PDA

View Full Version : Im a guitar player that wants to learn piano

GuitarSoul24
06-21-2005, 06:50 PM
I've been playing guitar for about a 1 and a half, Ive learned tons of music theory from intervals, modes, inversions, scales, etc. I play mostly rock, blues, funk, metal, and im getting into some jazz. I've really broden my musical taste, theres this one guy in our neighborhood that plays the piano and it inspires me so much. The piano to me seems to relaxing and comfortable, the guitar has so many physical aspects to it like developing good vibrato, phrasing, technique, speed,etc. I've done that through tons of practice, the guy taught me a song on the piano, i don't what its called but it sounds good and I learned it in about 2 days, something i would have never learned on guitar that fast when I first started. Guitar will be my first love but I want to play piano on the side because it is so much easier to learn songs and develop a better ear and more ideas due to its chord and lead acessibility at the same time which the guitar doesn't have. So is it necessary to take lessons or could I just get some books that teach me. Recommend me some beginner books, I know a lot of music theory so I just have to translate it to tthe piano. I want to learn some blues and jazzy stuff first. Thanks.

theox
06-21-2005, 09:33 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side.. :cool:

Check out The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine, tons of great stuff in there.