PDA

View Full Version : Steve Vai & Joe Satrianai's Right hand technique

The Mechanix
02-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Dudes,

I was at a gig last night and got talking to some guy who plays an electric guitar using a fingerstyle (thumb and 3 fingers) technique. His influences were pink floyd, deep purple.

He told me that this method was technically more difficult than using a pick, and also superior as you can play the same things as with a pick using the nails, but with the added advantages of fingerstyle techniques (i.e. simultaneous notes on different strings etc)

He then told me that this was the method favoured by Vai and Satriani.

I had always thought they were first and foremost pick players. I've seen both at concerts but have never been close up (and I'm shortsighted :mad: ) Could anyone please clear this up.

Another thing (I'll stop soon :) ) is it really possible to perform things like alternate picking without a pick (and get the same aggressive sound)? I remember from Erics 'Brett Garsad ' article that he sweeps using his fingers, but are six string sweeps still possible? If this is indeed the case, then why do the heavy metal brigade (players such as Mustaine, Cavalera, Hetfield, Malmsteen et al ) exclusively use plectrums.

I appreciate there is an element of 'do whatever works for you, there is no right way...', but this guys whole vibe was that it is easy to use a pick and this method was far superior. (We were discussing in the context of electric guitar rock/metal.)

Personally I think there is a whole lot of technique in using a pick and would appreciate any comments on the issue.

(btw I am a dedicated pick player:D )

I'm out like the G 'n' R Tour

Mechanix

np Soulfly - Soulfly

metallibeast
02-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by The Mechanix
I was at a gig last night and got talking to some guy who plays an electric guitar using a fingerstyle (thumb and 3 fingers) technique. His influences were pink floyd, deep purple.

My guitar teacher do use this technique. He told me when he was young, he did not really appreciate using fingerstyle and classical guitar so much. But as you get older you will learn to appreciate it so much more.

As I progress more as a musician, I find that I really like the feel and tone of a classical guitar and is spending time learning it.

He told me that this method was technically more difficult than using a pick, and also superior as you can play the same things as with a pick using the nails, but with the added advantages of fingerstyle techniques (i.e. simultaneous notes on different strings etc)

I'm not really sure about this one. What is easier for someone could be hard for others, so I wouldn't really say its technically harder than using a pick.

I do believe they use the pick for most of their songs. Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.

I remember from Erics 'Brett Garsad ' article that he sweeps using his fingers, but are six string sweeps still possible?

Oh yeah, you can sweep using ur fingers, but its kinda different from how you would sweep using a pick. I've seen people doing it b4 but I'm not an expert on fingerpicking. Any classical guitarist willing to help out here?

-Beast

EricV
02-10-2003, 08:15 PM

I had always thought they were first and foremost pick players.

They are. I am sure they occasionally use a thumb / three finger- or hybrid- ( pick and fingers technique ), but they are first and foremost pick players. Definitely.
Satriani i.e. occasionally uses his fingers to play chords, to pick the strings all at the same time ( piano-style ) as opposed to strumming them with a pick, but all the fast stuff and melodies are played with the pick...

is it really possible to perform things like alternate picking without a pick (and get the same aggressive sound)? I remember from Erics 'Brett Garsad ' article that he sweeps using his fingers, but are six string sweeps still possible?
They are. Brett uses BOTh the pick and the fingers for those sweeps... if heīd i.e. do a sweep from the D- to the high E-string, heīs pick the D-string with the pick, and then use the middle- and ring-finger and the pinkie to pick the adjacent strings.
So for 6 String-sweeps, youīd pick the lower 3 strings and use your fingers for the upper strings.
But Brett usually sticks to 3 or 4 strings when doing sweeps, often doing repeating patterns... that works great with his finger-technique...

