PDA

View Full Version : Table of Note Choice: Scales, arpeggios, triads for every chord!

misery
06-05-2005, 12:20 PM
I've been working on this for months now. A table of what scales, arpeggios and triads to play over different chords commonly found in jazz and fusion. The information is gathered from various sources: Scott Henderson's video Jazz Fusion, the book Guitar Lessons With The Greats, John Scofield's video On Improvisation, the tables from Scott Lerner's website, other websites and a little research on my own. Here it is:

http://teinum.no/alexander/Note_Choice.pdf

This table uses parallel thinking.

Example: To play in lydian over a C major chord

On the right of the Cmaj7 column it says 5, which is from where you want to play the major scale. The fifth degree of the C major scale is C D E F ...yup... G. This means that you should play G major over the C major chord. So don't get confused by paralell thinking and deriving from a major scale. You're moving the major scale itself around, not starting at another degree inside the major scale of the chord.

Other useful goodies

I've also made a table of the major harmony and the melodic minor harmony. The major harmony table follows the circle of fifths, and also functions as a circle of fifths. Far on the left you can see how many #'s and b's there are in the different keys. The melodic minor table follows the same order of keys to look more familiar.

The tables includes the different chords of the scale, extensions and modes, which can be useful. To find the paralell minor of a major chord, F# major for instance, look F# major up in the table and you've got E# at the sixth degree.

http://teinum.no/alexander/Major_Harmony.pdf
http://teinum.no/alexander/Melodic_Minor_Harmony.pdf

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve these tables.

flathead
06-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I literally was just about to do the same thing for myself with the info from the Scott Henderson video. (great videos, both of them). Saved me some time

Poparad
06-05-2005, 04:34 PM
The first box should read: C major, C lydian, C lydian b2 if you're going for a parallel approach.

G lydian does not go with Cmaj7. G lydian is spelled G A B C# D E F# G. I think you're thinking of it as the lydian mode of G, which would be C lydian (C D E F# G A B C).

Same goes for the rest of the boxes.

misery
06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
It is correct as it is.

You should read "G Major - 5" as G major. G major = C lydian.

But it might be misleading to write lydian below, so I think I will change it to something like this (just for the major scale part of the table):

G Major - 5
Lydian

Mateo150
06-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I looked at the list, you have G lydian as a choice for Cmaj7. This should read G major. I you were using G lydian, you would have, G, A, B, C#, D, E, F# and this is not the effect your going for I think. Maybe it was a simple typo? Or maybe your reading across the boxes?

Its not very well organized, nice work, but write something like G 5 = Lydian. I personally would rather just write it as G major = C lydian if I were makeing something like this. Perhaps you could post the excel file so we can tinker to our likings. I have a real sloppy list or pluralities listed on lined white paper, real scribbly.

Ok, i see how you wrote it now. I think indicating the scale position, such as G5 isn't needed. If you need a chart to tell you that the 5th of C is G... well, may be more important things to work on before all this.

But great job, if you fix it or just post it in excel form so I can change it, I'd definetly use it a lot.

misery
06-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Should I change it into something like this?

http://teinum.no/alexander/Scales_Spelled_Out.pdf

That would clear up all the confusion, but it would look more messy. Perhaps I should make two different versions of the table.

misery
06-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I think indicating the scale position, such as G5 isn't needed. If you need a chart to tell you that the 5th of C is G... well, may be more important things to work on before all this.
That's a very good idea. C was used as an example throughout the Scott Henderson video, but in this context it's probably just confusing, and only helpful for playing over C chords.

I'm not too keen on posting the Excel version. I could mail it to you personally, but I don't want it "out there".

Mateo150
06-05-2005, 05:07 PM
it makes more sense to someone looking at it for the first time. Except the numbers aren't needed and seem a bit confusing at first sight (they did to me). Its your chart, make it how you want. But if you want to distribute it:

In the left column of each chord, write the scale. In the right hand column, remove the numbers, you shouldn't need this. Write the equivalent "mode"

ex.:

Gmajor (vertical line) C lydian
Dmajor (vert. line ) C lydian
(vert. line) b2 tonality
Cmajor (vert. line) Cmajor

thats how most people read I believe.

misery
06-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't think it's very useful to use a certain key as an example, or to not write any intervals on the right. I would rather just have the interval. Makes it a lot easier to use for any key.

theox
06-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Check out http://www.chrisjuergensen.com/improvisation%20guide.htm

misery
06-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Cool, thanks!