PDA

View Full Version : Tapping articles

Lynxo
01-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Today I decided I wanted to work on my tapping technique, with a little help from one of the articles here at ibreathemusic.com but... I couldn't find any article about tapping. No one wrote such an article? And I'm not talking about legato in general, but specific to tapping.

phantom
01-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Oh oh...

You are right. And we had quite a few requests for one.

I guess it's about time someone writes one. :D

So come one guys!!! Who is able and willing!!

Stand up!

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
You are Sven!:D

Come to think of it, i could have a go at some beginner introduction stuff...

I think there are better men for the job though.

eastwood
01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
ooooh !

Yes please !

I would like to further my tapping vocab too

Hi russ ! Hows things ?

Daz

Bizarro
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I wish I had the time to write the article... If no one writes one in the next month I'll see what I can do. Or if you guys start one I'll be happy to edit or comment on the rough draft.

In the meantime, learn how to play:
1) Eruption tapping part
2) Hot For Teacher tapping intro
3) Extreme's He Man Woman Hater tapping intro lick
4) Extreme's Get the Funk Out solo tapping lick
5) Van Halen's Cathedral

The tab is out there is you search for it! :) (google)

Here are some examples of me playing that I posted here:
Cathedral:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4712
Get the Funk Out lick: (shred.mp3, scroll down a bit...)
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872

phantom
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
In the meantime, learn how to play:
2) Hot For Teacher tapping intro
3) Extreme's He Man Woman Hater tapping intro lick
4) Extreme's Get the Funk Out solo tapping lick
5) Van Halen's Cathedral

LOL.. i guess if someone played through that stuff, an article about how to tap is not really necessary anymore. :D

Bizarro
01-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Good point! :) But then again, nobody taught me how to tap and I figured those out on my own... so maybe it's a better way to go! :)

phantom
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Hm - Yeah, right!

Back in the days we had to figure out so much stuff on our own with our little tiny hands..
*sigh*

It did no harm though. :)

So what to do?
Write an article with rough guidelines?
Advanced tapping only?

Or just the basics and let them run?

To me it seems like quiet a task to write an tapping-article, not because i can't tap, but because it is a huge subject.. that also can be reduced to 10 sentences and then let the students do their own experiences.

Feeling quiet helpless writing that article now - i'll see if i can come up with something really helpful and intelligent. Something that is not only "put your right hand on the fretboard".
hm.......

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 03:36 PM
ooooh !

Yes please !

I would like to further my tapping vocab too

Hi russ ! Hows things ?

Daz

OK mate, you keepin' well? Good to see you on the boards!

I've seen you play, you don't need any lessons from me thats for sure!:D

Now we've got Biz and The Phanttapper on board I think I can safely step away from the subject...

eastwood
01-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi Russ !!!!

.....hope you had a great Christmas and New Year !

Hope the family is well and all

Still looking foward to a tapping article tho !

Daz

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I think it would be a good idea to start with some really basic stuff, like... Start with tapped triadic arps that include the open string, so you control only one note with the left hand and one with the right plus the open string.

Then move onto more than one note with the left hand but still only one with the right

Then multiple notes with both hands but still only using one finger on the right hand

Then multiple notes and multiple fingers on both hands

Then multiple strings and rhythm variations etc.

and upwards from there!

EricV
01-11-2006, 03:57 PM
LOL.. i guess if someone played through that stuff, an article about how to tap is not really necessary anymore. :D
Oh, I disagree =)
Even though Eddie used to do a lot of tapping stuff, there is a whole lot more to explore, like the "Midnight" style, stuff Steve Lynch did, Greg Howe-style stuff etc.

The reason ( other than time issues ) that I havenīt written one yet ( which seems to be amusing to people who know me as they know I use tapping a LOT ) is
- If I promise a whole series, it might be a long time until the next part comes out after Iīve written a first one
- There is SO much material, starting with the basic VH-style tapping, to the more advanced or wicked stuff
- Its hard to tell what people are interested in... the basics have been explained so often in all kindsa books and vids, and the more advanced stuff might be too hard for people completely new to the technique.

