PDA

View Full Version : clips from Eric V

leo
06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Hello! I went to Eric Vandenbergs site to listen to some of his sound clips.
But i was very dissapointed :( The fast licks very pretty good, but his phrasing and vibrato was kinda bad when he played slow things.
Whats ur opinion guys?

Danster
06-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Hello! I went to Eric Vandenbergs site to listen to some of his sound clips.
But i was very dissapointed :( The fast licks very pretty good, but his phrasing and vibrato was kinda bad when he played slow things.
Whats ur opinion guys?

My opinion is you'd better duck.

jptk
06-09-2005, 11:44 PM
My opinion is you'd better duck.

agreed!

EricV
06-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Leo,

I am sorry you didnīt like it. I am surprised that you dislike the slower parts and my phrasing, but consider the fast parts cool, as I always thought that the slower, more melodic parts and phrasing elements were what I am ok at, while the fast parts are not that amazing compared to many other players. I respect your opinion, and Iīd like to suggest a few players that prolly will not disappoint you as much.
Those are the guys I love to listen to, and will always look up to, and I am sure will like them way better. Donīt waste your time checking up on my stuff, listen to them instead

( I am gonna leave out the obvious choices such as Jeff Beck and Satriani etc. )
Buckethead - Colma and Electric Tears
Eric Johnson - Tones, Ah Via Musicom or Venus Isle
Thosten Koehne - His upcoming album should be amazing
Steve Morse - High Tension WIres and The Introduction
Andy Timmons - "That Was Then, This Is Now" is a good place to start
Marcel Coenen - "Guitar Talk"
Brett Garsed - "Big Sky"

Eric

btangel
06-10-2005, 04:49 AM
Hmm I really like Eric's stuff. Rider's High (I think was the name) was one of my favorite tracks on his page. Music is hard to judge afterall. Everyone has their own opinion. Hey man I know people that hate Steve Vai's music hahah.

Andy Timmons is definately one of my favorite rock guitarists. My first taste of AT was when I saw the ibanez 90th anniversary concert featuring PG, AT and S Vai. Before this PG and Vai were 2 of my biggest influences in guitar, but in this concert Timmons was the one that really really stood out for me. His stuff was so jaw droppingly beautiful I got that CD Eriv V. mentioned. I could listen to that album from beginning to end over and over again. :D

leo
06-10-2005, 02:13 PM
You must not misunderstand me here Eric. I just thought that your playing was a little dissapoinment to me, after reading all your fantastic articles!
They are really great man! But you are a studio musician right? I just thought your playing was gonna be very good, with phrasing and vibrato in the top-class.

And I do have that Andy Timmons album :) Fantastic!

EricV
06-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Well, I guess then that means I am better at writing than I am at phrasing or vibrato =)
I never said I consider myself "top class", not as long as guys like Timmons, Satriani, Lukather etc. walk this earth.
Thanks for checking it out anyway
Eric

debaser
06-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Leo- This is really unnecessary. Of course everyone has/is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean anyone else wants to hear it. Why put this kind of negativity out there? How about posting some clips for us to critique? Maybe we could all benefit from your superior phrasing.

I have to say Eric, that it's to your credit that you can receive this kind of bs with so much grace.

EricV
06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks. What else can I do. I donīt walk around and say "I am a great player". I put my music onto my site for people who would like to check it out, and a lot of them ( and I am happy that there are a lot non-musicians among those ) seem to like them.
I am aware that many do not, and I respect their opinion. Thatīs why I always mention the players I admire, so people who do not like my music or playing can check out something by the real masters, and hopefully like that.
Thanks
Eric

mattblack850
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I also think that it's to your credit Eric!!! It proves that humility still exists and is one of the better traits, especially in a teacher!!;)

gersdal
06-10-2005, 06:55 PM
You must not misunderstand me here Eric. I just thought that your playing was a little dissapoinment to me, after reading all your fantastic articles! They are really great man! And I do have that Andy Timmons album :) Fantastic!
In Norway we would start singing "Row, row, row your boat.." after this back-stepping statement :D

FredrikD
06-10-2005, 08:34 PM
At least threads like this one more or less forces everyone to check out Erics stuff. :)

I think it sounds great but it's not the kind of music I'm into.

