If a song ask you to play something like this:

E---------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------
D------------2-----2-----2-----2-------------
G---------------------------------------------
B------------3-----3-----3-----3-------------
e---------------------------------------------

**Just randonmly made this up**

Do you MUTE the "G" by placing an idle finger slightly on the string? Do you typically PLUCK the strings?

Ultimately what I want to know is if this is a rock song, and you are playing with a pick, what technique would you use to play the "B" and "D" and not the "G" in the middle?

-Justin

sixstrings121
06-24-2005, 04:15 PM
In a rock context, I would either mute it with my middle or first finger (while its fretting the notes). Just make the flesh of your first finger, or the tip of your second finger rest on the G string. Or, I would hybrid pick it. pluck the 2 on D string with the pick, and use your middle finger (or you could use ring or pinky, whichevers confortable to you) to pluck the B string.

DemonSorcerer
06-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Ultimately what I want to know is if this is a rock song, and you are playing with a pick, what technique would you use to play the "B" and "D" and not the "G" in the middle?

-Justin

I'd try hybrid picking...that's what works for me.

David

oRg
06-26-2005, 03:21 AM
For that lick I would hybrid pick, but normally it all depends on the licks or phrase. Usually legato licks I hybrid pick while with AP string skipping I obviously mute with my fingers. I think it's good to mute the string anyways when hybrid picking to help prevent and avoid nuances in your playing.