PDA

View Full Version : Creativity..

headrulz101
12-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Hey guys I just started writing some licks and some short songs. They're all pretty good, but they are a bit boring and they sound repetitive. I read some of the articles on IBM about creativeness and they are all pretty helpful, but I would also like some inut from you guys here, since you guys have helped me with my past troubles and I seem to understand more. Thanks.

mattyvegas43
12-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Work on your ear so you can play what you hear in your head, and check out some of the articles on vai.com

silent-storm
12-13-2005, 08:21 PM
transcribe, transcribe, transcribe

listen, listen, listen

that's about it

forgottenking2
12-14-2005, 04:04 AM
What silent storm said.

Zatz
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey guys I just started writing some licks and some short songs.

Try to compose melodies on 1 or 2 strings to escape from playing in boxes or write them using keys or any other melodic instrument. Sing them.

gersdal
12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
We discussed something similar in the thread:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8919

phantom
12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
What forgotten king said.

Padawan
12-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Don't think, just feel it and let your heart choose the right notes (hm...more smileys would be cool!)
otherwise: What Phantom said

jade_bodhi
12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
The difference between right and wrong is usually half a step.

Man, ain't that the truth!

Apple-Joe
12-28-2005, 07:03 AM
When composing; if you ever reach a level when you feel you're doing 'the same' over and over, go for randomness! It might spice things up a bit.

Ie. when creating a chord progression, forget about diatonic keys! Apply the 3-4 chords that you can think of. Think as random as possible, for instance: F7, Daug, C, Bdiminished7. And so on. You are able to create interesting sounds if you use the chord scale approach together with this - or if you really feel like a clown you can even use scales which doesn't neccessarily fit these chords.

Anyway, a good idea - which ever notes, scales or chords you choose - is to always keep the rhythm as interesting as possible.

Try these few hints and see what happens.

It certainly works for me every now and then. When I think about it, I think it's time for some randomness quite soon really!