EricV
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I respect that as well, Fredrik. Thanks for checking it out.
Thanks everyone else.
And regarding humility... LOL, I hang our with guys like Thorsten K, and had a chance to jam with Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, Brett Garsed, Scott Henderson and others.
If that doesnt humble you, nothing will. Those guys are amazing, and I didnīt expect anyone to think I was even close to what they do.
Thanks anyway
Eric

gersdal
06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Eric, What's the problem with your website. Decided to check out the clips, and just got:

error 500: Interner Serverfehler
Das angegebene Skript konnte nicht fehlerfrei ausgeführt werden!

My German s***, but I guess this is not good news.

Thorsten
06-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Yo Eric, thanks for the plug!

Iīm still in shock about that 8 year old playing "Frenzy". All my years of practice are just wasted... ;) (j.k.)

Eric, you rock! See you soon...

EricV
06-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Yo I dont know. I just checked and the site works fine here...maybe a temporary problem.

Thorsten, hope we get to jam again soon.
Eric

gersdal
06-10-2005, 10:42 PM
On my third go, it worked just fine. Don't know what happend earlier. Listened to the sound clips. I'm a jazz freak that is mostly listening to music from late 50ties and early 60ties at the moment. Still this sounds very nice and well palyed. Thanks to Danster for bringing this to my attention, though.

EricV
06-10-2005, 10:46 PM
gotta have the guy who did the site or the host look into it, thanks for letting me know. Glad you liked the tracks, thanks so much ( to Danster also ! ) for taking the time to check it out
Eric

Danster
06-10-2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure what I'm getting thanked for gersdal and Eric, but hey, I'll take it! :D

gersdal
06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Hmmm, my bad. I guess Leo was the one who started this thread and the one I had in mind :rolleyes: . Sorry Danster, but you don't mind an extra thank you, do you? :D

forgottenking2
06-11-2005, 01:37 AM
I missed the fight (Damn it!! :p ) But I'll still say what I was going to: I've been playing for about 8 years now and I am nowhere near Eric's level of playing (or teaching skills... that's right man, Eric kicks my butt in both areas). If you are gonna get on here and compare someone's playing to those of the masters (Steve Morse, Eric Johnson, Rubben Ford, Phil Caigy <sp?> and some of the other greats out there) everyone is gonna look like "a disapointment" (I know I would for sure). I personally like Eric's stuff, I think his sense of melody is great (way beyond what I can do right now) and his technique is great.

And I really think it's great the way Eric took those rather negative comments... I would've gotten pissed to be honest :D (I know, I need to mature more and continue in the ways of the Shinobi :p ) .

One more thing. The fact that Eric (and other musicians I know) was out there doing his thing and making a living out of it is what has inspired me to pursue the same route.

It's not just Eric's chops what has earned him the respect and appreciation from IBMers. It's all of the above and the fact that he is an inspiration for many of us.

Rock on Eric. I salute you.

:D (I had to say that)

Seriously man, you rock!

UKRuss
06-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I'd sell my soul for Eric's vibrato and phrasing.

Is this guy sure he's listening to the right Eric V?

Maybe there's another EricV type clone out there whose just not as good and he's trying to pretend to be the real EricV...I mean I know there's nothing wrong with my ears and to me Erics playing is err, well whats the best phrase...pick words carefully...ah yes.

Effing awesome!:D

Not that this has anything to do with his technique, but the reailty is he's a top bloke as well and for me that means he's a doubly rare kind of guy. He's a genuine person and a top guitarist, double points from me.

About the "Row row row your boat" Gersdal, i just wanted to point out that it is only the scandinavians that prolly understand what you mean becasue as the rest of the world knows, you are all actually completely mad.;)

CaptainCarma
06-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Iīve had the chance to watch eric play for several times now, and have to say...
he definatly rocks!!!

gersdal
06-11-2005, 12:01 PM
i just wanted to point out that it is only the scandinavians that prolly understand what you mean becasue as the rest of the world knows, you are all actually completely mad.;)Hey,hey, hey. That's supposed to be a well kept secret :D

EDIT:
Checking a little, "Treading water" is the english equivalent for the Norwegian rowing. Guess it has to do with us being used to be above water, not in the water :p

Bande
06-11-2005, 12:02 PM
leo!

