PDA

View Full Version : Poisoned Changes :-o

phantom
01-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey there fellow IBMers!

I'd like to share my astonishment. :D
Yesterday i had to learn "Poison" by Alice Cooper (for tha cover-band thaang).
Yep.. stupid rock-song. Totally mainstream.. boring etc.

Now, wait and see.

first of all it starts out with a cool riff/single note lick in Dmixolydian.
The Chorus is in Dminor though.
Not enough for that - watch the bridge:

The chords are:
Gmin | Eb | Bb | F
Cmin | Ab | Eb | Bb
Amin | F | C | G
Dmin | Bb | F | C

(Pretty long bridge that is ;))

As i see it, it does: i | bVI | III | bVII
and changes key after every round, starting at Gminor
- a 4th up (to Cmin)
- a minor 3rd down (to Amin)
- a 4th up (to Dmin)

Now, for all that fancy modulations it sounds pretty smooth!

Has anyone encountered similar strangnesses elsewhere?
The misterious Key-change pattern 4th up - minor 3rd down - 4th up?

Or am i totally wrong and that thing is completely diatonic in a key i don't know of? :eek:

Still astonished,
Phantom :)

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
That's some nice analysis there Phantdude.

I can hear it in my mind with those key changes and I wonder what the classic rock chorus key change is for example in Bon Jovi, Living On a Prayer.

That to me is very much the classic key change for a chorus, what interval is that?

phantom
01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Living on a prayer is basically Emin.

the bridge goes something like:

C D| D Em |
C D| D Em |
C D| D Em D (<- on the 4)|
C | D |

Then the Chorus:

G C | D |
Emin C | D |
G C | D |
Emin C | D |

The verse is that Emin talkbox vamp with some C |D in between.

Then the classic key change you mean is in the last chorus (i guess as always :D), and goes a wholestep or a minor 3rd up.

In Rainbows "since you've been gone" you have that classic key change as well during the last chorus.
Starts in Fmajor and the last Choruses are in Gmajor.

(From what i can remember.)

:)

EricV
01-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, "Poison" is a cool tune. I used to be in a Bon Jovi coverband ( fess up time, huh ? ) at some point, and we occasionally threw in tunes by other artists and bands, including "Poison". Cool song, and the album its on ( "Trash" ) has a load of awesome players ( Sambora, Lukather etc. )

"Living On A Prayer" goes up a minor third for the last chorus. Bon Jovi seems to use such a key change at the end of songs quite often. I remember that the end of "Il Be There For You" goes up a whole step as well.
Eric

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Ah yes, the minor third! Classic.

I can hear it now.

"Whoooaaaaaaaa, we're half way theeeerrre..."
:D

Madaxeman
01-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Ol' Alice has some tricks in his bag! Like Ozzy, always has great musicians around him.
As for Bon Jovi...'Slippery When Wet' has some great songs on it. "Dead or Alive" has got to be a rock classic.

EricV
01-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Alice also had Satch and Vai play on at least one of his songs. Slash too, and I think Vinnie Moore as well. ( I think all this was on the "Feed My Frankenstein" album ).
Also, for touring he had Al Pitrelli ( awesome player ) in the late 80s, early 90s, and Reb Beach ( ex-Winger ) in the late 90s.
Eric

Madaxeman
01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
The "Hey Stoopid!" album had a ton of guests too. Even Sixx/Mars from Motley Crue.
Reb Beach...haven't heard him in awhile. His solo on Winger's "Miles Away" was one of my favorites.

EricV
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I think I meant the "Hey Stoopid" album... was confused because "Feed My Frankenstein" was on there...
Eric