PDA

View Full Version : Picking with the side of the pick

Danster
02-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Hey guys,
Due to a magazine article I read, I decided to give picking with the side of the pick a try (i.e., instead of picking with the pointy end). I think I like it, although it does feel a little strange. It seems more fluid. Does anyone here use the side of the pick? What are the pros and cons?
Thanks,
Dan

Guni
02-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Danster,

I also use the side of the pick. Main reason is the warm tone I get with this. Another big advantage is that it keeps you from 'falling in between the strings'.

Guni

metallibeast
02-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Guni
Hi Danster,

I also use the side of the pick. Main reason is the warm tone I get with this. Another big advantage is that it keeps you from 'falling in between the strings'.

Guni

Do you use the side of the pick all the time or only when you wana get a different tone? Do you strum with the side of the pick as well?

-Beast

EricV
02-05-2003, 06:46 PM
I do use the side of the pick sometimes when I play melodies, just to get a warmer tone. For blues-style soloing, I use it too.

I donīt use it for fast playing, since to me, it feels as if using the pick that way kinda slows you down. Feels like that to me, at least. Maybe I havenīt tried hard enough.
Eric

Guni
02-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by metallibeast Do you strum with the side of the pick as well? Actually yes - that way it's easier for me to go through the strings - it sounds better and I feel of being in better control.

Guni