In my opinion you shouldn't really say bad things about anybody, because this forum is not about this. I understand that you didn't mean to hurt Eric or anybody else at all, but would you be happy if somebody said: "Um, guys, I was really surprised by this leo guy cause he talks really much but doesn't even know how to fret a note"? (Of course, a bit of exaggerating here)

Anyway, Eric is right, because he didn't tell anyone that he was a world class player, he never said anything about his own playing. You would be right to say such things about him if he was running around the streets shouting "I am the best guitarist in the whole world".

My band has a homepage too, and it has a forum. We are beginners yet, so we are not very good musicians, but everybody who writes on our forum knows what to compare us with. Of course they don't write things like: Um, guys I was really disappointed when listening to your records, IMO Dream Theater's new album was better. NO! They only write criticism about us that measures our music to other beginner bands like us!

leo, again, I didn't want to harm you or anyone else, I'm just writing my thoughts here, I don't wanna flame.

EricV
06-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Russ, I think you can keep your soul, as I do like your vibrato and phrasing !

As I said, there is nothign I can do. Thereīll always be people who like my music and playing, and some who donīt, and thatīs true for everyone I guess.
I thank you guys for your comments.
And I can tell you already that Leo actually staid pretty civil when he commented on my playing. There are a lot of people who seem to like wording it way differently... way worse.I am not the only one who has that happening, I think most players to make their music public experience that.
To be quite honest, I sometimes wish ( and this approach I share with Rusty Cooley, whom I have heard comment on stuff like that ) if people who dislike it would just go "OK, donīt like it, so I wonīt come to this site anymore and wonīt waste my time with the song", instead of trying to be as insulting as possible.
And no, I am not at all referring to Leo, as he didnīt say it in a mean way.
But then again, I guess thatīs the prize you pay when you decide to share your music. I have gotten some feedback that made me really happy, and others that didnīt exactly make me happy. I guess thatīs what I and others have to deal with, and so far, I have been able to, just like others.
Would be boring if everyone liked my stuff, wouldnīt it ? =)
Thanks, guys
Eric

UKRuss
06-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Russ, I think you can keep your soul, as I do like your vibrato and phrasing Eric

Phew!

I thought someone had stolen it today though, my playing practice this afternoon was dire!

Gersdal,no we have "row row row the boat" too...but myabe your context was more where we would say somethign like..."I'll get me coat":D

EricV
06-11-2005, 06:43 PM
And just to add a random bit of information no one cares about,when I started to teach myself programming in Basic on the goold olī C64 many years ago, "Row Row Row..." was the first piece of music I was able to have the computer play back.
Gotta love those monophon computer sounds...

10 Print "Hello"
20 Goto 10
run
( anyone remember that ? We were so proud )

Eric

forgottenking2
06-11-2005, 07:17 PM
LOL I did that too!!! Basic rules... too bad it's outdated.

ncook
06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
...but his phrasing and vibrato was kinda bad when he played slow things.
Whats ur opinion guys?
:confused: there's no pleasing some people

gersdal
06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Print "Hello"
20 Goto 10
run
( anyone remember that ? We were so proud )

EricMmmmmm, the C64 generation experience a great moment of flashback :D .

Caffeinated Cat
06-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Like somebody said, this thread at least gets everybody to listen to Eric's playing and, well, I just ordered your CD. That's the best stuff I've heard in about a decade. I love that kind of music.

How anybody could criticize your vibrato and phrasing just seems nutty to me.

EricV
06-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Wow, thanks so much for that comment !
Question though: did you order the CD- or the download-version ? Because the CD version is not available anymore ( we put a message about that on the front page, even though the guy who hosts the site didnt take the CD out of the order form yet )
So I am afraid that you might have to change to the download version ( and burn it onto a CD R or keep it on your PC for listening ), or wait until new copies of the CD are available, and I am not sure when that is gonna be... if youīd like the dl-version, please just send me an email and weīll work something out =)
Thanks so much for your comments and your interest in my music !
Eric

NP: Eric J. - Ah Via Musicom

Caffeinated Cat
06-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi Eric, I ordered the CD version, but the downloadable version will be fine. I'll e-mail you.

I loved the stuff you did on those strickly threads, I don't know why I didn't check out your stuff earlier!

