PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmic Exercise

Guni
01-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi all,

Here's a little rhythm exercise for you, which switches between different note values, from quarter notes to 16th triplets.

Switch every other bar going through all values up and coming down back again.

Also try different combinations: quarter notes to 8th note triplets and back. Quarter notes to Quintuplets and back, etc ...

Guni

JEM555
01-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Great Guni, i really need to practise more rhytmic exercises!!
could you show me some more??:)

7_stringa
01-18-2003, 04:43 AM
mad dat ****s hard,,,,, yet cool

metallibeast
01-18-2003, 07:14 AM
What's up?

You could try playing scales. Start off by playing the scale in quarter notes than increasing to eighth...so on and so forth without stopping.

-Beast

7_stringa
01-18-2003, 07:58 AM
hey man dont talk 2 me about scales for my level im a scale master

its just de timing like i can play is slowly obvously but den at like a speed of 150 bpm starts gettin pretty damm trciky

7_stringa
01-18-2003, 07:59 AM
ohh it says doo it on 60 bpm

i see

missed dat part
sorry

Guni
01-18-2003, 09:03 AM
The point of this exercise really is to practice this at tempo 60. It's not a technique exercise. You can speed it up later on but at 60 you really got to feel how much more you have to speed up to fit one more note into a given time frame.

With most of my students I don't do the entire thing from the beginning. Even switching from quarter notes to eigth notes has its pitfalls. A big step is then going to triplets, which introduces an entire new feel.

So, take it easy - use a metronome and record your performance. Overall, this will improve your timing bigtime.

Laterz,

Guni

7_stringa
01-18-2003, 10:16 AM
thanx bro

Bizarro
01-19-2003, 03:23 AM
This exercise is quite deceptive. At first glance it seems rather simple, but to play it in perfect meter is a great challenge. It's more mental exercise than dexterity.

This example is great for getting the feel for different timings. The fingerings are very simple and lend themselves to playing on the "one". It gets infinitely more complex when you apply it to improv work. For example, try apply this to some sweeping licks. Uggh!! That's tough!

And as Guni mentions, mix it up and play the groups in different orders. Try going from quintuplets to 8ths to 16th triplets, etc...

Guni, could you post the powertab file for this? I think hearing it would really make a big impact.

Thanks for another intriguing exercise!

Guni
01-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Of course! - I actually forgot to do this.

Thx.