PDA

View Full Version : My Practice Schedule.

headrulz101
01-02-2006, 03:18 AM
Well guys after spending quite some time putting together a serious, fun practice schedule I have come up with something that I think is pretty good. I would like to see what you guys think about it. These are the serious practice hours where I concentrate fully on my practicing. There is still lots of practicing outside these hours but I like to call these the strict hours. All suggestions/comments are welcome.

p.s Everything "x" consists of Modes, Chords, and everything that has to do with the given key.

Guitar Practice Schedule

Monday:

Warm up (10 min)

Scales and Technique Exercises (40 min)

Everything C (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in C (5 min)

Rhythm (30 min)

Improvise Jam (10 min)

Tuesday:

Warm up (10 min)

Everything G (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in G (5 min)

Book Work (30 min)

Improvise Jam (5 min)

Wednesday:

Warm up (10 min)

Everything D (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in D (5 min)

Chords/Arpeggios Workout (30 min)

Improvise Jam (5 min)

Thursday:

Warm up (10 min)

Everything A (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in A (5 min)

Intervals, Intervals, Intervals! (15 min)

Rhythm (15 min)

Theory (30 60 min)

Friday:

Warm up (10 min)

Everything E (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in E (5 min)

Rhythm (20 min)

Book Work (20 min)

Improvise Jam (5 min)

Saturday:

Warm up (10 min)

Scales and Technique Exercises (1 hour)

Everything B (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in B (5 min)

Intervals, Intervals, Intervals! (20 min)

Chord/Arpeggio Workout (30 min)

Improvise Jam (15 min)

Theory (30 60 min)

Sunday:

Warm up (10 min)

Scales and Technique Exercises (1 hour)

Everything F (30 min)

Form Chords/Triads/Arpeggios in F (5 min)

Rhythm (30 min)

End of Week Workout/Fun (20 min)

Style Workout (15 min)

Improvise Jam (10 min)

Dream of Becoming a Famous Musician (10 hours)

JailHouseRock
01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Walla!! Great schedule!!
It gave me some idea.
Tq. ;)

headrulz101
01-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Walla!! Great schedule!!
It gave me some idea.
Tq. ;)

Thanks man. I think the part I like the most about this schedule is that I work on a different key every day. This helps me concentrate more on that key and understand it. I feel organized now. It seems like I have something to look forward to and it makes me fully concentrate when I'm practicing.

gersdal
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Impressing and well structured. I'm sure you know Eric Vandenbergs articles that also gives some ideas on schedule... and the chineese box that he mentioned somewhere.

Could you describe a little more what you mean with Everything "X"?

p.s Everything "x" consists of Modes, Chords, and everything that has to do with the given key.

I guess it includes running through the modes in that key, playing the different chords in X (Major, minor, 7th, 6th, sus4, etc etc) in differnt positions. Do you also include different voicings, voicings with all the tones in the mode in top etc?

headrulz101
01-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Impressing and well structured. I'm sure you know Eric Vandenbergs articles that also gives some ideas on schedule... and the chineese box that he mentioned somewhere.

Could you describe a little more what you mean with Everything "X"?

I guess it includes running through the modes in that key, playing the different chords in X (Major, minor, 7th, 6th, sus4, etc etc) in differnt positions. Do you also include different voicings, voicings with all the tones in the mode in top etc?

Thanks man, and yes I've read most of Eric's articles(great stuff).

By Everything "X" it's exactly that. Today is Monday so I will be concetrating on C. Everything that has to do with C. Chords, Scales/Modes and voicings too, everything.

The only thing about this practice schedule that I think can change around to my liking is the practice time for each area. This is kind of like the minimum. So let's say today it says Technique Exercises, 40 minutes. I can practice for 2 hours if I feel I need to work on certain things in technique and then continue on with my schedule.

UKRuss
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
No room for everything Eb?;)

headrulz101
01-02-2006, 09:22 PM
No room for everything Eb?;)

Haha, yea those ones can get added in later on. I wanna get the natural notes all good first.:cool:

UKRuss
01-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah it looks good to me. i was just kidding

ashc
01-03-2006, 09:39 AM
What about time for repetoire?

UKRuss
01-03-2006, 04:41 PM
You know the thing i like about it is it shows that you take each key seriously in terms of studying the notes ni the key and where they \are on the fretboard.

It is very easy to say I'll just do everything C and then transpose patterns o other keys.

but while you are thinking about the nores of a key, despite the fact you may see recurring patterns you are actually thinking about what note you are playing at any given time.

S'cool.