If this is indeed the case, then why do the heavy metal brigade (players such as Mustaine, Cavalera, Hetfield, Malmsteen et al ) exclusively use plectrums
Do you mean for sweeping ? Or picking at all ? Cuz I donīt recall Hetfield and Hammett sweeping a lot... well, itīs just a matter of taste. Itīs a different sound when ya use the pick, and also it depends on how you first start out.
Brett simply developed this sweeping-technique with his fingers... learned it that way. Works great for him. Others might prefer to sweep with the pick all the way, simply cuz they are used to it.

I appreciate there is an element of 'do whatever works for you, there is no right way...', but this guys whole vibe was that it is easy to use a pick and this method was far superior. (We were discussing in the context of electric guitar rock/metal.)

Well, once you use a technique like that, itīs easy to say "My technique is superior and SO MUCH harder than YOURS"...
I agree, it takes quite a lot to develop a good picking technique. Both ways ( pick-style and finger-style ) are tough, and both have advantages and disadvantages ( finger style sure can enable you to play simultaneous notes on non-adjacent strings etc., while picking can have a very special sound, agressive etc, which you might not be able to get with your fingers... )
Itīs a "Not black or white"-situation IMHO

I'm out like the G 'n' R Tour

Do you happen to be a visitor of Metal Sludge ? :)
Eric

The Mechanix
02-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the information guys.

and yeah, I love Metal Sludge, it really cracks me up!!

Mechanix

EricV
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Same here :)
Once you know how to take that kinda humor, itīs fun to browse there

Eric

Jeansen
06-24-2004, 12:12 PM
i've just bought a dvd g3 ..(it's my first g3 video ) i'm really satisfied about it but..there's a lot of techniques that i don't know since i'm still a begginer to shred.
1. I saw Satriani put his right hand in the fretboard near the nuts ( left to his fretting left hand ) while he do some legato ( arpeggios maybe?? ) with his left hand ? what technique is it? why did he put his hand ( i think it is a palm) into the fretboard..? n did he use the sustain for his left hand?
he play it on "..potato head groove thing"... oh ya..Vai use this also in little wing solo (..if i'm not wrong...)

2.How do you reduce the noise of tapping? cause i'm quiet trouble if i play a continues tapping licks things like in "midnight " ( Satriani ) .. when i lift my finger n wanted to change string or frets..i keep making some pull off to the open strings.. please help me ..thx U
:)

curiousgeorge
06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
RE: unwanted noise when tapping....
A couple of things. 1. It feels good to rock out and tap like a madman, though you will be sacrificing tone and precision in lieu of speed. Learn to play your licks really slow, like 40-50bpm and don't move the metronome up until you can play the lick 15-20 times in a row without a hitch, making sure you are focusing hard on pulling off cleanly, and without any fret noise. You may have to make some adjustments in your muting techniques, but it will be well worth it to be patient. 2. Try dampening your strings by tying a bandana around the 1st fret (Satriani does this for Midnight) and you will get a more percussive tap. Don't choke the strings too much or you will sound like crap. Also, use a bit of delay mixed with the dry signal to increase sustain. Good luck!
the Beav.

steve0192
06-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi Mechanix,

I'm exclusively a finger style player, and play a lot of rock etc, here's my take
on it.

As far as finger style vs using a pick goes, there are a whole load of strengths
and weaknesses for both ways of playing.

Muting strings, for example, is much easier with a pick, as the heal of your
right hand is just above the strings. If you use standard classical guitar
technique your hand position is very different (Normally If I want this kind
of sound I'd mimic holding a pick, but use my index finger nail instead).

Or how about scraping your pick down the windings of the bass strings?
If you tried to do that with you're nails you'd have a whole host of grooves
down the centre of your nail when you were done.

Using nails can be a real weakness in themselves. If you break a pick you
just grab a new one. If you break a nail, your whole sound changes and you
start missing strings cos your finger is effectively a mm or so smaller.

As far as 6 string sweeping goes, I'd either pick each string with a separate finger
or sweep my thumb across the bottom three strings, then index finger on "g"
middle on "b" and ring on the top "e" then drag my ring finger down across
all 6 strings again. You'll see the flamenco guitarists do something similar
to create a semi-arpeggiated strumming sound.

Regards

Steve