PDA

View Full Version : Scales???

JEM555
01-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey everybody!!!

I`ve been practising scales for a while.....the ionian...dorian....etc...only in three note per string patterns and now im working a bit on making songs.and then i dont like to make em of those three note per string patterns..what do you do when you are improvising or making a song???
..on the net i cant find a source where the scales is shown..not the three note per string patterns...the others ( i dont know what the regular or original ones are called))..do you know a source or could any of you post em??
My question is: should i learn the scales like they supposed to be..not the three note per string.........or is that ok???

Shredmaniac
01-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Well, in my humble opinion, the best you can do is practicing thos "regular" scale fingerings you mention, and then practice them in intervals...That can of course be done with regular three-note-per-string patterns, but the most common application for those patterns is....well, uh, shredding

The "regular" scale fingerings are usually more "vertical" shapes, which do not involve left-hand position shifts like the 3 note per string patterns...The lack of position shifts allows you to visualize the notes on the neck better (at least to me), and makes intervallic playing a little bit easier...So I think your ability to improvise cool sounding phrases will be enhanced by practicing those scales...Try playing a regular major scale in sixths, sevenths, fourths or ninths and you'll probably turn a few heads... It will twist your ears for sure:D

The other important thing is to make sure you're able to blend the different scale patterns between them so that you don't get stuck in one "locked" position...In this respect, don't lose control of your 3-note-per-string patterns...They always come in handy;)

I recently began studying William Leavitt's guitar method, and I must say this is the most amazing book when it comes to scale playing...If you have the guts to re-learn a few things, the first book alone will keep you struggling for months (assuming you do EVERYTHING he asks and forget about tabs :) )

I hope this reply wasn't too boring to you...Heck, I even hope it was useful...This was my first post here, although I'm a long time visitor (I still have the guitar4u articles, Gunhart !!)...

Don't forget to smile while you're playing !!!

Shredmaniac

Shred Fan
01-21-2003, 07:03 AM
I guess it is really a matter of preference, however I think that the "regular" scale patterns are easier for the reasons that shredmaniac mentioned, firstly, the lack of position shifts and easier visuallisation of intervals.

That does not mean that 3 NPS patterns are without any use, they have their uses as well but I prefer the "regular patterns", it would be better to know both though.

On a seperate note, welcome to the forums Shredmaniac, it's great around here and the more people the better I say, so let's keep them posts coming.

Jason7
01-21-2003, 05:31 PM
JEm555,
The best thing you do is get down to basics. Practice your major and minor scales and memorize their structure. Also, take a root and practice playing it's relative major/minor, parallel major/minor
or different modes. For example, play an open A note, and let it drone. Play an a minor scale(A B C D E F G A ) over it. Next, play an A minor arpeggio ( A C E ) then a harmonic minor( A B C D E F G# A) , A major ( A B C# D E F# G# A) A major arpeggio( A C# E)
A lydian (A B C# D# E F# G# A). Also practice playing a major chord followed by a major scale and ditto for a minor. These are just a few rudimentary examples that should help you get the feel of each scale, and eventually get you playing up and down the neck. Don't get stuck playing from position to position, think of the whole neck as one position. Keep shredding!

Shred Fan
01-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Good Point there Jason7, technically the whole neck is one scale position and it is very important to learn the scale in smaller patterns and positions and then being able to link the different patterns to be able to play in Key all over the neck.