PDA

View Full Version : Stricktly Chord voicing Jazz Blues

gersdal
12-09-2005, 07:09 PM
For a strictly chord voicing I've recorded a jazz blues backing (in G-major). The changes is in general:

| G7 | C7 | G7 | G7 | C7 | C7 | G7 Am7 | Bm7 E7+9 |
| Am7 | D9 | G7 E7 | A7 D7 |

The object of comping is to create nice voicings (extensions and substitutions) and rhythmical elements to add to drums and bass. In my comping example I use a few extensions and substitutions. An example of what you will hear on the comping is:

| G13 // G7+5 | C7 // F#7 | G13 | G#13 / G13 G7+5 | C9 | C#dim7 |
| G7 Am7 | Bm7 Bbm7 | Am7 | D9-5 | G7 E7+9 | A13 D7+9 |

I also tried to include examples of Freddie Greens "four to the bar" comping method (play every beat in the bar, with different voicings of each chord on each beat or every second beat). You'll find this in the second and third chorus.

The file "JazzBluesBareBass" is the file with drums and bass. The file "JazzBluesBacking90" is the example.

I'm looking forward to hearing your takes.

UKRuss
12-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Nice one Gerhard!

...Better get me chord charts out:D

mattblack850
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I shall be on it soon!!!!!

gersdal
12-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Nice one Gerhard!
...Better get me chord charts out:DThanks. I'll try to tab out the voicings on some of my choruses.... I guess that will be more educational if we all try to do some tabbing along with the takes.

gersdal
12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
An example voicing for the jazz blues is tabbed out and shown in the enclosed figure. This should be a reasonable illustration of some of the voicings and the passing chords I've used in the example file.

kjellen
01-04-2006, 02:44 AM
wow! Have to take a go at this! Think I'll have some trouble with "restricting" myself to "small" chords, though, as I normal play slower jazz with my band, and thus have the time to play full chords. This will be something else, that I don't think I'll try tackling at 4 in the morning... ;)

gersdal
01-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Not my intention to put any restriction on you kjellen. Looking forward to your take... and if you can add a ptb with a little on your playing that would be great.

BTW: Nice stuff on UrÝrt. Your band?

kjellen
01-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, my bands. Spett is a real band, Oblivion is just something me and a friend of mine (who only comes to Volda (where I live) in the vacations) put together at nighttime at little PC-studio for fun and to push our technical boundaries...

Don't think I'll do a take in a month's time, though. Have a concert with my jazz band in less than three weeks, and really don't know the material as well as I'd like to... :S

gersdal
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
For those of you that are interested in chord voicings for blues progressions, there's a great Master class in this month's Guitar Player. Andy Ellis even was kind enough to give all the examples in G, so you can all use them in this stricktly without transposing :D

Joe Pass Jr
02-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Edit:
I have removed the original file becuase it wont let me post the new ones along side it for some reason. Anywho, enjoy the latest takes. They make a bit more sense anyway.

gersdal
02-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Joe Pass Jr,
Great take. Nice tone also. Would be great if you could tab out voicings you've used (approximately).

hermit
04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Gersdal,
Had a lotta fun playing to your backing track,heres my take .Thanks for taking the trouble .
Regards ....Hermit

gersdal
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Great, that's just how I wish I could play!!! Again, it would be great to see some tabs of what you're playing (approximately).
G

hermit
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks pal, :) I'l tab the voicings as soon as i get the time..cheers...hermit

Joe Pass Jr
04-13-2006, 07:58 AM
very smooth hermit.. thanks for keeping this neglected thread alive

hermit
04-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Thanks joe pass jr, I managed to tab some of the choruses, they're not the same as the mp3 but it pretty much nails my approach.I started teaching myself to read a month back started with strictly getting the notes down,my note and time values suck hence the ptb is in quarter notes :) Play with the time
"Personaly I'd rather hear Albert King drop his guitar on the foor,than hear a jazz guitarist play streams of sixteen notes"--Scot Henderson :D
Hope the the ptb helps --regards-
Hermit

gersdal
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks a lot for the ptb. IMO there is a need for educational stuff for most of us on chord voicings and comping, and your contribution is great. I see that we have a quite similar approach in the beginning, and then you really take off in a great way. Hope your and Joe's inspirational contributions will bring more members out on the scene :cool:

Joe Pass Jr
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the ptb hermit,, today i actually decided to put some extra time into practicing my comping techniques, you gave me some interesting ideas.. thanks..

maybe you guys might want to have a stab at the chord melody thread i got going. no doubt you will destroy me like shred did.

hermit
04-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys,and you're right gersdal our approach is very similar,i figured all the altered notes of the v chord the 5,9,13 are all a semi-tone above or below the 5ths and the one of the iim of the ii v 1,in this case the [Bm] and the [Am] so i just play around with that,hope this makes some sense...........regards
hermit
P.s-Joe il take a crack at your thread as soon as i can

Apple-Joe
04-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I listened to your track earlier today hermit, and I liked it. I also listened to the Pitch-Axis take, very good. Keep on recording your strictlies! There's a bunch left.

Joe Pass Jr
05-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I was working on that 4 fret technique someone mentioned in the forums and came up with this little doozie. If you dont know what im talking about. Simply find all the chords and inversions you can in a 4 fret span. Its a great tool for understanding the chord shapes/inversions. Anyway.Enjoy.
Ill post some tab later on. This one is in F too.. all chords were built between the 7th and 11th frets. I know its not that melodic, ill get into the extended chords next.. one thing at a time hey :)

gersdal
05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Great stuff Joe. I'll have to try that... :cool:

joeyd929
05-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I was working on that 4 fret technique someone mentioned in the forums and came up with this little doozie. If you dont know what im talking about. Simply find all the chords and inversions you can in a 4 fret span. Its a great tool for understanding the chord shapes/inversions. Anyway.Enjoy.
Ill post some tab later on. This one is in F too.. all chords were built between the 7th and 11th frets. I know its not that melodic, ill get into the extended chords next.. one thing at a time hey :)

Good idea. Lenny Breau once said during an interview with Tal Farlow that it was not until he studied piano that he understood this sort of chord movement. The same movement is possible in it's own way on guitar but it takes a different mindset.

kjellen
01-16-2007, 12:40 AM
My take:

strat76
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks great, I'm going to try it tonight... :-) Thanks.