PDA

View Full Version : Practice vs. Depression

martin d
10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi
I have been playing the guitar for ten years and have practised alternate picking almost every day for the past five or six years. I am still struggling to play songs like 'Eugene's Trickbag' and 'Mr. Crowley' although somedays I find that I can play them (but very rarely). I have come to the conclusion that I am technically able to play these songs but the reason I usually can't play them is because I suffer from depression and a lack of confidence. I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice on how to overcome this psycological barrier and let me know if any of you ever had the same problem.
Thanks

gersdal
10-22-2005, 02:05 PM
If your playing Eugene's Trickbag and Mr Crowley, your a great guitar player. Technically way ahead of me and a large portion of the guitar players in the world. Cheer up, and think of what you have acheived :cool:

UKRuss
10-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow! That is a big ask...

i would suggest seeking medical advice if you really think you are suffering from depression. But, hey, like Gersdal if you can play Eugene's you are a head of my game and i dont let that depress me!:D

silent-storm
10-22-2005, 06:40 PM
the only thing I can offer is to never underestimate the skills you already have. Musicians are notorious for thinking they aren't good enough, when they have already put in an incredible amount of work and could impress 95% of people out there.

Spino
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Hey Man I know how you feel ,I 'm kinda nursing a good friend
,a singer ,who's also suffering from Cl Dp and sometimes I really
don't know what to say to him ,but I can see that he's on the mend ,
but mostly he does'nt see it himself .We did some recording in
the Studio a couple a weeks ago and he delivered a great
performance on a song that he'd never sung before and had
only 2 days to prepare for .I was stunned ! He aticulates and
accentuates the subtileties in what I write, songwise. He thought
it was O.K.
What I do try to do is give him a feeling of self -worth without
seeming like I'm kissin his as# and hope that time will heal the
wounds,it's a situation that is becoming more and more prevalent
in this 'ucked up Society we live in and a situation which can
effect anyone. The Clinics are full.But I know that it's the Music
among other things that's helping to heal him and I will
continue to support and help him reach what he's inwardly
striving for and what he deserves.Because he matters.
I wish you luck and a fast recovery.Easy! :cool:

perth
10-24-2005, 04:20 AM
depression usually hits me hardest when i do the same thing for too long. do something completely different and try to find some new inspiration.

polyrhythm
10-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Hey,

I have a depressive disorder as well (double depression which is dysthymia with major depressive episodes) and run into the same problem as well, but it's more along the lines of being too apathetic to pick up the guitar. On one hand, i have bad anxiety as well and it motivates me to practice, but then i'll get all depressed and not do it for a while. What I did was start taking lessons and focusing on what I needed to do that week as opposed to where I wanted to be in five years. It's hard when you want to be the best player right now and you aren't, but when you're always working on it and making progress its a lot easier. So, make some smaller goals for yourself and work your way up to playing those tricky leads.