic choices of sound when you buy a guitar:

Nylon String Classical
    Steel String Acoustic
    Electric
    A lot of

barryallen1337 09-20-2019, 08:02 PM Go to last post