PDA

View Full Version : Sweet georgia brown lead played with chords

screed
06-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to play the lead of Sweet Georgia Brown with chords instead of the normal single note lead.I had a friend years ago who's music teacher got him to play this as an exercise and it sounded fairly impressive.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

silent-storm
06-24-2005, 05:34 AM
just take the lead notes and add other notes underneith.

In an Ab version of Sweet Georgia Brown the melody starts on F and the first chord is F7. So play an F7 chord with the F in the melody. The next note is G, so play an F7 with a G in the melody. Of course you don't have to play a chord for each melody note, but make sure you hit the important ones, like altered notes in the melody and when the chords change. You can voice these chords however you want to, but adding 3rds and 7ths underneith and maybe a root in the bass is a good place to start in order to really hear the chord progression. Sweet Georgia Brown is a good starting point because the progression is so simple. The F7 lasts for 4 bars, then changes to Bb7 for 4 bars, then Eb7 for 4 bars, etc etc I'm sure you know the progression.

Remember, solo guitar is probably the hardest aspect of this instrument. Everything is exposed.

screed
06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks for the help.It sounds OK although I'm not the best guitar player on the block.