PDA

View Full Version : Legato

Greg
01-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Greetings planet earth!

So Iīm sitting here working on my legato-technique, and I keep getting unwanted noise from adjacent strings when doing pull-offs. I was wondering if anyone has some tips? Do you mute adjacent strings with the index finger? Letīs say you play 4-1-2-4-2-1, how would you in detail describe the procedure?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg
01-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Even better, letīs use this run in C major as an example:

Bizarro
01-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Hi Greg,

One of the things I do is mute the other strings with my left hand index fingertip. If you place your finger just right, you can mute the strings above and below it by just barely touching them with the edges of your finger.

Let's see if this picture helps at all! You can sort of see how my index finger is touching the low E string, and you'll have to take my word for it that I'm muting the D string. ;)

I also mute with my right hand palm and fingers, plus other fingers on my left hand if applicable.

Take your time and find the noise sources, then try eliminate them one by one. That's how I go about doing it...

Greg
01-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I think I get it now.

Greg
02-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Iīve seen alot of threads about pull-offs, but I couldnīt find an answer to this question:
Iīm having trouble playing the C-major run I posted earlier using legato, because everytime I change string, my fingers get, for lack of a better word, clumsy... I can play 4-3-1-4-3-1 on the same string using legato, but when itīs time to change string, I mess up. Yes, I know the answer is more practise ;) , I was just hoping anyone out there had some good tips to narrow down the time factor...

EricV
02-04-2003, 07:58 PM
One "trick" I use a lot to do things like that one is to use a "mini-bar"... meaning that I i.e. fret both the E- and B-String at the 10th fret, do the pull offīs on the E-string, then skip to the B-String...
Thatīs why I like 3 NPS-patterns so much... very symetrical, itīs easy to separate them into little bar-thingies...
Hope this helps
Eric

Greg
02-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks Eric, thatīs a good idea. However, what about if I have to change position, like in this example? The "mini-bar" technique would be great between the 1st group and the 2nd, and between the 3rd and the 4th, but what about between the 2nd and 3rd group?? My guess is that I have to be able to put each finger down quickly in position before I pull off the 4th finger, right? Any good advice on practise routines for pull-offs?

EricV
02-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey there,

yes, those are the problematic parts. And youīre right regarding putting the fingers in position quickly.

To practise that kinda legato stuff, Iīd recommend to simply start with 4-3-1 patterns on all strings, all over the fretboard. That should help you started with the "mini-bar-approach" :)

Then, you can start something like 5-3-2 ( next string: ) 4-3-1 etc. ( like the one in your most recent example ). Make up different chromatic exercises, trying to get all different combinations patterns.
Itīs important to make sure that
a) every note rings out clearly
b) every note is in time
c) You donīt use any more strength than you really need to use.
Hope this helps
Eric

Greg
02-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by EricV
That should help you started with the "mini-bar-approach" :)

Man, Iīm getting thirsty...

Thanks for the help, Eric!

EricV
02-04-2003, 10:39 PM
I had that one coming, huh ?
Well, here are some pull off-exercises...
Hope this helps
Eric

Greg
02-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by EricV
I had that one coming, huh ?
I tried to stop it, but I was completely helpless against its powers... :D

Anyway, great exercises! Thank you very much, this is just what I need! :)

By the way, doesnīt Greg Howe use these "mini-bars" alot?

Bizarro
02-05-2003, 06:26 AM
You might also work on trills with the third and fourth fingers. Hold a note with your third finger and trill with your pinky.

It'll take about 10 seconds for your hand to get tired!:)

When I was working on legato a lot (back in the 80's) I used a horrible acoustic guitar with big strings and a cheap bass guitar to practice on. These instruments were so hard to play that I was forced to work out the kinks. I was rather sadistic back then.
:p

EricV
02-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Greg

By the way, doesnīt Greg Howe use these "mini-bars" alot?

Yes he does, as explained int he profile... Heīs doing some very cool licks with that technique

Eric

EricV
02-05-2003, 02:06 PM
2 more rather simple examples of Howeīs "bar-approach"...

Eric

Greg
02-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Thank you all for your help.