PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of jack semple?

nemesis
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
this guys a canadian guitar hotshot with a great technique. i saw him playing on some christmas special and noticed that he has a kind of jeff beck picking thing happening and then he went from a fingerstyle kind of thing into some pretty fast picked lines. at first i thought he was palming a pick which he would use for faster stuff but i guess he's just a straight fingerstyle guy. i've seen jeff beck pick fast stuff kind of the same way(and i think kevin eubandks sometimes does it this way too) and i have no idea how they get it to sound so clean. i think that they're just using a hand position where it looks like they're holding a pick but they substitute a fingertip or nail for a pick. i've tried this before but i didn't quite sound right. anyone know what kind of right-hand teqhnique these guys are using?

silent-storm
01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I can't remember the technique he was using because it's been about two years since I've seen him. Jeff Beck esque...but he switches it up as well. His tone doesn't sound like he's using nails, but you never know.

But your right, Jack Semple kicks a lot of ***. It's about time that a straight up white blues guy came along and did something other then cop SRV. And he's go an incredible voice too.

nemesis
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't remember the technique he was using because it's been about two years since I've seen him. Jeff Beck esque...but he switches it up as well. His tone doesn't sound like he's using nails, but you never know.

But your right, Jack Semple kicks a lot of ***. It's about time that a straight up white blues guy came along and did something other then cop SRV. And he's go an incredible voice too.

i guess that JB keeps his nails pretty short so it must just be callused up fingertip on his index that keeps the attack from sounding a little "soft". maybe its just me but that guy can play so much better than he lets on with his cd performances. when i saw him live i was blown away by how unrestricted he was even with his fingerstyle technique.

jack semple on the other hand i did see with nails since i guess he dabbles in flamenco and classical style playing as well but when i was watching him burn up the fretboard he definitely wasn't using flamenco picking.

watching how these guys can play makes a guy wonder why any of us even bother to use a pick at all.