PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pitch? How to get it? What's the big secret?

SolitaryShell
06-04-2005, 04:54 PM
What shall I do to obtain perfect pitch?

Will "earope" help me attain it?

Los Boleros
06-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Get different Genes.

silent-storm
06-04-2005, 06:12 PM
this is the only thing that gets talked about in the ear training section.

I'm sure you can find some useful info yourself.

dusura
06-05-2005, 07:46 AM
this is the only thing that gets talked about in the ear training section.

I'm sure you can find some useful info yourself.

Agreed. I'm sick of hearing about the marginal topic of perfect pitch in this forum. I would like to hear more discussion of mainstream ear training skills. More tried-and-true methods.

You need to think hard about whether you really need perfect pitch to achieve your musical goals. There's not alot of evidence that it's possible to learn it. But there's plenty of evidence that relative pitch skills can be developed to a high degree and are very useful in most musical situations.

Start working with the ear that you have now and over time it will improve. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "if I can only get perfect pitch then I can be a great musician".

I think the excessive interest in perfect pitch amongst some musicians is borne out of a misconception that if you know what all the notes are then you know everything there is to know about a piece of music. The fact that a given note in a piece is a C# or A or whatever is NOT the most important fact about that note. What is most important is how that note is functioning in the music - is it "tension" or "release"? Is it maybe the tonic or part of the V chord in a II V I progression? What is the "feel" of the note.

silent-storm
06-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Well I'm living proof that perfect pitch can be learned.

That being said I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is more of a party trick then something that has real musical value.

I totally agree that everything always comes back to it's relative pitch function.

fortymile
06-06-2005, 04:46 AM
i think relative pitch is actually a more useful skill since it forces you to process the harmonic structure in terms of intervals. perfect pitch is like 'eyesight.' anyone can directly observe/perceive the image of a cottage in the woods. but who can paint it? the ones who've developed the relative skills. relationships between lines, angles, etc.

theox
06-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Will "earope" help me attain it?

Earope will help you develop relative pitch, which is much more important.

SolitaryShell
06-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Ok. Perfect or Relative pitch? I'd really would like to have any of these skills. I want to have any of these very much.

However, I agree with "dusura", that I don't gotta have those to be a great musician. In fact, I have composed some things that I LOVE and ADORE, that really make me proud of myself (or at least I really dig what I've composed, even it there is only 12 bars of it).

It's just is annoying to hear some stuff or notes, and say, damn that is the chord which this others songs start, or this note I know which is it and can go to my guitar directly and play it, or this song kinda has the same mode or tonality relation feel as this other. But to never be able to say it by name, is kinda annoying.

I'm also now trying this program "Functional ear trainer", which plays me random notes and I gotta say which is it. I want to remember the sound of the note and actually name it. So when I hear a C, I say it's a C!

Thanks for the input guys.

Los Boleros
06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
However, I agree with "dusura", that I don't gotta have those to be a great musician. Relative pitch is a great asset. No doubt it will make you a better musician. So it really depends what you think a great musician is. If you are already a great musician, then you don't really need anything. Most of us are not happy with the level that we are at. I don't believe you really need a fancy program to improve your relative pitch. All you need is an instrument and dedication. Singing your scales is a good start. Hitting a note on the instrument and singing the scale as 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 will help you to know what the third sounds like, as well as the fifth and all the other intervals as well. This should be done with as many notes as is vocally possible and it should be done with major and minor scales.

SolitaryShell
06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I agee with you "Los Boleros" (I've never read of a nickname that was written in plural).

At college we have this class where we have rythm exercises, and melodic ones as well.

But I believe the keyword here is "dedication".

Be well.

Los Boleros
06-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I agee with you "Los Boleros" (I've never read of a nickname that was written in plural).
.Los Boleros is the name of My afro-Cuban group. (For which I am the Manager and promoter) Using it as my name help promote our business because it helpd make us more internet searchable.

Los means the "The"
Boleros is a style of romantic latin music.
Los Boleros kinda means like, "Those Bolero Playing dudes"

SolitaryShell
06-07-2005, 02:36 AM
:) Yeah, I know. I mean, I didn't know about your band.
I know Los means "The", etc. My mother language is spanish. That's how I realized your nickname was in plural.

Saludos! ;)

MattW
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
In case anyone didn't realise, click on the link in Los B's sig for more info on the band!;)

mattblack850
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Los means the "The"

Isn't 'Bolero' ....1) A type of Jacket??
2) A piece of music by Ravel??

And hey, Rudy, why not just call yourselves 'The Bolero Playing Dudes'????:D ;)
You could have toured with 'The Flying Burito Brothers'!!!!!:p :p

Los Boleros
06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
'The Flying Burito Brothers'!!!!!:p :pBurritos and Romance don't go well together.

forgottenking2
06-08-2005, 02:38 PM
LOL we won't even go there... :p

curiousgeorge
06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Los Boleros is the name of My afro-Cuban group. (For which I am the Manager and promoter) Using it as my name help promote our business because it helpd make us more internet searchable.

Los means the "The"

Just wondering, are you the guy from Chips?(80's cops on bikes show) :D

MattW
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Well I'm living proof that perfect pitch can be learned.

That being said I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is more of a party trick then something that has real musical value.

I totally agree that everything always comes back to it's relative pitch function.

What did you do to learn it?
(I would search the forum, but I'm wasting enough valuable revision time as it is;))

silent-storm
06-10-2005, 02:20 AM
What did you do to learn it?
(I would search the forum, but I'm wasting enough valuable revision time as it is;))

I wish these threads would just die...I mean I see where the fascination comes from, I've had before too...but there is a lot of unecessary emphasis put on this.

I've posted this a number of times, but what's one more explanation,

I got the davis lucas burge program and started working through it. I quickly came to the conclusion that it is absolutely useless unless you have someone to test you on a regular basis. Reason being that every test could be narrowed down through muscle memory to within a tone or so, leaving blind guess work a way to generate quite a number of correct answers. I had someone to test me and I got through about 12 of those lessons and was starting to get frustrated because they were all in C major. I listened to most of the rest of the program and realized all the sharps and flats didn't come into play until far too long down the road. So, I started doing my own thing with all 12 notes and that's where I am today.

I'm nowhere near complete, but I'd say I'm 50% of the way there on my guitar and piano. I know what all the individual notes sound like and pick them out of thin air, but it's just getting to the point where I CAN'T get it wrong, rather then getting it right 90% of the time...then there's the whole issue of hearing everything perfectly in your head...tack on another year probably for that...all other instruments, even other piano's and guitars, still pose serious problems...but it all just takes time.

But then I've said it before too: I've never met a musician my age that had perfect pitch that was significantly better them myself or any of my peers. In fact they are usually rather terrible...or atleast all the ones I've met.