I like the way you go round the cycle of fifths, adding in an extra sharp each day. nice touch.

perhaps every other week you could go backwards round the cycle of fourths? that might test your flats too.

smallbusrider
01-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I usually practice one key per week, instead of per day. It tends to reinforce it in your mind and under your fingers better.Not only that it allows you to explore in greater detail. But thats just me. :) Good all-encompassing schedule though. I would take at least one day off though. I do 3-3-1/2 hours a day. My schedule changes every week but i practice the same thing all week. And of course it always concentrates on problem areas. For instance, I always have to practice alternate picking to keep it to a reasonable speed. If I stop, i lose it.
Here's a sample week (remember to always take breaks!!!):
Hour 1:
10 min warm up
20 min alternate picking exercises (changes week to week)
10 minutes sweep exercise (changes week to week)
10 minute break(relax! you don't need to concentrate on what you just did. You're concentration was used in that hour. Watch 10 minutes of the Simpsons or something! :))
Hour 2 (actually 1:30min) (Pick a weekly Key):
Scales (Changes every week) 15 min
Arpeggios (Changes every week between types (maj min) positions or picking (sweep,alt or taps))
Chords 15min
Chord Progressions built off of weekly key (30min)
15 minute break (have a cup of tea or something and relax)
Hour 3 (Sounds deceptively simple):
Lick of the week: Pick a cool lick you cannot play and work on it. If it takes more than a week so be it. You will find that licks difficult now will fall under your fingers a lot easier after practicing for a while. Remember to practice it in your "key of the week" though- 15 minutes
Song of the week (again, if it takes longer than a week so be it. Learn all of the nuances and pull it apart. Remember to learn the chord progressions, then the fills, then the solo, in that order so you can logically understand the single note relationships to the chords.)I find the song of the week is the ultimate technique/style builder. Notice that there is no exercises set aside daily for rhythms. This is because it should be contained in your song of the week. Having problems with funk? Pull out a James Brown or other greasy funk tune.(Earth,Wind and Fire have some great funk riffs too.) Want to work on speed metal? Learn a Morbid Angel tune. Bottom line is: gear your song to what you want/need to work on. And at the same time you will build a reportoire.

You will notice Improv is not part of this lesson. It may replace the song of the week depending on the weekly schedule. Like I said, this is just a sample weekly schedule. And theres tons of other things. Find the maximum hours you can spend on concentrated learning. And apply it to learning different aspects of playing. As soon as you learn them you do not need to practice them as often and can replace them with other areas. I have used this method since 1994 with great results up until April 2005 when i suffered a freak grocery accident (sounds funny but true-if anyone wants me to explain I will-this is stuff that only happens to me!!!) typing this is taking me forever because I use only the index finger on the right hand with the four left hand fingers. I will be back to practicing soon. My right hand is slowly recovering and I do not want to rush anything.) Im looking toward April 2006 to get things going again.

Everyone have a good one!
SBR

headrulz101
01-04-2006, 02:38 AM
I usually practice one key per week, instead of per day. It tends to reinforce it in your mind and under your fingers better.Not only that it allows you to explore in greater detail. But thats just me. :) Good all-encompassing schedule though. I would take at least one day off though. I do 3-3-1/2 hours a day. My schedule changes every week but i practice the same thing all week. And of course it always concentrates on problem areas. For instance, I always have to practice alternate picking to keep it to a reasonable speed. If I stop, i lose it.
Here's a sample week (remember to always take breaks!!!):
Hour 1:
10 min warm up
20 min alternate picking exercises (changes week to week)
10 minutes sweep exercise (changes week to week)
10 minute break(relax! you don't need to concentrate on what you just did. You're concentration was used in that hour. Watch 10 minutes of the Simpsons or something! :))
Hour 2 (actually 1:30min) (Pick a weekly Key):
Scales (Changes every week) 15 min
Arpeggios (Changes every week between types (maj min) positions or picking (sweep,alt or taps))
Chords 15min
Chord Progressions built off of weekly key (30min)
15 minute break (have a cup of tea or something and relax)
Hour 3 (Sounds deceptively simple):
Lick of the week: Pick a cool lick you cannot play and work on it. If it takes more than a week so be it. You will find that licks difficult now will fall under your fingers a lot easier after practicing for a while. Remember to practice it in your "key of the week" though- 15 minutes
Song of the week (again, if it takes longer than a week so be it. Learn all of the nuances and pull it apart. Remember to learn the chord progressions, then the fills, then the solo, in that order so you can logically understand the single note relationships to the chords.)I find the song of the week is the ultimate technique/style builder. Notice that there is no exercises set aside daily for rhythms. This is because it should be contained in your song of the week. Having problems with funk? Pull out a James Brown or other greasy funk tune.(Earth,Wind and Fire have some great funk riffs too.) Want to work on speed metal? Learn a Morbid Angel tune. Bottom line is: gear your song to what you want/need to work on. And at the same time you will build a reportoire.

