PDA

View Full Version : How does IA do this.

flathead
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM
If anyone would be so kind to go to freakkitchen.com and there is a link there on the opening page, where it says ---> Check out the tune Leal Souvenir from Mumbai on video with IA and Hellborg here (8,94 mb). (Right now its in the 4th paragraph on the opening page.)

Anyway my question is at about 5:10 in this video he starts doing some wierd harmonic tricks that I have no clue what he's doing. Could anyone shed light on this please. Thanks

perth
01-03-2006, 02:56 AM
hes using natural and artificial harmonics with the whammy bar. Not quite sure what you want for an answer.

EricV
01-04-2006, 03:31 AM
As far as I can tell after taking a quick look, it´s his "trademark" lick... he is creating a harmonic with the left hand ( kinda slapping the string with a finger of his left hand, thereby creating an harmonic... kinda hard to explain, but it gets easier to understand if you watch some other videos of him. Dimebag Darrell had a similar trick. He did a pull off, then touched the string to get an harmonic ) and then applies the wang bar to it.
Check out Eklundh songs like "The Grey Hat Of Compromise", "Lydia´s House" or his wicked cover of "Smoke On The Water" to hear him use those harmonics.
Eric

Ragman
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah he does things like that a lot, he also uses some metal like ring thing sometimes that he scratches at the strings with, its pretty wild. its like a part of a hose or something hah.

I pretty much leave him alone, his stuff is real weird and just uses stuff i cant comprehend right now, im gunna start with Fredrik from Meshuggah first, once i get that down i might move on to IA.

smallbusrider
01-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Lets not forget IA's weird tunings....these definitely facilitate the whammy pedal sounding harmonics and access to strange harmonic intervals one would have difficulty reaching in standard tuning. He truly is the "Freak" in Freak Kitchen!!!