Some people want really sophisticated stuff, others want a nice introduction to the basics... and since itīs a huge topic, it almost HAS to be a series IMO.
And somehow, I never really got started. I prepared TABs and an introduction for a first article, but yet have to do vids and actually write the article.
Eric

phantom
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Yep Eric.. the interessting stuff comes beyond the Halen stuff.. that's for sure.
But if someone looks for a "how to tap" article a transcription of 9 finger taps could kill him. :D

Like i said - it's hard to find out where to start and even harder where to end and in what direction you go.
It would be a possibility to show the basics and then what people did with that technique with examples.
Personally i tap mostly just as an extension of the left hand. When i run out of fingers. :D
Or to do wide intervall stuff, but not the "usual" widdelywiddely stuff.

Oh well.. i still think if somone is doing a tapping article it has to cover a loooot of stuff - at the end of the day it is anyway: This is how it works - now find your own way to put it to use.
(which would make a pretty short article again - AAAAaaaarrRrGGgGHhhHhhh)

UKRuss
01-11-2006, 07:43 PM
I think between Eric, Sven and Biz we could have a whole series!

The gaps in between can be filled with Strictly Tapping based on the previous article!

I like it!:D

Bizarro
01-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Tapping is like the dark side of the force. Very easy to get into, and you can make some wicked noises in a short amount of time. I learned from the masters, and then I applied it every way I could think of: scales, pentatonics, octaves, etc. And then I heard things that Nuno did and they blew me away! :)

Eric knows all the licks that I do (and probably a lot more), and he is a better teacher. I nominate him! :)

EricV
01-16-2006, 04:52 AM
OK ok, part 1 is done. Yet have to submit it to Guni and Clive, but I know they are quite busy, so it might take a little while till itīs published ( and I have another article ready for publishing already, so that one will be first )
Eric

PS: Bizarro, thanks, I am flattered !

JailHouseRock
01-16-2006, 08:29 AM
what a good news.. ;)

Lynxo
01-16-2006, 09:09 AM
OK ok, part 1 is done. Yet have to submit it to Guni and Clive, but I know they are quite busy, so it might take a little while till itīs published ( and I have another article ready for publishing already, so that one will be first )
Eric

PS: Bizarro, thanks, I am flattered !

Damn, that was fast! Thank you so much, kind sir!:D

I'm also glad it was you who wrote the article. I have read your other work, it rocks!

I'm just wondering, how long might it take til it's published? Are we talking about days, weeks, maybe months?

EricV
01-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I really canīt tell, itīs not gonna be months though.
The other article I submitted will hopefully be published shortly. Once that is done, I should get a new "article slot", which I am gonna upload the tapping one to.
You see, the admins need to proof read and check ( Iīm glad they do ), and that takes a while. Both of them are quite busy atm, so it just takes a little while. It should happen soon though
Thanks for your kind words
Eric

curiousgeorge
01-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I really canīt tell, itīs not gonna be months though.
The other article I submitted will hopefully be published shortly. Once that is done, I should get a new "article slot", which I am gonna upload the tapping one to.
You see, the admins need to proof read and check ( Iīm glad they do ), and that takes a while. Both of them are quite busy atm, so it just takes a little while. It should happen soon though
Thanks for your kind words
Eric

You should check out my new technique...tapping with the fret hand, nose, and right foot toes simultaneously while harmonizing with my voice. Just slays the ladies, my friend... :p

CG

phantom
01-16-2006, 12:42 PM
You should check out my new technique...tapping with the fret hand, nose, and right foot toes simultaneously while harmonizing with my voice. Just slays the ladies, my friend...

I'm couriously waiting for an article on that George!
:D

rrhea
01-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Can't wait for the article, Eric!

What I would love to see are a couple of those cool legato licks that morph into tapping, then back to legato and vice versa. I've seen Gilbert and others do this and it sounds and looks so awesome... plus they seem to be able to go on forever and all over the neck this way. Very cool stuff.

RR

EricV
01-16-2006, 07:20 PM
that will definitely be included in part 2 or 3 of the tapping articles. This one focusses on basic. Since those "tap / legato combinations" are a part of my style ( sweep / tap as well ), Iīll make sure to write about this
Thanks
Eric