PDA

View Full Version : Drop "D" tuning

jkmcgrath
02-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone.

First let me thank you all for such a great site! I wish the internet was around when I was playing in the beginnning! Just getting back into it so I am starting from square one and reinforcing/learning what I have forgotten or remember.

I have noticed some bands(Creed) use a Drop "D" tuning.

1=E
2=B
3=G
4=D
5=A
6=D

I have a korg ga30 tuner that has the ability to tune 5 "semi tones" (what is that anyway?) Will that allow me to tune in "Drop D"? If so how do I go about it? If not what do I need to buy?

Thanks in advanced for your help. (I have searched but came up dry)

John

thegnu
02-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Just tune your guitar normal, then drop the 6th string two semitones to D.

The easiest way to do this is to just pluck the 4th and 6th strings, and tune the 6th down to an octave lower than the fourth (lower the string's tuning until the rythms you hear flatten out).

jkmcgrath
02-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks dude!

EricV
02-18-2003, 02:18 PM
... or simply fret the low E-String at the second fret ( don´t fret too hard though, just apply as much pressure as you usually do ), and tune the string to E then... since you´re actually fretting at the 2nd fret, the open string should be a D then...

When I write and play with that metal-band, Perpetuum Overdose, I often use a Dropped D-tuning... one of my Vandenberg-guitars has 009-046 strings for that purpose, so I can whack the low E-string pretty hard without it being to "slacky"
Eric