PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to let them down....

Lowthorpe
07-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I have a little problem here. A few months ago, I joined a local band as a lead guitarist. Mainly rock type stuff, I thought it was perfect for me really. The band had already had it's members sorted apart from singer when I joined, so I got all the stories about how much of a **** their last lead guitarist was, who left them after a little while of gigging and stuff. Well now we've played a couple of gigs, and I'm starting to have second thoughts. I've always listened and been into playing blues, and I'm losing enjoyment in playing the more 'rocky-style' solos. Sure, I could always play a little more bluesy but thats not the point. In general, I would rather leave the band and do my own thing with music, and just jam blues with friends rather than be in a band where I don't really enjoy and appreciate what we're doing. Now we have already played a couple of gigs, got some demos recorded from a home studio the drummer has, sent a few off and have a few gigs booked for the future, which creates a problem in that if I leave all that would have to be cancelled or at least until they found another lead guitarist or something. I don't really want to be the one that puts their advancing as a band on hold, though I really do not enjoy playing with them anymore... :(

Any advice?

Nick

sixstrings121
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Tell them that your just not feeling it and that you dont wanna play that kind of music, and that you'd rather go off and do their own thing. Tell them to start looking for a new lead guitarist, but dont just drop out on them yet, wait until they find a replacement.

silent-storm
08-01-2005, 12:59 AM
You gotta give both them and yourself some time. Don't leave them high and dry without a lead guitarist and don't leave yourself without setting up something to do once you leave.

If you don't like it you're going to leave eventually, so it's always best to get out sooner then later.

JailHouseRock
08-01-2005, 03:41 AM
I'd suggest you tell them about it and let them find another lead guitarist. In the meantime, you shall wait until they find a new lead guitarist and of course in a reasonable amount of time.

Solomon
08-27-2005, 07:25 AM
dude, your life is your life, and what you wanna do and feel is right for you, is what it is, you shouldn't go along with this band if its not what you wanna do. Now thats putting your life on hold. I just recently went through an almost identical situation.

i'd say, tell them that you don't want to be part of the band anymore and why not,"nothing personal but i feel this is whats best for me" etc., agree to do the shows that are already scheduled and tell them they need to put further advancement of the band on hold till a replacement is found. hope that helps

good luck, these conversations aren't always easy, i know...