PDA

View Full Version : JHR improvisation

JailHouseRock
09-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Hello guys.
I'd like to receive your feedback on my improvisation here.

The chord progressions are E major, Db minor, A major and Bb major.
The solo were mostly based on E Major scale .. i think so..

I'm going to develop it to be a full song.
I would appreciate any comment from you guys.

Thanks! :cool:

Stratosaurus
09-13-2005, 06:18 AM
I think I heard a flat string or chord that sounded a little out of place in the rythm. Maybe the guitar was out of tune I don't know.

Otherwise, it sounds great. Nice and laid back. Could be the intro and/or outro of a rock tune. Or just a soft rock thing all by itself.

live
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi JailHouseRock!
For an improvisation it's not that bad. But I'd look for a more interesting chord progression... it's some progression you heard very often... Don't want to shock you or something, if you like it: keep it on and expand on it...

Greeeeeetz
live
________
Wwww.****tube.Com (http://www.****tube.com/)

UKRuss
09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Sings:

"Blue Moon, you saw me standing alooooneee":D

Yeah, it's a blue moon progression for me, but that's neither here nor there really as it's your improv we wanna assess.

Now, I always find it strange as hell when someone obviously has good technique and good phrasing, bends and some vibrato in there but cannot hear when the guitar is out of tune. It was. Please tell me you knew that?

Ignoring that though, I have to say i thought it was a nice exploration of a major key, some nice ideas, kept it simple, nice resolution, no problem. Nice.

It is a massive problem I have with the major scale in it's pure Ionian form though is it just sounds twee, too bloody twee all the time. not your fault, but i rarely here anything in pure major key that doesnt sound anything more than a teen movie ending ( as someone on IBM once said about an Ionian piece i did). he was right.

Good playing all round though, good technique, good improv!

...just sort out that ear with the tuning dude!:D

JailHouseRock
09-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Stratosaurus, Live, UkRuss; thank you for spending your time to listen and comment it. I appreciate that.

When I play it, I didn't noticed that the chord progression was quite popular.
I hear it often in my head , it sounds good too me. So I figure it out and play it on guitar. My friend once said that it sounds like an old 50's pop song. Blue moon, maybe.

The scariest thing is that..... I didn't notice it was out of tune!! :eek: http://www.smileys.ws/sm/confused/00000010.gif
I remember posting 2 clips of mine a while ago and it was also out of tune!!!
God help me..

Stratosaurus
09-15-2005, 03:54 AM
It took me a surprisingly long time to get to where I could hear when my guitar was even a little bit out of tune. About two years into playing, actually.

Now I can hear it off as little as 2hz it seems. (A string in perfect tune is 440hz. A step flat is 430 I believe.) I don't know how to help you but you'll get it eventually.

JailHouseRock
09-16-2005, 06:55 AM
I do hope to be able to hear when my guitar a lil bit out of tune.
What did you do to be able to reach that level, Stratosaurus?

Stratosaurus
09-16-2005, 07:07 AM
The best advice given to me by only guitar teacher I ever had is to stop tuning with a tuner. Get the sound of a perfectly tuned lower E string stuck in your head. Then every time you need to tune, set the low E to the sound in your head, then tune the rest of the strings from there using the 5th fret tuning method that everyone should know. Pay really close attention to if the string you are tuning is flat or sharp compared to the previous string. If you are unsure if it's flat, move it a little sharp. If it sounds sharp, turn the tuner flat and bring it back up to the middle. I hope you know what I mean.

Then check your work with your tuner. If it's off, tune the low E using the tuner and tune the rest of the string by ear again. Repeat as necessary. Over time you shouldn't even need your tuner.

Hope that helps. If you need me to explain it better let me know.

Edit: If hearing the low E in your head doesn't work. Try humming it.

JailHouseRock
09-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks Strat. The hardest part would be to remember the low E sound.
I'll give it a try.

dusura
09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks Strat. The hardest part would be to remember the low E sound.
I'll give it a try.

I would recommend a tuning fork. A lot more accurate than trying to remember low-E for most folks.

"Use the fork, Luke!"

You had some nice ideas in yr solo but I was a bit put off by the out of tune chords. On the solo I recommend less vibrato and to work on yr bends as they weren't accurate enough - you have to really nail the note yr bending too. Also, you should avoid vibrato when bending 'til your bending accuracy improves.

Another piece of advice I would give is change yr strings regularly. Old strings will never sound in tune.

Bande
09-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi JailHouse!!

Hey, I really liked this one, sounded pretty sweet!
Althought the progression (I-VI-IV-V if im not mistaken) is really pretty popular,
but you might not want to change the progression, but let's say turn the I chord into an Iadd9, the IV chord into an IVmaj7, and the V into a V6, or a V7. Maybe you could also arpeggiate them - and voila! It will sound better (in my opinion) and you no longer have the popular feeling (at least not THAT much)

But hey I really liked what you played over it! Good licks and melodies!

JailHouseRock
09-20-2005, 04:14 AM
Dusura and Bande, thanks for your comment.

Hey, that's a good idea to add 9,6 and 7th to the chords.
I'd like to try that approach but I need to polish my theory a lil' bit.
Thanks again! :)

Bande
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Yeah. Also try to add the 11th to the chord. Or maybe more at a time. Eg. I like the sound of a major add9add11 (if that's the correct name?)!

KirkLorange
09-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I think you should feel good about it, JHR. What I heard (despite the out of tune strings) was someone striving to create MELODY. There seems to be a deliberate seeking out of a melodic thread, which of course is what music is all about. Mindless meandering through scales is not improvisation, it's just scales; there has to be some evidence of a melody coming through, which is what I heard from you, even if it was over a fairly well used progression. Keep seeking out that elusive melody, JHR.

Kirk

JailHouseRock
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the comment Kirk!! :)
I've been playing a scale sounding solo/improv a lot before this.
Breaking out of the box takes a lot of time for me.
That's what I strive for. To create melody out of the scales.

KirkLorange
09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Try also creating melody out of chords. I stopped thinking scales decades ago when I discovered that thinking chords was much more ... appropriate. Chords define the context much better than scales, to me anyway.