You will notice Improv is not part of this lesson. It may replace the song of the week depending on the weekly schedule. Like I said, this is just a sample weekly schedule. And theres tons of other things. Find the maximum hours you can spend on concentrated learning. And apply it to learning different aspects of playing. As soon as you learn them you do not need to practice them as often and can replace them with other areas. I have used this method since 1994 with great results up until April 2005 when i suffered a freak grocery accident (sounds funny but true-if anyone wants me to explain I will-this is stuff that only happens to me!!!) typing this is taking me forever because I use only the index finger on the right hand with the four left hand fingers. I will be back to practicing soon. My right hand is slowly recovering and I do not want to rush anything.) Im looking toward April 2006 to get things going again.

Everyone have a good one!
SBR

Haha lol what happened with the groceries! After reading that and looking at that schedule. I actually think it would work better then my schedule that I put together. After practicing for a while, I like the fact that things change weekly. I think its good and it can really eliminate certain problems you encounter. Thanks!

smallbusrider
01-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Probably has less to do with groceries and more to do with depth perception.here goes:
It's nighttime,and im carrying groceries from the car. I put the groceries in my left hand and close the door with my right, pushing the door closed, palm out. Because it is night time, I misjudge the distance to close the car door (i thought it would close sooner than it did) So with the force of my push and the extra distance needed to cover, I hyperextend my palm and hear a pop. Excruciating pain in the heel pad of the thumb (lower palm). Pain persists for a couple of months (I don't know how I put up with it!!!). Diagnosis: A tendon was displaced and had to be placed back (Mind you, this is extremely rare-I can tell you of a million other rare things that happened to me (lol)).Good news: No surgery-tendon was stretched out of location-tendon popped back into place eventually, thank God with a noticable reduction in pain. Unfortunately, when a tendon goes through a trauma like that, its not immediately normal. I still experience pain, though it seems to be getting better. Playing guitar seems kind of foreign and im just strumming right now. Just do a lot of tennis ball squeezing right now (actually a theraputic ball)

Any way thats the story, the next one I can tell you is when I contracted Cat Scratch Fever (Actually Cat Scratch Disease) In 2004 and had to have a huge, painful, infected lymph node removed from my crotch. Big Fun!!!

headrulz101
01-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Probably has less to do with groceries and more to do with depth perception.here goes:
It's nighttime,and im carrying groceries from the car. I put the groceries in my left hand and close the door with my right, pushing the door closed, palm out. Because it is night time, I misjudge the distance to close the car door (i thought it would close sooner than it did) So with the force of my push and the extra distance needed to cover, I hyperextend my palm and hear a pop. Excruciating pain in the heel pad of the thumb (lower palm). Pain persists for a couple of months (I don't know how I put up with it!!!). Diagnosis: A tendon was displaced and had to be placed back (Mind you, this is extremely rare-I can tell you of a million other rare things that happened to me (lol)).Good news: No surgery-tendon was stretched out of location-tendon popped back into place eventually, thank God with a noticable reduction in pain. Unfortunately, when a tendon goes through a trauma like that, its not immediately normal. I still experience pain, though it seems to be getting better. Playing guitar seems kind of foreign and im just strumming right now. Just do a lot of tennis ball squeezing right now (actually a theraputic ball)

Any way thats the story, the next one I can tell you is when I contracted Cat Scratch Fever (Actually Cat Scratch Disease) In 2004 and had to have a huge, painful, infected lymph node removed from my crotch. Big Fun!!!

Lmao, man that is rare. I hope the second one never happens to me. That must suck big time lol. I will also tell you that I have taken your schedule and I am going to use it for myself. I like the fact of sticking to 1 key and technique every week. Thanks!

smallbusrider
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Lmao, man that is rare. I hope the second one never happens to me. That must suck big time lol. I will also tell you that I have taken your schedule and I am going to use it for myself. I like the fact of sticking to 1 key and technique every week. Thanks!

No prob. Always glad to help. Keep us posted on your progress after 4 months. This is the first time Ive recommended my practice schedule to someone else besides myself and I'm curious how it works for others.I based the one week method according to statements by many experts-guitar players and physicians-concerning their views on memory and muscle memory. One group of doctors or guitar players say that it takes three days to absorb information to where it becomes second nature-thats just mental memory. Others say the same about muscle memory-So i put two and two together and made it a week to totally absorb guitar information. I'm sure i am probably not the only one who has thought of this, though a lot of people do not know about it.

Anyhow, there's a little background..Have fun

headrulz101
01-04-2006, 05:32 PM
No prob. Always glad to help. Keep us posted on your progress after 4 months. This is the first time Ive recommended my practice schedule to someone else besides myself and I'm curious how it works for others.I based the one week method according to statements by many experts-guitar players and physicians-concerning their views on memory and muscle memory. One group of doctors or guitar players say that it takes three days to absorb information to where it becomes second nature-thats just mental memory. Others say the same about muscle memory-So i put two and two together and made it a week to totally absorb guitar information. I'm sure i am probably not the only one who has thought of this, though a lot of people do not know about it.

Anyhow, there's a little background..Have fun

Yeah man, my schedule was good and all, but it seemed like I was rushing everything. I'll keep you posted on how its working.