Bizarro
06-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Not that it matters, but I think EricV's "slow" playing is very good. I don't consider Eric a shredder, he's more of a songwriter IMO. But he's also a very competent guitar player.

madisgp
06-12-2005, 06:14 PM
At the risk of this becoming an Eric V. love fest, I gotta tell ya I listened and liked very much. I'm a 51 yr old blues/clasic rock kind of guy but Eric's playing really is fantastic. I listened to "What is to Burn" and I thought it just "flowed" from one phrase to another. I was blown away. My guitar heros are not the really fast shred type guys although I do respect the practice and dedication it takes to reach that level. Seems to me that Eric has combined the fantistic melodys and tone of those classic rockers with the speed and technique of the shred guys. It's a fantastic style that I enjoyed very much.

As for critizing someones playing.... unless you're his teacher you really shouldn't say bad things about ANYBODY'S playing. As my mother used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

steve0192
06-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Well Eric, I hope this thead is causing people to check out your site.

I just downloaded the video "Canyon Of Spirits" from your site. Frankly I thought it was a damn good piece of music, extremely well played, and live as well!

You'll hear no criticism from me.

Regards

Steve

Buebo
06-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Man just listened to your interpretation of "What is to Burn" again since like a year or something. And it is truly a display of great musicianship and control over the instrument. Some parts kinda reminded me of Rules of the Game by Shawn Lane. I'll take the time to listen to more of your stuff. Thanks for the music!

Greets, Buebo.

EricV
06-12-2005, 10:45 PM
OMG, guys, thanks =)
That truely feels good, and thanks for checking out my stuff. I never thought of a resemblance to Shawn Lane ( he was truely amazing, and I love ROTG ), but if you feel that way, I am all the more flattered.
Since people seem to like WITB a lot, I prolly should stop polishing songs and instead just gor first takes, as this track took an hour to complete ( this includes programming drums )
Anyway... thanks so much, everyone, it means a lot !
Warm regards
Eric

Len H
06-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Eric, I listened to a couple of your clips, and I have to say that I was very impressed. You have a very smooth sound that at times reminds me somewhat of Eric Johnson. I also hear the Morse and Satch influences too, but it comes across as original. As for others criticizing anyone else's playing, I would ask that they be more descriptive of what it is they don't like. So rather than stating that they don't like the vibrato, what is it that you object to? Too narrow? Too fast? Too slow?

Caffeinated Cat
06-13-2005, 01:39 AM
I just finished downloading Eric's album, Hidden Creek. There's about six of us here, we went river rafting today (we're all lobster people now), came home, started drinking a few (more) beers and I put Eric's stuff on. Everybody's just floored by it. Comments like "That's just sooooo beautiful" are repeated over and over and over. I mean, this stuff is so incredibly emotional, so accessible, so heavenly to listen to on a hot Sunday night.

Thanks Eric. You're an incredible musician. You take communication between artist and audience and raise it to new, higher levels.

Don't get embarassed - you've earned the compliments!

EricV
06-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Thank you so much. I am so very glad you and your friends liked the songs, and I thank you for your comments and for letting me know.
I would have loved to see that setting there, but I think I can imagine from what you described, and it means a lot.
So thanks so much, and I am still embarrassed... or at least flattered =)
Eric

Jackie
06-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm not a musician, so I can't listen to your music and pick out specific things about it that i like or don't like. All I can say is that your music sounds awesome to my ears and I smile when I listen to it.

Lightning_Lead
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Buebo:

Man just listened to your interpretation of "What is to Burn" again since like a year or something. And it is truly a display of great musicianship and control over the instrument.

Agree, remember listening to that when it was posted on the forums, nice stuff. Haven't heard every song on his page but I really like the cover of Vane Disclosure by Ricky Garcia (didn't he use to hang out at the forums?..)

EricV
06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks again !
Jackie, I always hope that my music appeals to everyone, whether itīs a musician or a non-musician. Thanks for your kind words

Lightnign Lead... yes, Ricky used to hang out here and on other forums, but I heard he is trying to stay away from it a bit. These things can eat up a lot of your time ( look at my post count and then ask me how I know =) )
Thanks so much
Eric

Skyport
06-13-2005, 10:12 PM

And I'm Ritchie Kotzen.

mattyvegas43
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Its all a matter of opinion- Maybe you don't like his phrasing and vibrato, but hes writing great songs.