PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Watson Picking Style

szulc
01-17-2003, 03:52 AM
I have been experimenting with using the Jeff Watson method of picking. This is where you hold the pick between the thumb and first two fingers, almost like holding a pencil. The pick is then about 90 degrees off from the GIT method. I have found this to be more comfortable than the other method and the pick is held more stable it is also easier for me to pick faster using this method, than the GIT method especially un-anchored. This is very similar to the Geroge Benson Style in the Tuck Andress article. You can also use rotation with this method easily. Has anyone else tried this technique?

7_stringa
01-18-2003, 04:45 AM
just tried it

man i rekon dat pics like ****

but hey every1 has their own way

szulc
01-18-2003, 11:18 AM
what?

7_stringa
01-19-2003, 12:08 AM
i just tried the jess watson style (holding the pic like a pencil)

yeah if u ask me its pretty crap
the normal way is alot betta i reokn

NMucci
04-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Hello,
Everyone has there own picking style.
Alot of players hold the pick like this, you just have to train yourself to play this way.

d7th
04-09-2003, 06:58 AM
I think this method is easier when u play unanchored, and especially when u want to play fast.
I don't play often like this but sometimes... It changes the habbit.
It can't be a bad technique anyway as Van Halen use it :)

klaus
04-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Hello,

I changed my picking style to the George Benson Style a half year ago, and now I use the normal (GIT) Style only for playing chords.
At the beginning it was hard work to get used to it, but now i can play much faster as before. With the normal style I couldn't hold the pick tight enough, and so the pick was moving around to much. At higher speed the pick got caught between the strings.
Now I'm working on playing chords with the George Benson Style.
It seems to be more difficult for me, but it's getting better.
I'm only using the thumb and one finger to hold the pick, and it's easier for me to use a pick with a sharp edge.
The only disadvantage of my new picking style is, that I cannot
use pick and fingers at the same time.

Greetings from Germany

Klaus